GDT - Devils vs Flames 2/8/18

NJDfan1711

47 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I think you're conflating disagreement with hate. I don't think many people here hate Hynes, especially with how good he did with the team early on. We are still free to disagree with his lineups/how he handles the young kids at times. 

Pretty much this. Players always rise to the occasion against old teams(shades of Wedge going full Hasek on us). Giving a player a nod to play his old team that sent him away is kind of a unwritten courtesy as well. With Kink playing like poo you'd think Hynes would have given Lack the start. That's all. #nohateforhynes

Perhaps.  To me it just seems like there's a lot of rage and disdain whenever Hynes' name is brought up.  But if it's just simple disagreement, I get it.  

To your other comment though, while it's always nice to give a goalie a chance to stick it to his old team, when Schneider faced the Canucks the first few times he played them after joining us, I don't remember him having particularly good games... =/

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever Lack shouldn't start this game. Hynes really drives me insane sometimes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lack should start. But this has got to be Keith's last chance before being sent down. If not, I'm lost as to what Hynes is thinking.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hynes just makes me wanna bang my head against a wall with some his decisions. It's asinine to me that Kinkaid is playing, to say nothing of the idiotic decision to sit Mueller for Lovejoy. I've said it before, but this guy won't be the coach when this team is ready to compete for a Cup.

Yeah, I though Mueller was strides better than Lovejoy last game but w.e.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

I guess I would've preferred to see Lack start simply for the revenge factor but other than that I don't really feel like there is a big difference in the two goaltenders. They're both below average so whatever... hopefully he makes some fvcking saves tonight.

Also don't understand the outrage over Lovejoy who has been good with Butcher... Lovejoy being in the lineup is not why we got sh!t on by Ottawa.

Re:  Lack/KK...yeah, I wouldn't have minded seeing Lack in there, especially with KK being so damned game-to-game.  Sometimes coaches try the "C'mon man, I believe in you, here's another chance" approach, in an almost desperate attempt to get someone going. 

Just now, Steven M. said:

I guess I would've preferred to see Lack start simply for the revenge factor but other than that I don't really feel like there is a big difference in the two goaltenders. They're both below average so whatever... hopefully he makes some fvcking saves tonight.

Also don't understand the outrage over Lovejoy who has been good with Butcher... Lovejoy being in the lineup is not why we got sh!t on by Ottawa.

Lack since the start of 2015-16 (59 games):  .898 save%.  I'm curious to see what he can do too, but yeah, I get the feeling he's not going to make that much of a difference if he starts getting KK's minutes.  But if KK has another rough one, gotta think that Lack will get a look in Saturday night's game.  Like I said earlier in the post, this might very well be a "You better get it done this time; I'm giving you one more chance" maneuver by Hynes.  If there was someone ready to go with a more compelling recent track record than Lack, Hynes might've acted differently.

LGD!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

KK is, as everyone is in agreement, a backup, no one is really looking for him to put up starters numbers and understandably so. However, after 4 games, including one horrendous period in the last one, even a regular starter would be understandably given a game off. Lack is the more experienced goalie at the NHL level, and its not even close [141 appearances to KK's 87, almost 3000 minutes difference] so that argument is completely out the window. Lack gave us his best to stay in the game vs Ottawa but a 3 goal hole is really hard to overcome, regardless of the opponent. Lack should have been in net tonight if not for anything other than a chance of pace and if he gives up 3 in the first, then pull him and not wait for the 4th to be potted.

What irked me second most other than the assault in the Ott game was that KKs rebound control was abysmal in the first and got worse starting the second and you knew that 4th was only a matter of time. It didn't outright cost us the game, but Hynes trying to stick with him was a contributing factor.

That is why I wanted Lack tonight on top of his clear motivation to give it to the team that crapped on him.

What's funny is that over the past couple of seasons that's how I gauge early on in a game about how KK will be.  Every time I see him give up these huge rebounds early on I always get that feeling I am in for a long night.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s not surprising. It’s just funny. Like when everyone wanted to trade Schneider and go forwar with KK, or when they were calling for Appleby to start after 5 minutes in the NHL, etc...

Devils social media when every two bit goaltender not named Schneider has a good period:

"Reminds me of Marty!"

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hynes just makes me wanna bang my head against a wall with some his decisions. It's asinine to me that Kinkaid is playing, to say nothing of the idiotic decision to sit Mueller for Lovejoy. I've said it before, but this guy won't be the coach when this team is ready to compete for a Cup.

And when we get screwed over by the refs or see our players concussed we'll watch Hynes just stand there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s not surprising. It’s just funny. Like when everyone wanted to trade Schneider and go forwar with KK, or when they were calling for Appleby to start after 5 minutes in the NHL, etc...

Not too many people around here wanted to trade Cory and go with Kinkaid, that's much more of a Facebook group opinion. 

