Draft 2022 - Lottery - Devils get second pick!

Guadana

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

They got the Devils taking Cooley.  Kinda feels like the Devils have enough centers.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They got the Devils taking Cooley.  Kinda feels like the Devils have enough centers.  

That’s what I was thinking. But I want us to take the BPA, whoever Fitz and the scouts think that is, if we keep the pick. If we take Cooley, hopefully he can be good at wing. I’d rather take Slafkovsky though. 

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s what I was thinking. But I want us to take the BPA, whoever Fitz and the scouts think that is, if we keep the pick. If we take Cooley, hopefully he can be good at wing. I’d rather take Slafkovsky though. 

Maybe even trade down a spot, though I’d be surprised if Fitz did that.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I’m just glad I really only have to brush up on 2-3 guys, and not half a dozen. Got who I wanted last year in Luke, didn’t the year before with Holtz. I have no clear preference at this point, but if the players are ranked close enough I’d like to be able to marry BPA with need (so RHD or wing). 

• Like 1

I felt absolutely zero disappointment when the Habs card was revealed as the winner. We don't need another center. The Devils get to choose the best non-center available. They aren't excluded from winning the lottery next year. This scenario is better than winning the lottery for us. I do see that some people are projecting Cooley as the pick. This is a 175 pound center. The last thing this team needs.

28 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Does this count as winning the lotto? If the NJ/MTL are the worst team in the league next year, does this mean there is no way they can pick #1 no matter what?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh who the fvck cares. You guys pick the weirdest sh!t to get upset about sometimes. We moved up. There is no negative to that. 

I'm not upset with #2 at all, I love it. BUT, I am absolutely not at all happy, and I think you have to recognize, that we've been fairly fortunate with some draft pick slots over the last 5 years or so and we really need to do something with it to avoid being compared to the Oilers.  It's a pride thing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm not upset with #2 at all, I love it. BUT, I am absolutely not at all happy, and I think you have to recognize, that we've been fairly fortunate with some draft pick slots over the last 5 years or so and we really need to do something with it to avoid being compared to the Oilers.  It's a pride thing. 

I would die happy if you could compare us to the Oilers again. They're playing hockey tonight. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I couldn’t care less what other team’s fanbases think about us. I had to hear and read for years about how the Devils “ruined hockey” because of the trap. It didn’t diminish all their success one iota. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I would die happy if you could compare us to the Oilers again. They're playing hockey tonight. 

Well yeah, I think those two things are totally different.... they've certainly turned it around, but how long did it take?  10 years?  15?  20?  I lost count.  They were miserable and terrible for a LONG time.  I don't want to be in that situation just for a few years of playoffs....they really haven't proven much. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

I couldn’t care less what other team’s fanbases think about us. I had to hear and read for years about how the Devils “ruined hockey” because of the trap. It didn’t diminish all their success one iota. 

I hear you, but that's not really what I'm talking about.  I don't care what anyone else thinks of our team...I care what *I* think of our team.  And what I think of our team the last 10 years isn't exactly great.  It's not quite on the level of the Oilers lack of success for so long, but if we don't turn it around soon we'll be in that conversation.   That's all I'm saying.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Well they did get a generational talent so.....

I like Slafkovsky. Big, fast, physical good hands

So what? Do you think that they are upset they had so many firsts? They aren’t. 

31 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

So what? Do you think that they are upset they had so many firsts? They aren’t. 

Of course they aren't but they weren't doing much before McDavid. For a talent like a Crosby or McDavid to come to us in a draft is very unlikely and I for one have no interest in watching the Devils draft and draft for a grip of years

Worrying about having too many good draft picks has to be one of the oddest things I’ve ever encountered in my sports fandom.

The Penguins won multiple Cups because they won the #1OA twice, and a #2OA. Sign me up. 

• Like 5

I gotta say... i want to trade that pick for help now but then we trade one asset for another to fill 1 role.

While say we get real lucky. We can pick Slafkovsky, try to sign a top winger for now. Then suddenly we have 2 good assets. Which pushes players down our lineup and making some guys expandable and we can trade these guys for extra assets too.

If you can sign a guy that you know what he will brings you. That's a "free" asset. Vs trading for one then its just a lateral move.

then if we're tight with the cap, then we have assets to trade and reload. I'd much rather trade Holtz than this pick / slaf

Edited by SterioDesign

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I gotta say... i want to trade that pick for help now but then we trade one asset for another to fill 1 role.

While say we get real lucky. We can pick Slafkovsky, try to sign a top winger for now. Then suddenly we have 2 good assets. Which pushes players down our lineup and making some guys expandable and we can trade these guys for extra assets too.

If you can sign a guy that you know what he will brings you. That's a "free" asset. Vs trading for one then its just a lateral move.

then if we're tight with the cap, then we have assets to trade and reload. I'd much rather trade Holtz than this pick / slaf

Unless they figure out a way to find a real true #1 goalie then all these great assets aren't going to win much.  I would hope they're looking at all avenues to acquire one which would include trading some assets such as a draft pick if necessary. Everything else is a distant second to finding a goalie now that Fitz has taken the need to find a head coach off the list entirely.

7 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

If Slafkosky can possibly turn into our "Anze Kopitar" I'll take that all week. 

Is there really a comparison there? One is a Slovenian two-way center, and the other is a Slovakian power winger. 

6 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Unless they figure out a way to find a real true #1 goalie then all these great assets aren't going to win much.  I would hope they're looking at all avenues to acquire one which would include trading some assets such as a draft pick if necessary. Everything else is a distant second to finding a goalie now that Fitz has taken the need to find a head coach off the list entirely.

Which draft pick though? Absolutely no way I’d trade a #2OA for any goalie. The position is just way to volatile. Just look at the “Prince” in NY turning into a pumpkin all of a sudden. 

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Which draft pick though? Absolutely no way I’d trade a #2OA for any goalie. The position is just way to volatile. Just look at the “Prince” in NY turning into a pumpkin all of a sudden. 

You’d trade the second pick for sh!tstain all day every day. He is not a good example of volatility with the position.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Is there really a comparison there? One is a Slovenian two-way center, and the other is a Slovakian power winger. 

I meant both are 6'4", aggressive, have good vision, skate well, and are offensively gifted. Since I'm watching the Kings-Oilers, that's who came to mind.