Race To The Bottom II - 2018-19 Edition

Triumph

On 3/15/2019 at 7:57 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

Wow, is he really?  That's nuts.  He has to have played like pure sh!t lately. 

Kovy was a healthy scratch last night to boot.  Kings really fvcked on that contract...maybe they deal him for another sh!t (but relatively short-term) contract as a “what the hell, why not?” kind of move.

Anyway, yeah, looking like 28th overall barring any real surprises.  Devils have been getting solid goaltending lately from Cory and Mac.  They’re managing to stay in a lot of games lately.  

Devils lose, Anaheim and Vancouver win.  Great day for the tank.  It's nearly impossible for the Devils to go up now - the Devils are 6 points back with 10 games left for them to play, 9 for Anaheim.

26:  NYR -3

27:  ANA -5

28:  NJD -10

29:  DET -12

30:  LAK -13

31:  OTT -16

• Like 1

After yesterday's loss, we're officially eliminated.  Pretty amazing that Los Angeles hasn't been eliminated yet, but that just goes to show how much better the East really has been this year compared to the West.  If you look at that Conference, I think the top 5 teams ending with Vegas are really the only strong ones that have a shot at going on a deep playoff run...the others are quite mediocre at best.

Here's the updated playoff race:

image.png.b34813cc7d54478400225fd72292a89b.png

Edited by NJDfan1711

the main reason i want to be as low as possible is not as much to give ourselve the best chance to land with #1... i just don't want to fall back too much.

Last year Ottawa and Arizona we're pushed out of the top 3 cause MTL and Carolina won a top 3 spot. 

in 2017, we won the draft, Dallas and philly won too.. which pushed back the whole bottom 3 up to 4,5,6. 

So there's really potential to be pushed 3 spots back if teams ahead of us are really really lucky.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

the main reason i want to be as low as possible is not as much to give ourselve the best chance to land with #1... i just don't want to fall back too much.

Last year Ottawa and Arizona we're pushed out of the top 3 cause MTL and Carolina won a top 3 spot. 

in 2017, we won the draft, Dallas and philly won too.. which pushed back the whole bottom 3 up to 4,5,6. 

So there's really potential to be pushed 3 spots back if teams ahead of us are really really lucky.

Bingo, exactly.

Disaster scenario here is us drafting like 5-8.  Holy sh!t would that be disappointing. 

36 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Bingo, exactly.

Disaster scenario here is us drafting like 5-8.  Holy sh!t would that be disappointing. 

The Devils are much more likely to be drafting there than anywhere else.  They can maybe slip to 3rd worst but it's going to be hard to fall any farther - the teams beneath them are also fvcking terrible.  From 4th worst, they're 68% to pick 5-7 and from 3rd worst they're 54% to be picking 5th or 6th.  

I can’t be worried about it. There's a lottery system, so you aren’t guaranteed a top 5 pick. Sometimes a team gets lucky and wins a higher pick. Nothing at all we can do about it. 

Just draft the best guy available when we pick. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I can’t be worried about it. There's a lottery system, so you aren’t guaranteed a top 5 pick. Sometimes a team gets lucky and wins a higher pick. Nothing at all we can do about it. 

Just draft the best guy available when we pick.

Absolutely must hit on picks that high. Another Zacha would be catastrophic. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

yeah that one is starting to sting. That was a stacked draft to come away with Zacha at 6th overall is a pretty bad miss.

id say at this point although people still try to defend him .. what we see is what we have with him. 

Calgary clinched on Sunday, but my spreadsheet was only taking into account current points compared to points possible, so with them having 95 and Minnesota still being able to achieve 95, it wasn't reflecting that.  I modified the result column to include points possible AND regulation or overtime wins along with the total number of games remaining.  

image.png.c13c386a21b1ac931779269ae53556f7.png

Does anyone find this useful?  Our team sucks and although I'm watching every game still and can't wait until we can begin to talk about the draft, at this point because I'm still a hockey fan I'm basically paying more attention to the rest of the league down the stretch. If no one cares though, I won't post daily updates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Absolutely must hit on picks that high. Another Zacha would be catastrophic. 

The thing is, Zacha WAS considered close to the best player available when he was picked. The highest rated forwards left at the time were him and Crouse. In fact I remember most people were terrified that we would take Crouse who was a prototypical Conte pick.

I trust Shero to make the right call on this one, however. He seems to have a much better track record. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

16 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The thing is, Zacha WAS considered close to the best player available when he was picked. The highest rated forwards left at the time were him and Crouse. In fact I remember most people were terrified that we would take Crouse who was a prototypical Conte pick.

I trust Shero to make the right call on this one, however. He seems to have a much better track record. 

Zacha was almost as controversial as Crouse in that Zacha did not have the production that you would expect from a top ten pick.  Zacha got something of a break in that regard since it was his first year in North America and he played through some injuries.  Obviously, he was more talented than Crouse, but neither truly dominated the OHL in their draft +1 year.  My educated guess is that Conte's board in 2015 was:  McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Zacha.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Calgary clinched on Sunday, but my spreadsheet was only taking into account current points compared to points possible, so with them having 95 and Minnesota still being able to achieve 95, it wasn't reflecting that.  I modified the result column to include points possible AND regulation or overtime wins along with the total number of games remaining.  

image.png.c13c386a21b1ac931779269ae53556f7.png

Does anyone find this useful?  Our team sucks and although I'm watching every game still and can't wait until we can begin to talk about the draft, at this point because I'm still a hockey fan I'm basically paying more attention to the rest of the league down the stretch. If no one cares though, I won't post daily updates. 

I always appreciate the analysis from you and everyone else.

Not much else to really analyze at this point lol

• Like 1

Detroit blowing that game would've been fine as long as it went to OT - the Rangers have started to enter the picture in an unpleasant way.  All the relevant games are done so I will just do this now.

26:  NYR -4

27:  ANA -5

28:  NJD -11

29:  DET -11

30:  LAK -14

31:  OTT -16

With 8 games remaining for the Devils and Anaheim and 6 points separating them, the scenarios for the Devils finishing in 27th or higher grow ever more remote.