2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lmfao

Came here to post this.   I actually find Dangle pretty amusing but laughing at Toronto never gets old, especially after years of listening to their fans and media tell anyone who would listen that this group was going to tear the NHL a new a-hole.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I was listening to the Ray and Dregs deadline reaction show today. Interestingly enough, when Markstrom went down Vancouver asked their goalie coach Ian Clarke for a list of goalies and Domingue was pretty high up on it. 

That must have been an interesting list

How high on the list? Was he 5th??? Please tell me he was numero cinco...

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think its amazing when an emergency goalie gets the call, though I wouldn't call it the best part of the game like that article. But if you think about it, it is pretty odd lol. 

There's no other sport that would allow a non-professional into the game in that manner. But the alternative is to have to put a position player in goal, which endangers that player who probably doesn't know how to play goalie as well as Dave Ayres does. 

It happens so infrequently that I don't really see why its something that needs to be discussed. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think its amazing when an emergency goalie gets the call, though I wouldn't call it the best part of the game like that article. But if you think about it, it is pretty odd lol. 

There's no other sport that would allow a non-professional into the game in that manner. But the alternative is to have to put a position player in goal, which endangers that player who probably doesn't know how to play goalie as well as Dave Ayres does. 

It happens so infrequently that I don't really see why its something that needs to be discussed. 

I agree, not the best part of the sport but definitely something so unique that happens so rarely it seems silly to mess with. 

I remember once or twice back in the 90's when a goalie would be sick or injured and we'd rush of down from Albany. I specifically remember it happening where Peter Sidorkiewicz came down the tunnel halfway through the 1st period 

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Only the Good Ol' Boys club that is NHL ownership/management could view the emergency goalie situation as an embarrassment for the NHL rather than a nice feel good story that grabs the attention of non or casual fans as well as the media at large.

Imagine if a Rangers employee blows 3 goal lead of the Devils in the playoffs. I don't think that would be such a feel good story around here

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Imagine if a Rangers employee blows 3 goal lead of the Devils in the playoffs. I don't think that would be such a feel good story around here

That's a valid point. What's to stop that guy, if coming in for the opposing team, from just throwing the game? 

I promise you all, if I am ever a backup at the Rock for a Rangers-Devils game, and I have to come in for the Rangers, the Devils are winning that game lol.

• Haha 2

Just now, mfitz804 said:

That's a valid point. What's to stop that guy, if coming in for the opposing team, from just throwing the game? 

I promise you all, if I am ever a backup at the Rock for a Rangers-Devils game, and I have to come in for the Rangers, the Devils are winning that game lol.

I can guarantee whatever team is shooting on me will be winning. Mostly because my eyes will be closed a lot. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

The employee of the team thing makes sense and I’m sure that part will be addressed.  but I can tell you that no goalie wants to be scored on, regardless of the jersey they are wearing. 

I also think in the playoffs with an expanded roster, they would allow both teams to have a 3rd goalie who can dress if needed. For example we would have Senn in the building and if Binghamton was in the playoffs I’m sure Cam Johnson who we had in Binghamton last year and is currently in the ECHL would be happy to be on hand.