2018 UFA Thread

Derlique

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess the guy felt like he had more of a shot with the Panthers. 

It's actually a little bizarre to me, it's not like the Devils are overflowing with NHL-ready LHD or D in general. I wonder if Florida made a strong commitment to putting him on the opening day roster.

6 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

They hold his his rights until the end of this upcoming season. Kind of like Kovy. They put him on voluntary retirement. And the LAKings have the worst winger situation in the league. They will need to trade pieces,  maybe Voynov as well to acquire what they need. 

I thought they terminated his deal, I didn't realize it was a "retirement". Looking at some articles, I see they were ready to, but then didn't have to because Voynov left. 

In any event, it seems unlikely that they would bring him back, so I guess it'd be a situation where he has to be traded. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I thought they terminated his deal, I didn't realize it was a "retirement". Looking at some articles, I see they were ready to, but then didn't have to because Voynov left. 

In any event, it seems unlikely that they would bring him back, so I guess it'd be a situation where he has to be traded. 

If he is allowed back into the NHL, I suspect a package with Martinez/Muzzin and/or picks for a top winger.

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't really buy the, "he's an offensive d-man and the Devils have PP QBs argument either." No matter who you spin it, McDonald would have real good shot at playing time on the Devils in 2018-19.

No, he wouldn't.  There's 4 lefties ahead of him on the depth chart right now.  Your 5th D on one side usually gets in a few games, but it's not hard to look at Will Butcher who is 2 years younger than MacDonald and is already established on the roster and think there has to be a better spot.

12 minutes ago, Triumph said:

No, he wouldn't.  There's 4 lefties ahead of him on the depth chart right now.  Your 5th D on one side usually gets in a few games, but it's not hard to look at Will Butcher who is 2 years younger than MacDonald and is already established on the roster and think there has to be a better spot.

I don't think all 4 of those lefties are locked into their spots. But I suppose Florida is pretty light on D, so there's that.

Not sure how I feel about it. I want to believe people deserve second chances but it was an egregious crime and he didn't do much time for it although he lost a lot of wages I guess. Idk how much he made in the KHL. 

Do you guys remember the Mike Danton story? 

Edited by NJDevils1214

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bettman will probably let him back in. I have no faith in him to do the right thing.

I feel like its a no-brainer he'll let him back, and I think he should. If there are teams that want him, then he is the douche who blocks him from playing. Might be better to just pass the buck onto the teams, see which of them want to employ a guy like that despite his history. 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This has been one of the most utterly boring FA/post-draft periods I’ve ever seen....

Outside of the resolution of the Tavares thing, which happened pretty much immediately rendering it completely drama-less and boring, you are totally correct. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not sure how I feel about it. I want to believe people deserve second chances but it was an egregious crime and he didn't do much time for it although he lost a lot of wages I guess. Idk how much he made in the KHL. 

Do you guys remember the Mike Danton story? 

Based on one article he was tied for the 2nd largest salary with Datsyuk at 270 million. Only Kovy was higher at 330 million. He didn't lose anything. 

I remember the whole Danton story but that guy never played another game in the NHL after all that stuff came out. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Yep - good for him - one way! 
Mike Morreale Retweeted OohTKrPZ_bigger.jpg&key=24aab26886ace7c4135d0ee0bb1f3869082b40061198a64fc9ecb3ac1a094642Renaud Lavoie‏ @renlavoietva 27s27 seconds ago More

Brian Gibbons signed a one year deal with the @AnaheimDucks at $1M. It's his first one way deal.

The only player in Devils history to score a 3-on-5 goal. Good luck in So Cal my man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The only player in Devils history to score a 3-on-5 goal. Good luck in So Cal my man.

I thought Scott Niedermayer did? Although he was dragged down on a breakway and scored it on e penalty shot?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Amanda isn’t a UFA, but this was the much debated about news:

ugh.

I also unfollowed Abbey for good a couple weeks back.  She is a glorified sports ticker who rather report on the Mets anyways.

• Haha 1

I thought Scott Niedermayer did? Although he was dragged down on a breakway and scored it on e penalty shot?

You’re right, Nieds did it in the 2000 playoffs against Florida. Gibbons is the only Devil to do it in the regular season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1