2020 NHL Draft Thread: Devils: #7 Holtz!

CommonDreads

1 hour ago, moustic said:

Ok... but who will we get ? Still a shot at Rossi at number 7 ?

Rossi could definitely be there at 7. I think he goes anywhere between 5-7. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I doubt Rossi. Maybe Holtz, Quinn, or Lundell at this point.

No way Quinn goes that high. If we can’t get Rossi, I’d probably go with Perfetti if he’s there. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

No i want MTL to win cause them winning means... they can't get the first overall... and IF we get the Arizona pick.. it could be pick 8 or 9 say chicago win too

Right, that’s what I’m saying buddy.

But that was also before I realized EVERY team that is bounced in the play-in has a shot at the 1OA now. I thought it was the order of standings once eliminated like usual.

the reason I want anyone but AZ or VAN to win the lotto is exactly like you said, though, so we get better picks.

17 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Right, that’s what I’m saying buddy.

But that was also before I realized EVERY team that is bounced in the play-in has a shot at the 1OA now. I thought it was the order of standings once eliminated like usual.

the reason I want anyone but AZ or VAN to win the lotto is exactly like you said, though, so we get better picks.

Well those teams were ALWAYS going to have a shot at first overall anyway.

I mean... it's SO hard to wrap your head around the whole thing right now... Personally... i don't want... MTL, Rangers, Arizona to win the lottery. And i'd be slightly annoyed if Chicago won cause i mean.. they've had their run lol But without all of them getting an equal shot... it means MTL, Chicago and Arizona were the 3 teams with the biggest odds at winning based on their position.

So now i... believe... say there is a play-in round, that the teams losing will simply be ranked based on their position at the end of the season? 

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Not the place for this - but I sure hope those of you that loved seeing the Devils win meaningless games down the stretch enjoy this show.

Ffs

We're really gonna still play this game when Detroit lost more games than like three teams combined and got boned out of the lottery?  The lottery is r-a-n-d-o-m...how many more times do we have to see a team jump from the teens to a lotto pick, or a team go from 1 to 4 before we give up the ghost on this 'meaningless wins cost us' nonsense.

Heck, a couple more 'meaningless wins' would have gotten us in the play-in tournament, which would have given us a 12.5 percent chance at Lafreniere assuming we ate it there, or a chance at making the actual playoffs which granted we didn't deserve.  I'm kinda glad that scenario didn't happen though since half the board would have been rooting against us (at least) and I almost wouldn't blame them.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

How did that work out for Ottawa and Detroit? 

I don't have much sympathy for Ottawa considering Melnyk and Dorion are buffoons and lucked into the second lotto pick, while they pretty much finished right where they deserved on the other.  But Detroit, yeesh.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

We're really gonna still play this game when Detroit lost more games than like three teams combined and got boned out of the lottery?  The lottery is r-a-n-d-o-m...how many more times do we have to see a team jump from the teens to a lotto pick, or a team go from 1 to 4 before we give up the ghost on this 'meaningless wins cost us' nonsense.

Heck, a couple more 'meaningless wins' would have gotten us in the play-in tournament, which would have given us a 12.5 percent chance at Lafreniere assuming we ate it there, or a chance at making the actual playoffs which granted we didn't deserve.  I'm kinda glad that scenario didn't happen though since half the board would have been rooting against us (at least) and I almost wouldn't blame them.

Yeah but at the same time... if you had to pick between getting the 7th pick. OR having a shot at the 1OA along 7 other teams... and if you don't win... risk getting a pick as low as 17... that's a tricky one... 

So i'm trying to find the best case scenario here...

So i think this is the best case scenario... considering what would be best for the devils long-term.. In most cases, it's about hoping our division rivals are put in a position where they get a worst draft position while not winning the first OA. I do think Boston will go all the way in the East so i'm not too worried about any metropolitan teams winning the cup.

TOR vs CBJ - Being a divison rival. The best case scenario here is having the BlueJackets making the playoffs so that's taking them out of the run for first OA and getting a worst pick.

PIT vs MTL - Montreal winning here could potentially get us a better pick if we do get the Arizona pick, potentially 9 or 10. But then it would give Pittsburgh an opportunity (a very small chance though) at the first overall and they are division rivals obviously. Best case scenario would be pittsburgh losing and not winning the lottery obviously

NYI vs FLO - This one is sort of not too important but the Islanders being rivals, let's hope they make it far.

CAR vs NYR - Sucks to temporaty root for the Rangers.. but let's face it. We don't want them anywhere near the first overall pick.

CGY vs WIN - This is the most irrelevant series... 2 teams out west. Best case scenario would actually be the loser of this play-in winning first overall i think.

EDM vs CHI - Just like MTL, if Chicago win the play-in, that's making the Arizona pick higher for us.

