GDT: Devils @ Senators 2/6/18 7:30PM

Nicomo

Agreed with the last few comments.  When I saw it happen live, I had to say to myself "Did he just knee Hall in the back of the head?", and I made sure to watch the replays they showed to see if it was just incidental contact as the players were wrestling around on the ground in a pile.  On the second look, it clearly was intentional, so Burrows is a scumbag, we know that.  But in terms of Greene doing more? Hard to really be mad at him because in a scrum like that, you're eyes and ears are all over the place.  Just like refs missing a penalty, players can easily not see everything going on around them with all that commotion.  Not sure how many people here play hockey, but I do, and I've been involved in many melees over 25-some years, and I can easily remember after the game recalling with my teammates what went down in a given fight, and many guys always have their own version and things they saw and didn't see.  It's just normal.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think Greene would've had the same rabid-dog-like expression on his face that Stevens did when Domi destroyed Nieds, but I do think he would've at least went after him more than he did.  I just don't think he had a good angle of it.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ottawa's last seven wins have come against:  Columbus, San Jose, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Anaheim, Philadelphia, and the Devils.  It's not like they don't ever beat teams well ahead of them in the standings.

Bad teams beat good teams all the time, but for some reason some fans still insist on thinking this doesn't happen as often as it does.  And though the Devils have a pretty solid record to this point at 27-17-8, this is not a team that enjoys a whole lot of laughers.  They're competitive a lot of nights, but many of their games are hard-fought.  And they're not exactly getting consistent goaltending either...they haven't in quite some time, really. 

I had just finished the game and I was quite pissed off, your response is much more cooled down than mine lol

I do agree with a lot of your points. I don't normally hate on our players but I just don't like the guy whatsoever. He annoys the hell out of me and add that with his poor decisions here and there and I'm just done with it. 

Burrows is a horrible hockey player at this point in his career. Ottawa would love it if he got a really long suspension. I say don't suspend and force them to play him.

Or, maybe we want him out of the lineup so Ottawa wins a few more  games and has a worse chance at winning the lotto.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

It is true that no one threw cheap shots at Devils players when those guys were around.  Like my rock that keeps tigers away.  Haven't seen a tiger yet!

When we had our rocks we had less tigers. Now we don't have a rock and there are more tigers.

Here's the kicker. The tigers talk among themselves about the lack of rocks that allow them free reign. 

But surely adding a rock would have no effect

You can't be such a slave to cold hard advanced analytics. The Devils now have a reputation as a fast young finesse team but softer than usual. Naturally other teams will take more liberties with us than before. To rough us up and intimidate and take more cheap shots. All you have to do is observe. No calculus involved

Edited by '7'
  • Like 2

here is my problem with these suspensions, most of the games are served against other teams... the suspension should be for future games against the team that the act occurred, who cares if Marchand misses games against Detriot or San jose, all 5 games should be served when Boston plays NJ, even if it means playoff games...

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

And maybe that's all it is. But there's been a lot of stupidity thrown in our direction lately, and someone in the organization needs to step up and say it. 

John Hynes' composure has been an annoyance for me. Can he please stick up for his players? He's watching them get kneed in the head, get elbowed and concussed, get raked over with the most asinine calls and reviews, continue to be near the bottom of the league in Power Play opportunities...and he just stands there.

Can he start yelling and giving sh!t to the refs! Take a damn suspension or fine! 'He is what he is' all he said re Burrows!! You have to be kidding me. Captain and coach need to start speaking up and saying something! Wheres Robbie's Ftorek when you need him. 

4 hours ago, Marshall said:

I get wanting revenge, sticking up for a teammate etc, but at that point they were down three and Greene getting a minor for being third man in in a situation which initially might as well have been called coincidental minors is a tough sell for me. I can understand being angry about not getting revenge later, but Devils were still in it. 

Yeah but you know what...Greene jumping in would've caused the refs to give Burrows more penalty time. That's how arbitrary refs have been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '7' said:

When we had our rocks we had less tigers. Now we don't have a rock and there are more tigers.

Here's the kicker. The tigers talk among themselves about the lack of rocks that allow them free reign. 

