2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

1 hour ago, CarterforPresident said:

Maple leafs are lower then NJD. Enough said, list is sh!t.

Well the leafs may have a bunch of weirdos for sure in the stands but the Devils have an organized and celebrated Hey you suck chant from the crowd... it's cranking up your score quite a bit lol

23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well the leafs may have a bunch of weirdos for sure in the stands but the Devils have an organized and celebrated Hey you suck chant from the crowd... it's cranking up your score quite a bit lol

That poll seems to be based on subreddit posts, not arena chants. 

Maybe the fact that “you suck” is profane in Canada pushes up the Vancouver and Calgary numbers. That’s just part of our everyday vocabulary here. 

58 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Hey you suck, not a big deal to me personally. The flyers swallow, I can see that.

15 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

Hey you suck, not a big deal to me personally. The flyers swallow, I can see that.

A swallow is just a kind of bird, don’t be prejudiced against us because we are orinthologically inclined. 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Isles got Sorokin to sign his entry level contract and he'll be here for the playoffs. It'll be very interesting to see how his game translates to the NHL and how it may affect Askarov's value

If I’m not mistaken, though, he cannot play in the playoffs. They’re getting him here to get used to North America and hopefully not allow Putin to “pressure” him to stay in Russia

43 minutes ago, jagknife said:

If I’m not mistaken, though, he cannot play in the playoffs. They’re getting him here to get used to North America and hopefully not allow Putin to “pressure” him to stay in Russia

You are right, my mistake. He can do training camp and participate in practice but can't play in games and would take a roster spot if they bring him to Toronto. His numbers the last 2 years were pretty insane. I'm interested to see how it translates. A .940 percentage last year and .935 this year, and GAAs of 1.16 and 1.50

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

NHL typical though.

sadly, you're right.  Yet they somehow managed to get the CBA done which is huge then they mickey mouse something like this in the next breath. Imagine if they ever figured out how to promote the game which imo has been a critical flaw for decades.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, titans04 said:

sadly, you're right.  Yet they somehow managed to get the CBA done which is huge then they mickey mouse something like this in the next breath. Imagine if they ever figured out how to promote the game which imo has been a critical flaw for decades.

They can promote the game all they want, it’s never going to be big in the US. Sadly, I think it will always be a niche sport here. 

35 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They can promote the game all they want, it’s never going to be big in the US. Sadly, I think it will always be a niche sport here. 

Exactly. That won’t stop them from chasing the ‘casual’ fan they’ve been chasing for decades with little to no success though.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Exactly. That won’t stop them from chasing the ‘casual’ fan they’ve been chasing for decades with little to no success though.

This. It will never compete with the NFL, NBA and MLB but their attempts to gain the causal fans are weak. This latest gimmick maybe the worst one yet. Worse than the glowing puck in my book. They're trying to throw an additional layer of lipstick on the pig with this restart which to me is bad move to begin with. What makes the nhl playoffs special in many cases is the energy that's generated in the buildings and the atmosphere as the playoffs move on from round to round. The only thing worse than playing in an empty building is trying to use canned fan chants. That's just brutal imo. I'll watch some here and there with the same interest I would watch a train wreck. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

I don't know if any of you guys have been following the restart of Football (still refuse to call it Soccer) in Europe but the television coverage has includes simulated crowd noise and chants. There have also been screens installed in arenas where fans are shown in like a zoom or teams call format behind the goal. 

I have to admit I have switched between no crowd noise just hearing the players on the pitch and the simulated crowd and I actually enjoy it more with the crowd noise. Having the option to switch this on and off will be important. 

Having no crowd noise is also fin as you can hear how the players communicate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I don't know if any of you guys have been following the restart of Football (still refuse to call it Soccer) in Europe but the television coverage has includes simulated crowd noise and chants. There have also been screens installed in arenas where fans are shown in like a zoom or teams call format behind the goal. 

I have to admit I have switched between no crowd noise just hearing the players on the pitch and the simulated crowd and I actually enjoy it more with the crowd noise. Having the option to switch this on and off will be important. 

Having no crowd noise is also fin as you can hear how the players communicate. 

The MLS is doing the same thing here, the fox broadcasts are doing the simulated crowd noise and espn is doing just hearing the players. Personally I enjoy hearing the guys yell and curse at one another over the fake noise. It just sounds so phony, very much like a sitcom show with the fake crowd laughter. 

Both broadcasts are showing fans on zoom on the scoreboards but I don't have any issues with that because we can't hear them. 

So with the college season in jeopardy, do you guys think our chances of actually signing Riley Walsh have improved?

I see a lot of other teams are signing guys to ELCs now to just to burn a year off (seems to be a nice incentive for a college kid).  Maybe we'll be able to do the same?

Edited by Devilsfan118

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So with the college season in jeopardy, do you guys think our chances of actually signing Riley Walsh have improved?

I see a lot of other teams are signing guys to ELCs now to just to burn a year off (seems to be a nice incentive for a college kid).  Maybe we'll be able to do the same?

As long as Walsh thinks he has a real chance to make the roster and get NHL ice time I think he'll sign. The gripe is usually that they don't think there's a spot for them on the NHL roster but NJ obviously has nothing to lose by playing him. He could be better than what NJ has by then right out of the box.