The 2021 Offseason Thread

jagknife

I keep reading that the Leafs might try to move Morgan Reilly this summer because he becomes a UFA next year and they won’t be able to afford him.   Contingent on us having some indication that he would re-sign, he could be a good target.  He’s 27, so same age as Hamilton and Toronto seems like a good opportunity to send quantity for quality given their cap issues and lack of futures.  

Just a thought that I don’t remember seeing discussed yet.  

• Like 2

Jake Gardiner was 40-50 pts per season player in toronto. Now he isnt nowhere close. I dont want to trade for any puckmoving defenseman from toronto, if compensation isn`t 3rd round pick or butcher.
Reilly is LD, he doesnt play in PK, he makes a lot of giveaways for defenseman("worst-7" defenseman who played more than 20 games, he cant takeaway even 1 time per 60 min,he doesnt make hits (8th D in toronto hits per\60) etc. We have LD Smith for playmaking. 

Edited by Guadana

Hmmm. I'll believe it when I see it. 

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/scott-oneil-podcast-general-manager-tom-fitzgerald-green-light-hbse-ceo/c-325461088

In other news, I had a dream last night about the draft. We picked Luke at 4oa and Jack handed him his jersey

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/scott-oneil-podcast-general-manager-tom-fitzgerald-green-light-hbse-ceo/c-325461088

In other news, I had a dream last night about the draft. We picked Luke at 4oa and Jack handed him his jersey

Start at 22:00 to forego the book tour sales pitch.

i can't imagine that if we do pick him that it's not how it's going down. I mean, they'll be in the same room most likely

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i can't imagine that if we do pick him that it's not how it's going down. I mean, they'll be in the same room most likely

Jack with the draft jersey hidden under a couch cushion and he just pulls it out like a magician after the announcement. 

I know some (not saying you specifically) think the Devils don't want to spend money on the team, out of cheapness.  I don't think that's the case...Lou spent as much as he wanted to under the current ownership, then Ray came in and was clearly trying to build a core (from near-scratch) AND cap flexibility for when the core would be ready for reinforcements.  Fitz then came in and due to how the team performed really didn't have much choice but to deal off vets for whatever returns he could get.  It hasn't made much sense to spend big yet...PK was really a bit of a reach.  

Fitz doesn't strike me as being reckless...I don't see him spending just for the sake of doing so.  And as we've been over, having the space doesn't mean there's players willing to gobble it up...if I'm a UFA, I'm not sold on the potential of the Devils' core just yet.  I don't think a lot is going to happen this offseason, but I don't think it will be due to any penny-pinching...more because I don't think Fitz has any interest in being used as a bargaining chip, and I think he'd like to see his players have one more year of development (including guys like Holtz and Mercer) before he starts splurging on outside help.  I can see Fitz going after Coleman and a couple of mid-tier signings, assuming he has much interest in dipping his feet into the UFA pool at all.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Jack with the draft jersey hidden under a couch cushion and he just pulls it out like a magician after the announcement. 

What i'd actually like to see if to see Fitz announce we're picking Luke. Then Luke stands up and he was wearing one of those suits you can just strip off with one pull like those 2000s adidas pants. Revealing he was wearing a Devils jersey underneath!

but then if he's drafted by someone else he just has to put another jersey on top of all that.

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

What i'd actually like to see if to see Fitz announce we're picking Luke. Then Luke stands up and he was wearing one of those suits you can just strip off with one pull like those 2000s adidas pants. Revealing he was wearing a Devils jersey underneath!

but then if he's drafted by someone else he just has to put another jersey on top of all that.

Make the top 5 guys wear all 5 top teams’ jerseys and they have to rip off the wrong ones like Hulk Hogan until they get to the right one. 

Then, auction the ripped draft night jerseys for charity. 

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know some (not saying you specifically) think the Devils don't want to spend money on the team, out of cheapness.  I don't think that's the case...Lou spent as much as he wanted to under the current ownership, then Ray came in and was clearly trying to build a core (from near-scratch) AND cap flexibility for when the core would be ready for reinforcements.  Fitz then came in and due to how the team performed really didn't have much choice but to deal off vets for whatever returns he could get.  It hasn't made much sense to spend big yet...PK was really a bit of a reach.  

Fitz doesn't strike me as being reckless...I don't see him spending just for the sake of doing so.  And as we've been over, having the space doesn't mean there's players willing to gobble it up...if I'm a UFA, I'm not sold on the potential of the Devils' core just yet.  I don't think a lot is going to happen this offseason, but I don't think it will be due to any penny-pinching...more because I don't think Fitz has any interest in being used as a bargaining chip, and I think he'd like to see his players have one more year of development (including guys like Holtz and Mercer) before he starts splurging on outside help.  I can see Fitz going after Coleman and a couple of mid-tier signings, assuming he has much interest in dipping his feet into the UFA pool at all.  

I really cant belive Fitz will spend real money for someone who isn`t Hamilton. Defensemen may be. There are a lot of questions about our young guys who will try to play in NHL or did play real NHL games past season. Is Sharangovich top-6 scorer? Kuokkanen is second or third line winger? It was a flash of Zacha better version from parallel universe or he is top-6 winger? I dont think Fitz will sign sign Landeskog for 7\10 or Saad for 6\6 or more. Devils still have Holtz, Mercer and Foot in A-basket and have Clarke, Boqvist, Maltsev in B-basket. And players from A-basket deserve some chance to pull off opponents from their sits in roster.  If we sign Landeskog\Hyman\Hopkins\Saad for long term, devils will not give a real chance and place for their prospetcs, which they had difficulty recruiting.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I really cant belive Fitz will spend real money for someone who isn`t Hamilton. Defensemen may be. There are a lot of questions about our young guys who will try to play in NHL or did play real NHL games past season. Is Sharangovich top-6 scorer? Kuokkanen is second or third line winger? It was a flash of Zacha better version from parallel universe or he is top-6 winger? I dont think Fitz will sign sign Landeskog for 7\10 or Saad for 6\6 or more. Devils still have Holtz, Mercer and Foot in A-basket and have Clarke, Boqvist, Maltsev in B-basket. And players from A-basket deserve some chance to pull off opponents from their sits in roster.  If we sign Landeskog\Hyman\Hopkins\Saad for long term, devils will not give a real chance and place for their prospetcs, which they had difficulty recruiting.

Parallel universes, A & B-baskets…I love your posts so much lol. I would never, ever -3 you in the NJDevs members survivor game. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Parallel universes, A & B-baskets…I love your posts so much lol. I would never, ever -3 you in the NJDevs members survivor game. 

Are you trying to buy me? 
image.png.dfe15b4df9db7b1f8a2f1924b1f29ef8.png
SHUT UP AND GIVE ME YOUR MONEY - Shut up and take my money Fry blank | Meme  Generator

Edited by Guadana
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Guadana said:

From what ive seen Sharangovich is 100% a top 6 guy.

Kuokkanen it's strange. I know he did really good and was getting points but i honestly can't remember any plays with him.

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

From what ive seen Sharangovich is 100% a top 6 guy.

I would not agree with that quite yet. He basically had a good April. He had 4 points in the first 15 games and 12 in the first 30. 

I’d like to see him continue along the path he was on in April and May (but mostly just April), but for me he’s going to have to show his ability to do it consistently before I am ready to say he’s a top 6 guy.

We were saying that about Gusev at one point.