2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

26 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I never said anything remotely close to that.  I think that's the issue you've had the whole time, and I'm not sure where it's coming from.  I know you're going to say I implied it, but I did not.  I just really don't understand why me saying "I can't believe we're still talking about KK" is such an objectionable statement to make. SD hit it on the head - it was merely an observation. In any event, I'm over it and moving on. 

I check the out of town scoreboard quite frequently I and I noticed had had 6 points in 6 games the other day.  Was pretty surprised to see that, considering how bad of a season he had in his return to the NHL last year.  I know people hate him and think he sucks now or is overrated at least, but given the fact that the Kings are pretty much a mess, the fact that he's still a point per game player, especially at his age, is somewhat of an accomplishment

Last season Kovy had a 9-point burst over four games, and later had a 9-points-in-11-games run; of course, he wound up with just 34 points in 64 GP for the year...a guy like him can still provide offense here and there, but it looks like his days of being able to do it consistently in the NHL are very likely over.

Basically, I can't make anything out of a pretty good offensive start to this season...it's just too small of a sample size.  Hell, you could even pick apart his limited sample this year...only one point in his last four GP.  And he's now a -34 in 72 GP as a King. 

I actually don't hate him...I did like the fact that he was starting to become a more complete player here, but if anything I'm glad that he didn't stick around, if he was that unhappy to be a Devil (or in America).  His presence under those circumstances would've been toxic. 

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Last season Kovy had a 9-point burst over four games, and later had a 9-points-in-11-games run; of course, he wound up with just 34 points in 64 GP for the year...a guy like him can still provide offense here and there, but it looks like his days of being able to do it consistently in the NHL are very likely over.

Basically, I can't make anything out of a pretty good offensive start to this season...it's just too small of a sample size.  Hell, you could even pick apart his limited sample this year...only one point in his last four GP.  And he's now a -34 in 72 GP as a King. 

I actually don't hate him...I did like the fact that he was starting to become a more complete player here, but if anything I'm glad that he didn't stick around, if he was that unhappy to be a Devil (or in America).  His presence under those circumstances would've been toxic. 

Yeah, definitely too early to make any sort of meaningful determination.  I was just surprised to see him having somewhat of a decent start to the season.  After last year, I thought he was totally washed up.

EDIT:  To your last point, I don't hate him either.  Certainly don't like him, but it's been long enough now that to me he's irrelevant.

Edited by NJDfan1711

19 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

EDIT:  To your last point, I don't hate him either.  Certainly don't like him, but it's been long enough now that to me he's irrelevant.

I both hate him and think he's irrelevant. I don't know how to reconcile that, other than by saying I'm a fan and I am not required to be rational. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I both hate him and think he's irrelevant. I don't know how to reconcile that, other than by saying I'm a fan and I am not required to be rational. 

Part of me thinks I should hate him, but I just don't see the point.  I think I care a little more now that he's back in the NHL, because when he was with the KHL we hardly heard sh!t about him and it made it so much easier to forget him.  Still, he's old(er) now, and in a few years will probably be done from the league for good, and I think it's all but a certainty that he retires without a Cup, so while I won't go as far as saying I pity him, the reasons for me to hate him are less and less with each passing season.

22 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Part of me thinks I should hate him, but I just don't see the point.  I think I care a little more now that he's back in the NHL, because when he was with the KHL we hardly heard sh!t about him and it made it so much easier to forget him.  Still, he's old(er) now, and in a few years will probably be done from the league for good, and I think it's all but a certainty that he retires without a Cup, so while I won't go as far as saying I pity him, the reasons for me to hate him are less and less with each passing season.

You're lucky, I hold vendettas forever lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, definitely too early to make any sort of meaningful determination.  I was just surprised to see him having somewhat of a decent start to the season.  After last year, I thought he was totally washed up.

I would've hated him a lot more if he had stuck around and been sulking and miserable.  The fact that we didn't have to deal with any of that AND the fact that he completely left the NHL made it easier to mostly forget about him (outside of occasional glances at his KHL numbers). 

Of course, there were fans who lamented his leaving and wondered "what if?", as far as how productive he might have been had he stayed...but I never saw the merit in that.  The Devils would not have had the Kovy of 2011-12 who seemed to be all-in...they would've had the guy who seemingly had to be dragged back here after the lockout ended, and was no longer sure that he really wanted to play for the Devils, in the NHL, and in North America. 

I always saw getting Kovy off of our cap books so fast as a major win for Lou back then.  I really liked him in our cup run, but unfortunately that run was a last gasp and likely set the franchise back quite a bit.  It made Lou and others misevaluate what we had in the players on the team.

If we had a younger roster, like say the one we have now, then losing him would have hurt a lot more since the window of opportunity is just opening up.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

I never blamed Kovy for leaving really

The NHL went in another freagin lockout for months... owners wanted to take away even more money from players and it was a big drama. With his huge contract he was going to lose TONS of money.

While he was playing in his home country, being a star in front of HIS people and make even more money. Being happy. Hard to blame the guy for being like "okay screw the NHL i'm staying here"

So i always took it as a fvck the NHL and the owners, (which we were also alllll thinking and thinking about cancelling NHL subscriptions and season tickets etc etc)... so not the fvck the Devils really.

Rangers just got outshot 21-4 in the first period of their game...only down 1, but damn.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

Only down 10??

Lol typo...meant 1.  That’s what I get for not checking before posting.

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Rangers just got outshot 21-4 in the first period of their game...only down 10, but damn.  

A lot of the fans are calling for the same thing Kaapo is, especially because the team looks really bad on the ice. 

Kaapo is coming along just fine and there's a lot of pressure on him so I get his frustration - Jack has it too - but KK's comments are obviously unacceptable. Things can get lost in translation and taken out of context, but this is a bad look for Kakko, to be complaining after six or so games played. I'm not surprised though, I thought he had a bad attitude the night of the draft. 

He's only 18 though. So, he deserves a chance to mature. And I think he'll be a fine player. But yeah I'm pretty happy with Jack and how he's handled everything. The worst we get from him is a little grouchiness when someone implies he didn't look very good the first few games. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yikes. And they said Jack was the one that had some growing up to do...

Seriously shut up kid.  Just comes off as sounding entitled.  

That being said, 18-year-olds aren’t supposed to be finished products.  They say and do dumb things without realizing that they’re not making themselves look good, until someone explains why.  And then hopefully for them, they learn and become more mature as a result.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

My joke fell flat, I was actually pointing out people said Jack needs to literally grow up a bit more, but as far as his attitude I couldn’t be happier. Seems like a great kid. And we didn’t hear a word about him playing 3rd line, or the rough start.

Obviously way too early to make definitive statements, but I think Shero might be 2/2 on his #1OA picks. 

Also, boo, KK with an assist on the Rags tying goal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Rangers just got outshot 21-4 in the first period of their game...only down 1, but damn.  

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Only down 10??

Having been a Devil’s fan in the ‘80s I seem to recall having moments when I found the game on someplace like Prism (against the Flyers of course) and was happy to see we were only down 10.  😀  Then again I think my memory is embellishing things more than a bit.  More than thirty years later the primary memory I have from those years are disappointment.  

As an aside, for the first four years I started a hockey scrapbook each year in the hope that that would be the Devil’s year.  Of course I stopped not long before things really got going well for the Devils, but I think I still have parts of this scrapbook around.  Standings from the ‘80s, articles, etc.  If anyone is interested I can see what remnants there are of this old thing and scan some stuff in for the forum here.  I’m pretty sure I know where this stuff is.... if my memory isn’t failing too badly.

Edited by AEWHistory
  • Like 1