VAN vs MIN - Well we know vancouver need to win in order to get their first round pick. So let's hope for a first round exit.

NSH vs ARI - Let's hope for Nashville winning. BUT Arizona not winning the lottery. Which let's be honest here... they likely will... but if they don't we'd get the 11th, 10th or 9th pick.. depending on the MTL and Chicago series.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It wasn’t a “couple” of games.    It was literally our last game.   If we beat Pittsburgh in our last game we would have been ahead of Montreal in points%...     imagine the outrage if we made the playoffs and did a Cinderella run?

and to be fair, prior to last night, it was a chance at the playoffs and a 3pct chance at Lafreniere.  After the first lottery was won, the new odds are 6.25%...  If you make the playoffs, your odds are 0pct.     If you lose the play-in and therefore DONT make the playoffs your odds jump to 12.5%.  

What's actually offensive to me about how this turned out is how many of the 16 teams' fanbases in the play-in are actually going to be rooting for them to lose because winning the lotto is a much better chance than a team like Chicago, Montreal, Arizona, etc advancing in the playoffs?  At least do both lotteries after the play-in round.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, aylbert said:

It wasn’t a “couple” of games.    It was literally our last game.   If we beat Pittsburgh in our last game we would have been ahead of Montreal in points%...     imagine the outrage if we made the playoffs and did a Cinderella run?

and to be fair, prior to last night, it was a chance at the playoffs and a 3pct chance at Lafreniere.  After the first lottery was won, the new odds are 6.25%...  If you make the playoffs, your odds are 0pct.     If you lose the play-in and therefore DONT make the playoffs your odds jump to 12.5%.  

I feel like they would never have decided the last playoff spot that way, they might have had a play-in for the play-in between us and the Habs before they let that happen, or made the playoffs 24 teams irrespective of conference.

9 hours ago, grcenter47 said:

If Iaroslav Askarov falls to 17, do you see the devils getting him

Absolutely. I think we might take him at 7, if he’s there. We have a shot at one of the best goalie prospects, a good defenseman, or a good winger. If I’m the gm I would take Sanderson if he’s there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grcenter47 said:

If Iaroslav Askarov falls to 17, do you see the devils getting him

Not sure. many peeps are thinking Comesso might be really good.

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

CAR vs NYR - Sucks to temporaty root for the Rangers.. but let's face it. We don't want them anywhere near the first overall pick.

VAN vs MIN - Well we know vancouver need to win in order to get their first round pick. So let's hope for a first round exit.

NSH vs ARI - Let's hope for Nashville winning. BUT Arizona not winning the lottery. Which let's be honest here... they likely will... but if they don't we'd get the 11th, 10th or 9th pick.. depending on the MTL and Chicago series.

Yeah we need to root for the Rangers here. Van Obviously. And yeah - Nashville - I'll take my 87.5% chance AZ  won't get Lafreniere. 

Let's hope Calgary or Winnipeg come away here the winner. 

Repeating the obvious, there was absolutely no reason to do any draft lottery until after the play-in round. It's Bettman's ego driven philosophy to keep the NHL in the news in June, but not in the best interest of the game. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eldon said:

Repeating the obvious, there was absolutely no reason to do any draft lottery until after the play-in round. It's Bettman's ego driven philosophy to keep the NHL in the news in June, but not in the best interest of the game. 

that's a double offense... first coming up with a play-in round and make it juuuust so MTL and Chicago can play some hockey this season again. It's the only reason we had the play in. They are the top 2 teams in attendance for the last 10+ years.

Then having 2 draft lottery. It was allll for the money and not what would be best or fair for the teams

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I also don't know why they didn't do it so say there's no playoffs... that say last night they picked.. Team F... well that whatever team was ranked as team F would just get the first overall since nothing would have changed in the rankings

If there's no playoffs I wonder if they'd re-do the lottery, or maybe they'd just cancel the 1OA winner and move every «non-qualifying team» up a spot (so LA gets 1st, Ottawa gets 2nd, DET gets 3rd, etc.) and the other teams just get slotted based on their rankings or winning percentage before the season got paused. I don't even know how that would work, it's the first thing I thought of lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eldon said:

If the ‘tournament’ needs to be stopped because players are testing positive left and right, what happens then? How would you conduct this second lottery then? It’s an absolute sh!t show that the NHL absolutely forced on itself because of its lack of patience and common sense. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If the ‘tournament’ needs to be stopped because players are testing positive left and right, what happens then? How would you conduct this second lottery then? It’s an absolute sh!t show that the NHL absolutely forced on itself because of its lack of patience and common sense. 

Yeah they 100% should have wait for the play-in round to be done before the lottery. There's literally no logical reasons to do it the way they did other than being impatient 

• Like 3