Zajac & Palms to NYI

jagknife

"Today was the day that he told me he'd like a chance to move on and win. We as an organization owe Travis that. I was proud to do that."

There you have it. He chose not to be a lifetime Devil for a chance to win. I don’t begrudge him that, but I’m not going to whine about how he should have retired a Devil. 

• Like 5

I find it absolutely bizarre that so many comments I've seen online are people saying they are rooting for the Islanders to win it all even if it hurts our chances of getting a higher pick.

I know I can be an a**hole but good lord it's absolutely embarrassing to me to call yourself a Devils fan and say this instead of wanting the best possible pick for the future of this team. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I heard Eichel was available, they should have traded those guys for him plus Buffalo’s 1st. 

What are you drinking tonight, and are you sharing?

Brother you could offer Eichel everything under the sun and he's not coming here. How soon we forget the no big time players want to come here which is why we're always sitting on all that cap space.  Odds are the closest he'll get to Newark is MSG if the rags are willing to give up the pieces to get him. 

To me it'd be great to stop being a non-factor year after year. So yeah that feeling extends way beyond these two guys leaving.  The result is whether or not they left today or at the end of the season, the Swiss cheese lineup now has to more big holes in it. So yes great they got a 25ish pick a 4 or 3rd in 22 or 23 and two guys for Binghamton. Odds of any of those things making us better any time soon? 

Looking at all the success we've had in the last 6-7, years it's hard to question our asset and roster management. 

2 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Brother you could offer Eichel everything under the sun and he's not coming here. How soon we forget the no big time players want to come here which is why we're always sitting on all that cap space.  Odds are the closest he'll get to Newark is MSG if the rags are willing to give up the pieces to get him. 

To me it'd be great to stop being a non-factor year after year. So yeah that feeling extends way beyond these two guys leaving.  The result is whether or not they left today or at the end of the season, the Swiss cheese lineup now has to more big holes in it. So yes great they got a 25ish pick a 4 or 3rd in 22 or 23 and two guys for Binghamton. Odds of any of those things making us better any time soon? 

Looking at all the success we've had in the last 6-7, years it's hard to question our asset and roster management. 

The thing is. There's at least a chance that it's making us better. Keeping Zajac and Palms... and having them fading away or lose them for nothing was 200% NOT going to help us moving forward.

I know many fans are struggling to separate their feelings and wanting to feel good "now" rather than taking the right steps to move forward. But the sad reality is, we're just not in a position to have that luxury. Over 2 decades of bad assets management and terribl drafting and losing players for nothing will get you there. Mostly cause the team always "lived in the moment".

I'm glad to see the new management moving away from that and just focusing on making any necessary steps in order to improve us in the future

39 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I find it absolutely bizarre that so many comments I've seen online are people saying they are rooting for the Islanders to win it all even if it hurts our chances of getting a higher pick.

I know I can be an a**hole but good lord it's absolutely embarrassing to me to call yourself a Devils fan and say this instead of wanting the best possible pick for the future of this team. 

I get it from the standpoint that nobody really cares about another pick when all we've heard about are picks and prospects for the last several years and nothing has changed for the better results-wise.  I agree with you on wanting a higher pick outweighing personal allegiance to Greene/Zajac (although the deeper the Isles do go in the playoffs, the less a handful of spots really matter at that point anyway) but I am getting fvcking jaded at always saying yay we got x and y and z for trading our few good players.

Edited by NJDevs4978

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I get it from the standpoint that nobody really cares about another pick when all we've heard about are picks and prospects for the last several years and nothing has changed for the better results-wise.  I agree with you on wanting a higher pick outweighing personal allegiance to Greene/Zajac (although the deeper the Isles do go in the playoffs, the less 2 and 4 spots really matter anyway) but I am getting fvcking jaded at always saying yay we got x and y and z for trading our few good players.

In terms of following the draft I dont follow it at all other then hoping whoever we get is good. 

I just don't know why so many Devils fans are buddy buddy about the Islanders simply cause we both hate the Rangers. The Islanders fan base has been absolutely horrid in our building for years now despite them not winning anything of any importance. I just can't absolutely stand them and have no desire to see that fan base enjoy a cup win.  I wish they never got this new Belmont stadium and fvcked off to Quebec or wherever the hell else they would put another team. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

In terms of following the draft I dont follow it at all other then hoping whoever we get is good. 

