William Nylander: Should the Devil's be interested? Do we have the assets?

Chimaira_Devil_#9

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would almost rather go in my pants than in the bathroom at an airport. The only saving grace is they don't put doors on the exterior, so you can wash your hands and then not touch anything. 

My wife and my daughter always "need" to go right before the flight, which is one thing, but also right after the flight, when everyone goes into the first bathroom they encounter. You can literally walk another 100 yards or less and there's another one that's completely empty. 

Pretty much every other airport outside of Newark has nicer bathrooms.  I go to Austin a few times a year and those bathrooms are far nicer.  It is more of a Newark Airport thing than airports in general IMO.

The Penn Station one is a nightmare because more than one occasion I have seen a homeless person pretty much bathe in there.  That is not pleasant to put it lightly.

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Butcher's a soon-to-be RFA due to a raise.  I think that's why Toronto would much rather get Smith (who hasn't even started his ELC yet).  They'd want as little salary back as possible.  And I'd tell them no on Smith. 

Fair point.  Toronto probably still needs to clear some salary so..

Terrible Proposal Alert:

Butcher / McLeod / Santini / 1st

for

Kadri / Nylander / Zaitsev (no retention)

Tear it apart, boys.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Terrible Proposal Alert:

for

Tear it apart, boys.

If McLeod continues at the pace he's been at for the past couple of games, I think the Leafs would do that in a second as it solves their cap issues for the foreseeable future and they don't have to worry about an offer sheet to Matthews or Marner.  From the Devils standpoint though, I would not give up a first for this year unless there's a big turn around.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Terrible Proposal Alert:

for

Tear it apart, boys.

Leafs would never do this.  Kadri is a hugely valuable player for them.  Now I agree that something with Nylander/Zaitsev could work for them, but this is not that.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Pretty much every other airport outside of Newark has nicer bathrooms.  I go to Austin a few times a year and those bathrooms are far nicer.  It is more of a Newark Airport thing than airports in general IMO.

The Penn Station one is a nightmare because more than one occasion I have seen a homeless person pretty much bathe in there.  That is not pleasant to put it lightly.

Dallas has as clean of bathrooms as one could expect for a major hub airport. I travel through there no fewer than 6 times a year and am seldom even remotely as disgusted as I am as I travel to Newark. I'm actually concerned when I have to take the twins through Newark in December about cleanliness. Its a damn shame cause I remember when Newark was the best of the 3 local airports.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Leafs would never do this.  Kadri is a hugely valuable player for them.  Now I agree that something with Nylander/Zaitsev could work for them, but this is not that.

Not like it means anything that the team would do/shop but wasn't it this training camp that Canadian media were speculating Kadri was the expendable player up there due to his salary and being a moveable piece? Or was that just us on here hoping? I honestly cannot remember.

I really like Nylander, and would love it if Shero could somehow pull this off.  Toronto's priorities are cap relief and defense, and I don't think the Devils are the best match. In order to make this happen, I think Toronto would want an NHL-ready D prospect (i.e. Smith) who can come in and be effective on an ELC, or a defenseman already on an ELC for the next couple of years. Otherwise, even if the Devils took Zaitsev's contract, the Leafs would still need a LOT of space to sign Marner and Matthews next season. Trading them Butcher without an extension in place, and no idea of what his cap hit would be next season, would not exactly solve their problem. 

The only other way I could see this happening is if they somehow were able to convince Marleau to come here. That'll help with their cap situation tremendously. It would only be for one additional season after this one, which wouldn't be the worst thing for us.

Nylander + Marleau + Zaitsev

for

Butcher + X + Conditional (lottery protected) 1st

I think 'X' has to be someone so good that it makes the trade unreasonable from the Devils' side. Wood doesn't get it done, in my opinion, which means it would have to be Bratt, which I don't think I would want to do. Although we would be "helping" them by taking Marleau and Zaitsev, Zaitsev is still an asset.

Also, while I love having Hall here and trust that he has liked it, we still have no idea at this point if he is going to stay. If he were to sign elsewhere, we will be needing those first round picks. A lot of this team's future success is contingent on Hall sticking around, and I would not want to gamble with first round picks if we enter another retool soon.

20 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Butcher is a 3rd pairing defenseman on the worst defensive roster in the league... he has some beautiful escape moves when he finally gets the puck tho. in a heartbeat!

Butcher scored a point every other game in his rookie season and is young and raw yet people want to cast him off already after a slump in which blown coverages mainly from our forwards are killing our defensive record...man oh man. Mind you we don’t have defensemen growing on trees we can just replace him with. Also Nylander isn’t the answer to our problems. Even with Matthews he’s not a ppg player.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Butcher is a 3rd pairing defenseman on the worst defensive roster in the league... he has some beautiful escape moves when he finally gets the puck tho. in a heartbeat!

Butcher is a 3rd pairing defenseman because the coaching staff is intent on putting guys like Greene and Lovejoy ahead of him.  Realistically, Butcher is a #3 or #4 defenseman, with quite a bit of potential.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Butcher is a 3rd pairing defenseman because the coaching staff is intent on putting guys like Greene and Lovejoy ahead of him.  Realistically, Butcher is a #3 or #4 defenseman, with quite a bit of potential.

They also put him on that pairing to set him up to have more offensive opportunity by not having to play against top lines. Yea, he isn't ready to take on the other team's top talent shift for shift yet, however it isn't like there isn't some strategy in putting him on that paring either.

• Like 1