Devils 2019-20 Lineup/Notes Thread

Neb00rs

Sitting a guy who averages only 12 min a game but is tied for the team lead in goals with 3 while a guy whose lone goal this year was a deflection off his ass stays in the lineup.

I know Gusev needs work when he does not have the puck, but to sit him while keeping far less effective/worse players in the lineup is asinine.  I am almost convinced the team is trying to tank on purpose at this point.

• Like 5

Again, before we judge how Bratt has performed this year so far, consider that at 5v5 he has 72:34 TOI and 41:40 of that (roughly 57%) has been with Nikita Gusev.

We are dealing with small sample sizes here but with Bratt and Gusev as a pair (41:40 5v5 TOI), they have an xGF% of 25.94%. xGF% is the same as GF% except that expected goals (a predictor of goals based on numerous variables that account for, among other things, shot quality, shot attempts, etc...) are substituted for actual goals. And when Bratt is without Gusev (30:55 5v5  TOI), he has an xGF% of 45.37%. Conversely, when Gusev is without Bratt (45:04 5v5 TOI) he has an xGF% of 30.38%, a much smaller improvement.

Again, small sample size - but this trend is starting to hint at just how bad Gusev is defensively - and it definitely hints at how bad Gusev and Bratt are together.

*I'm using whatever xGF model Natural Stat Trick uses

Edited by Neb00rs

I'm glad Natural Stat Trick thinks they have been terrible together.  I really am.

I also am glad "expected goals" is an actual stat that they use.  Next time I will tell my bosses about meeting sales quotas because I have high "expected sales."

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Gusev will be watching the game with Patty tomorrow. If he’s gonna sit, I like that he’s going to spend those three hours learning at the feet of one of the smartest hockey players of all-time. 

Is Elias officially working for the team in some capacity? Or is he just in town, and giving some advice here and there?

6 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

So we need a coach smart enough to realize you can play Gusev and Bratt in the same lineup, just not on the same line.............................................................................

Fire Hynes 🤔

Eh, Gusev deserves to sit upstairs for a game and watch how to at least be minimally responsible in the defensive zone 

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Is Elias officially working for the team in some capacity? Or is he just in town, and giving some advice here and there?

He’s helping out in a part time capacity. Patty wants to coach, so I think he is just kind of dipping his toes in the water.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm surpised this hasn't happened at some point before but....

Interesting stats about the world series.... "this is the 1st series of any kind in MLB, NBA or NHL post season history in which the road team won 6 straight games" 

Waaaaaaay back in the day when I had just started to play NHL 2K5 on the hardest level (Hall of Fame?) I had a playoff series in the ECF against Ottawa, where the whole "home team disadvantage" happened, lol.  I had home ice, lost Games 1 and 2 there, won Games 3 and 4 in Ottawa, lost Game 5 at home, and was losing Game 6 3-2 back in Ottawa with about 7:00 left before I went batsh!t and scored 4 goals from then on out to win 6-3.  I swear the "computer" Sens seemed stunned...I beat them easily the following game, 3-0, for only home ice victory in the series (swept whatever team I faced in the SCF...I don't even remember who that was now).

Only reason I thought of the above recently is because this World Series kind of mined it out from the deepest recesses of my mind. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Eh, Gusev deserves to sit upstairs for a game and watch how to at least be minimally responsible in the defensive zone 

If the coaching staff were more competent he wouldn't need to sit out and watch a game live to learn. That is what video is for. This isn't Yakovalev, a player I still believe they dropped the ball with, Gusev has some next level ability. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If the coaching staff were more competent he wouldn't need to sit out and watch a game live to learn. That is what video is for. This isn't Yakovalev, a player I still believe they dropped the ball with, Gusev has some next level ability. 

But Goose can speak English... I think... Yak couldn't so apparently he couldn't learn

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

But Goose can speak English... I think... Yak couldn't so apparently he couldn't learn

Goose doesn't speak English well. I don't know if it is on Yak's level, but I remember them making a comment that he knows how to speak the "language of hockey" or something to that effect so the adjustment was going well. I think they are just making an exception for Goose on the language thing that they weren't willing to make with Yak because Goose is known to be a better player.

It is bullsh!t they let Yak walk but threw everything but the kitchen sink at guys like Santini and Mueller to try and get them to succeed. Yak looked decent and like he had more potential than either of those guys.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Goose doesn't speak English well. I don't know if it is on Yak's level, but I remember them making a comment that he knows how to speak the "language of hockey" or something to that effect so the adjustment was going well. I think they are just making an exception for Goose on the language thing that they weren't willing to make with Yak because Goose is known to be a better player.

It is bullsh!t they let Yak walk but threw everything but the kitchen sink at guys like Santini and Mueller to try and get them to succeed. Yak looked decent and like he had more potential than either of those guys.  

If some other NHL team had scooped him up and he was making progress, I would agree with this.  But when EVERYONE passes on a guy, that's probably a good sign that he failed to impress other GMs during his stint last season.  Especially since plenty of teams are looking for defensive help. 

Guys like Yak are almost like some backup QBs in the NFL...they're interesting because they have a mystique due to a small body of work, but once you start to see them more often, you realize that they're just not anything special.  At least Shero was able to flip Santini as part of a package to get a name player (though obviously it remains to be seen what kind of player PK currently is). 

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If some other NHL team had scooped him up and he was making progress, I would agree with this.  But when EVERYONE passes on a guy, that's probably a good sign that he failed to impress other GMs during his stint last season.  Especially since plenty of teams are looking for defensive help. 

Guys like Yak are almost like some backup QBs in the NFL...they're interesting because they have a mystique due to a small body of work, but once you start to see them more often, you realize that they're just not anything special.  At least Shero was able to flip Santini as part of a package to get a name player (though obviously it remains to be seen what kind of player PK currently is). 

Spoiler

[REDACTED]

Edit: Unnecessary

Edited by Crisis
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't really view it that way. I'm sure there is a ton of mid-level talent in the KHL right now falling though the cracks or players that GMs overlook. Yak barely got any time to play, let alone any exposure. I wouldn't be surprised if he was dying to get back to Russia after basically sitting in the minors here too. For all we know he had interest and wasn't into trying in the NHL being a 7th guy again.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

GM's and scouts aren't infallible either.  Look at how much leeway Mueller has gotten from Shero over the years.  There is really no explanation as to why Mueller has continued to stick around on the team despite his play other than Shero desperately trying to justify trading away a 2nd and a 3rd for him.

Plus, who knows for sure if Yak's mentality was either certain NHL teams or KHL with no in-between (I know it is unlikely but a possibility).

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

From what I remember reading, Gusev was provided with English tutoring starting in the summer and I believe he is still doing that.  Not only that, but I believe he had a translator on-hand during camp for interviews.

23 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I'm glad Natural Stat Trick thinks they have been terrible together.  I really am.

I also am glad "expected goals" is an actual stat that they use.  Next time I will tell my bosses about meeting sales quotas because I have high "expected sales."

What's funny is that you don't know how stupid you sound - without knowing anything about anything you reject a stat that is almost universally accepted by people in and around hockey and that every team keeps track of. Par for the course around here lately.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

What's funny is that you don't know how stupid you sound - without knowing anything about anything you reject a stat that is almost universally accepted by people in and around hockey and that every team keeps track of. Par for the course around here lately.

Hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

"Expected goals" - A stat created by people who believe scoring actual goals and winning are not important.