I just don't know why so many Devils fans are buddy buddy about the Islanders simply cause we both hate the Rangers. The Islanders fan base has been absolutely horrid in our building for years now despite them not winning anything of any importance. I just can't absolutely stand them and have no desire to see that fan base enjoy a cup win. 

I just can't work up a lot of hate for the Islanders, but regarding the Isles fans, I've also seen some of the stuff you've seen in our building. Still, the Islanders have never pissed me off, and it's because we've never really had a rivalry with them. Have we been good at the same time since 1988? They've never done any major damage to us. And yes, both fan bases detest the Rangers and we're both smaller fish in the New York pond, and that makes us more like brothers than enemies to a certain extent. I know that might be an unpopular view, but I've felt that way about the Islanders for years. Yeah, I want the Devils to beat them, but they're not the Flyers or the Rangers and never have been. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I just can't work up a lot of hate for the Islanders, but regarding the Isles fans, I've also seen some of the stuff you've seen in our building. Still, the Islanders have never pissed me off, and it's because we've never really had a rivalry with them. Have we been good at the same time since 1988? They've never done any major damage to us. And yes, both fan bases detest the Rangers and we're both smaller fish in the New York pond, and that makes us more like brothers than enemies to a certain extent. I know that might be an unpopular view, but I've felt that way about the Islanders for years. Yeah, I want the Devils to beat them, but they're not the Flyers or the Rangers and never have been. 

Yeah I mean I don’t like the Islanders, but the reason I don’t have the blood hatred for them that I do the Rags and Flyers is because we’ve played the Rags and Flyers in the playoffs a sh!t ton over the years, and we’ve played the Islanders in the playoffs once, over 30 years ago. Had we faced them in the playoffs as much as we have the Rags and Flyers, we’d probably hate the Islanders a lot more collectively as a fan base. 

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I mean I don’t like the Islanders, but the reason I don’t have the blood hatred for them that I do the Rags and Flyers is because we’ve played the Rags and Flyers in the playoffs a sh!t ton over the years, and we’ve played the Islanders in the playoffs once, over 30 years ago. Had we faced them in the playoffs as much as we have the Rags and Flyers, we’d probably hate the Islanders a lot more collectively as a fan base. 

I find that to be absolutely true. I dislike the Hurricanes more than the Islanders for that very reason. The 2006 and 2009 playoff losses to that loser of a franchise are two of the bitterest postseason defeats I can remember. 2002 wasn't fun either.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

As a fan base the Islanders fans have surpassed the Flyers for me. For whatever reason, Flyers fans haven't been traveling up in the numbers that they use to in the Meadowlands from what I've noticed and when they do they don't act like they use to. Islanders fans have turned into these obnoxious rangers fans who wear a different shade of horrible blue. You would have thought they won their 4 cups in a row a few years ago. I just hate them. 

I absolutely hate Carolina too but that's more about playoff history and nothing to do with their actual fans. 

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

As a fan base the Islanders fans have surpassed the Flyers for me. For whatever reason, Flyers fans haven't been traveling up in the numbers that they use to in the Meadowlands from what I've noticed and when they do they don't act like they use to. 

Wow, that's interesting. Some of the most unpleasant experiences I've had at a hockey game have been at Flyers games, home and away. But these memories are from many years ago, kinda like you indicate. I know I'm way off topic now, but the Flyers used to be so hateworthy because of their fans AND players, but that team is so vanilla now. The Devils are, too.

How depressing.

Saw quotes from both players...sounds like the constant losing was wearing on both of them, which makes sense.  You never say never, and quotes can be picked apart, but now I don’t see either one of them coming back.  

Fitz seems to think he landed a couple of legit prospects...OK Tommy.  Those guys were throw-ins...one is 24 and the other in 27, and neither has much going on.  Not complaining, the idea was to get whatever he could, and he did snag a first-rounder.  But don’t pretend that the throw-ins have some kind of real future here.

Boatloads to spend next season.  

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Saw quotes from both players...sounds like the constant losing was wearing on both of them, which makes sense.  You never say never, and quotes can be picked apart, but now I don’t see either one of them coming back.  