I wanted Appleby to start simply because he's not Kinkaid lol 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm just sick of Kinkaid, I like nothing about the guy. His stupid Twitter posts and piss poor play. Hopefully he can bounce back tonight but I have 0 confidence in him. I don't have any real complaints about Hynes. 

Stay out of the box. 

LETS GO DEVILS!!! 

Odd reason for hope:  whenever KK's save% threatens to drop below .890 (it's currently at .893), he plays better...whenever he's about to flirt with .900, the opposite.

So this should be a good night for him I guess?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

What's funny is that over the past couple of seasons that's how I gauge early on in a game about how KK will be.  Every time I see him give up these huge rebounds early on I always get that feeling I am in for a long night.

I've always found rebound control to be somewhat of an unfair blackmark for goalies.  Sure there are some goalies who tend to be better at it than others, but (and this isn't aimed at you specifically), do you know what it actually takes to control rebounds?  It's hard enough to suppress them and try to keep pucks from shooting off your pads back into the slot or a prime scoring area, let alone actually be good enough and have the skill to deflect shots to where your defenseman are/out of harms way.   You could survey 100 goalies about how and why they block shots and what their hopeful outcome is when the puck is coming towards them, and maybe half of them would say, if they could, they'd prefer to scoop the puck up with their glove and get a whistle, as that's logically probably the safest way of not allowing a goal, but a lot of times, and those other half of the goalies surveyed, would probably say they actually prefer to stop it with their pads, and keep the puck moving.  We all hate when there are countless stoppages and interruptions in play -- goalies are no different.  They want to keep the play going, ideally and obviously with the puck down the other end in the hands of their forwards.  But the majority of the time... the when the puck comes at them their first job is to stop it, regardless of how, when, and especially where, the puck ends up after said stop is made.  

I know that was long-winded, and probably didn't make much sense lol, but I think overall rebound control is one of the hardest things to master as a goalie, and in general can be a pretty harsh criticism. 

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I've always found rebound control to be somewhat of an unfair blackmark for goalies.  Sure there are some goalies who tend to be better at it than others, but (and this isn't aimed at you specifically), do you know what it actually takes to control rebounds?  It's hard enough to suppress them and try to keep pucks from shooting off your pads back into the slot or a prime scoring area, let alone actually be good enough and have the skill to deflect shots to where your defenseman are/out of harms way.   You could survey 100 goalies about how and why they block shots and what their hopeful outcome is when the puck is coming towards them, and maybe half of them would say, if they could, they'd prefer to scoop the puck up with their glove and get a whistle, as that's logically probably the safest way of not allowing a goal, but a lot of times, and those other half of the goalies surveyed, would probably say they actually prefer to stop it with their pads, and keep the puck moving.  We all hate when there are countless stoppages and interruptions in play -- goalies are no different.  They want to keep the play going, ideally and obviously with the puck down the other end in the hands of their forwards.  But the majority of the time... the when the puck comes at them their first job is to stop it, regardless of how, when, and especially where, the puck ends up after said stop is made.  

I know that was long-winded, and probably didn't make much sense lol, but I think overall rebound control is one of the hardest things to master as a goalie, and in general can be a pretty harsh criticism. 

I'm definitely the opposite. I feel two goalies who are on par with one another but one can control rebounds and the other cannot is what separates the good/great/elite from the alright. I'm not saying every single shot is controllable to the point of putting it in a place where it wont hurt you, but I feel it is definitely a trait that makes one a better goalie and matters.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Devils social media when every two bit goaltender not named Schneider has a good period:

"Reminds me of Marty!"

The only way KK or Lack should remind anyone of Marty is if they bang their sister in law. 

35 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Lack has more NHL starts than Kinkaid

Ok. Where was he playing a week ago?

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I like that people are pissed that a guy who was in the AHL like a week ago is not starting. 

I mean, its pretty fair. People are frustrated with KK's poor play and want to try something new. Lack is an experienced netminder who has had success in the NHL and was a starter for short stints. He ain't a sure thing but it's worth a shot.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Perhaps.  To me it just seems like there's a lot of rage and disdain whenever Hynes' name is brought up.  But if it's just simple disagreement, I get it.  

To your other comment though, while it's always nice to give a goalie a chance to stick it to his old team, when Schneider faced the Canucks the first few times he played them after joining us, I don't remember him having particularly good games... =/

If there is rage it isn't from me, not that you were implying it was from me. Anyway, obviously it isn't 100% they'll play well. Speaking anecdotally, usually the players rise to the occasion though. 

Hynes just said in the pregame Kink didn't have a good game in OTT, got pulled, and now lets see if he can bounce back and give the team a chance to win. So Hynes recognizes that he didn't play well at least last game, and really the last several games he has started he really hasn't, but he went with him anyway. If he plays like sh!t this time I just hope Hynes finally gives Lack a chance if Cory isn't ready.