But surely adding a rock would have no effect

You can't be such a slave to cold hard advanced analytics. The Devils now have a reputation as a fast young finesse team but softer than usual. Naturally other teams will take more liberties with us than before. To rough us up and intimidate and take more cheap shots. All you have to do is observe. No calculus involved

So when Rinaldo slew foots Parise - after the whistle - in 2012 in a game where Boulton dressed, what does that say?  Or when Worrell runs every Devil in games where Oliwa dressed, and we can go on and on about all the cheap shots the Devils took when they dressed goons because goons don't deter anything.  Alex Burrows has been in the league for over a decade, he has a reputation as being a dirty player, and no one has somehow convinced him not to do this stuff.  I'm sure people have beat him up.  It doesn't matter.  It didn't matter when Claude Lemieux did the stuff he did.  These guys have played this way their whole lives and catching a beating for it isn't going to stop them.  It just feels good to do it, that's all.

57 minutes ago, redruM said:

here is my problem with these suspensions, most of the games are served against other teams... the suspension should be for future games against the team that the act occurred, who cares if Marchand misses games against Detriot or San jose, all 5 games should be served when Boston plays NJ, even if it means playoff games...

I agree with this and I wonder when the league will come around to it.  I'd mitigate it somewhat - that a suspension must, by default, include all other games against the team that season, but that the Devils would get to pick which other games Burrows would miss.  The thing is, I imagine that in the past teams didn't want this because they want to get their own revenge on that guy.

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agreed with the last few comments.  When I saw it happen live, I had to say to myself "Did he just knee Hall in the back of the head?", and I made sure to watch the replays they showed to see if it was just incidental contact as the players were wrestling around on the ground in a pile.  On the second look, it clearly was intentional, so Burrows is a scumbag, we know that.  But in terms of Greene doing more? Hard to really be mad at him because in a scrum like that, you're eyes and ears are all over the place.  Just like refs missing a penalty, players can easily not see everything going on around them with all that commotion.  Not sure how many people here play hockey, but I do, and I've been involved in many melees over 25-some years, and I can easily remember after the game recalling with my teammates what went down in a given fight, and many guys always have their own version and things they saw and didn't see.  It's just normal.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think Greene would've had the same rabid-dog-like expression on his face that Stevens did when Domi destroyed Nieds, but I do think he would've at least went after him more than he did.  I just don't think he had a good angle of it.

I’ve played for the better part of 20 years, so similar time line as you have.  I’ve been in the situation you described quite a few times as well. Problem is you clearly see Greene watch what’s about to happen, reacts to it, then does practically as little as possible. That’s a star player and for your best reaction to be a pathetic face wash is a joke. He also was RIGHT THERE before they went to the ice. No excuse he could ever provide will change my opinion, he was right there. I’m not debating he missed the knees hell I missed them watching if live, but he wanted no part of the upright scrum. I know I’ve grabbed people, face hugger style just to try and pry them off of teammamtes before without dropping the gloves and not get called as next man in. I am in no way drawing the parallel between college and beer league, but he didn’t even drop his freaking stick, come on.

Once it went to the ground, like you said all bets were off because of the chaos and cloud of adrenaline.

I saw a post or two about the refs already being there, but Greene was literally the first one there.

1 hour ago, lazer said:

these refs should face some hearing...its not as if they didnt see it

I'm still astounded how two officials can be standing right over this, observing, and give 2 mins extra! These refs absolutely must face a hearing. Anything less than 10 games for Burrows too would be tragic.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marshall said:

I get wanting revenge, sticking up for a teammate etc, but at that point they were down three and Greene getting a minor for being third man in in a situation which initially might as well have been called coincidental minors is a tough sell for me. I can understand being angry about not getting revenge later, but Devils were still in it. 

Greene should have done something in part because of the score. Not very lilkely you are coming back from a 3 goal deficit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Greene should have done something in part because of the score. Not very lilkely you are coming back from a 3 goal deficit.

You're getting a power play and half the game is left.  I guarantee I would read lots of takes about how stupid it was for Greene to get involved if he had taken a penalty.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Triumph said:

You're getting a power play and half the game is left.  I guarantee I would read lots of takes about how stupid it was for Greene to get involved if he had taken a penalty.

maybe but that wouldn't be my take, as I posted just the other day I believe that togetherness and standing up for each other may not win you every battle but helps you win the war. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Absolutely, the Devils had to continue to try and win the game. Maybe one more goal and that would have changed things.