Fitz seems to think he landed a couple of legit prospects...OK Tommy.  Those guys were throw-ins...one is 24 and the other in 27, and neither has much going on.  Not complaining, the idea was to get whatever he could, and he did snag a first-rounder.  But don’t pretend that the throw-ins have some kind of real future here.

Boatloads to spend next season.  

Ah, the fabled “weaponized cap space”

I’m so salty about us having so much and not doing a ton with it, I treat it about the same as the MOAB. Only one was actually used.

(yes, I know we made a few moves in the off season that ruin my joke, just let me have this. I’m mourning trav lol)

Also, speaking further on the losing wearing on them, I get it. But take COVID out of the situation and this team was showing markable success over the recent era of pathetic-ness. Then COVID hit, the come out strong but the rigor of the compacted schedule hits and the losing commences. Then the complacency kicks in. But even still, even playing like utter trash some nights, they’re still competitive, only one loss over 2 goals since our back to back losses vs the Rangers.

they tasted success and are getting hammered due to the schedule, but I think they’re improving. I just hope the pre Covid success wasn’t an anomaly and will be the trend when they have a normal schedule in the fall.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

1000%. Call it “rooting for laundry” if you want. I’m a Devils fan. I root for the best possible scenario for the Devils. Rooting for individual players when they leave is fine, but not when it’s against our interests. I can’t even believe that’s a debate. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

typical Lou

I guess the implication is that Lou did something wrong?

It's a typical "makes sense for both sides" move, really.  Devils were able to get something for a couple of players that were likely to leave at the end of the year anyway, and with no playoff chase in jeopardy, it made no sense to keep them.  Islanders (clearly a "win now" team) made a "win now" move, the way that many teams in their position do...and they didn't overpay for for making it.  The main piece that they gave up was a bottom-half first-rounder that doesn't figure to help them any time soon...if the implication is that giving up that first-rounder was somehow reckless, I don't think that's fair in this case.  Of course these deals are never guarantees (on either side) and sometimes players simply don't fit in with their new teams (see Michael Graber), but given the state of the Isles, that team having lost Lee and wanting to try to replace him, and Zajac enjoying some of his most productive hockey in quite some time, I don't really see much to knock here.  The deal has a good chance to help the Isles, the Devils got something back (even if it's not a "wow" something), and the Isles didn't give up too much.    

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

1000%. Call it “rooting for laundry” if you want. I’m a Devils fan. I root for the best possible scenario for the Devils. Rooting for individual players when they leave is fine, but not when it’s against our interests. I can’t even believe that’s a debate. 

Guy played for the Devils for 15 years. People tend to form an attachment over that amount of time. A single draft spot or two just doesn’t seem very significant compared to that. Kind of seems like a win/win type situation to me though. If they get bounced early, great. Higher pick. If they don’t, good for a guy I’ve rooted for the better part of two decades. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

SIAP:

I would have just said I wish them well but it's not like him being nice will actually affect the picks lol not something to get riled up about to me.

That being said I hope the Islanders lose as many games as possible the rest of the season and then get swept out of the playoffs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I guess the implication is that Lou did something wrong?

It's a typical "makes sense for both sides" move, really.  Devils were able to get something for a couple of players that were likely to leave at the end of the year anyway, and with no playoff chase in jeopardy, it made no sense to keep them.  Islanders (clearly a "win now" team) made a "win now" move, the way that many teams in their position do...and they didn't overpay for for making it.  The main piece that they gave up was a bottom-half first-rounder that doesn't figure to help them any time soon...if the implication is that giving up that first-rounder was somehow reckless, I don't think that's fair in this case.  Of course these deals are never guarantees (on either side) and sometimes players simply don't fit in with their new teams (see Michael Graber), but given the state of the Isles, that team having lost Lee and wanting to try to replace him, and Zajac enjoying some of his most productive hockey in quite some time, I don't really see much to knock here.  The deal has a good chance to help the Isles, the Devils got something back (even if it's not a "wow" something), and the Isles didn't give up too much.    

lol No. He did something very typical by again trading or signing his ex veterans. That's pretty damn straight forward.

Just like I'll say typical Colorado Rockies 1976 for writing a long paragraph after nitpicking something i didnt really say or mean lol

I think the pick(s) can be packaged for someone we really want / need. With the expansion draft, I think there will be oppertunites this summer and adding a first to a trade sounds good. I don't think we use the pick. 

Trade was fine IMO.