Devils to hire Bill Spaulding as PxP guy

mikemarc1

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t like the logos for jerseys, but they would be cool on hats or t-shirts. Cooler than “Hat” or “Shirt”, anyway. 

Agreed.  Would love a tshirt with the Parkway and Turnpike logos.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So that's one regular season done with Bill. Think overall he has done a  really good job and he has been a good hire. 

My one gripe though is that sometimes he doesn't cut himself off and read the moment. Last night being a prime example. 

Luke is winding up his stride inside his own zone,  and rather than moving on from explaining something about 3x3 overtime rules he persists and then almost has to catch up with the goal. 

That is likely to be a seminal moment in Devil's history and the call doesn't really do it justice. 

Playoffs are on the horizon so lets hope he has some more amazing moments to call to get more practice in. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

So that's one regular season done with Bill. Think overall he has done a  really good job and he has been a good hire. 

My one gripe though is that sometimes he doesn't cut himself off and read the moment. Last night being a prime example. 

Luke is winding up his stride inside his own zone,  and rather than moving on from explaining something about 3x3 overtime rules he persists and then almost has to catch up with the goal. 

That is likely to be a seminal moment in Devil's history and the call doesn't really do it justice. 

Playoffs are on the horizon so lets hope he has some more amazing moments to call to get more practice in. 

I think we really lucked out with Bill, his voice isn't annoying, he calls the game pretty well. With how many horrid play by play guys out there he's been a blessing.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

The hardest part of young broadcasters to learn is when to drop what they are talking about and cut to the important stuff, the game you are watching and supposed to be describing.

I agree he is pretty good, but that last part he has to improve, it's why Doc is the true GOAT along with Ian Eagle, they can be talking about absolutely anything and switch back mid sentence to what is happening in front of them without missing and beat. Then they finish off the other thing and it always is good. I really like Bill and think this first season was a big time success, just improve the little important things.

He's already better than Steve for me, I know folks loved him and I did not dislike him, but Bill when he is not caught up with other things is way better at actually calling goals and moments in almost real time, as SC would many times be late.

Now SC had the emotional thing down pat, that's something else Bill can really improve upon.

He's not bad at all, but I think he can reach another level when he figures that out.

Overall really happy they chose him and not that clown who while it would have been nice to get more national exposure, I don't think much of his hockey knowledge or expertise.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think we really lucked out with Bill, his voice isn't annoying, he calls the game pretty well. With how many horrid play by play guys out there he's been a blessing.

I think this is me being spoil with Doc and Cangelosi for so long. I suppose this is more of an improvement to shift him from good to great. 

32 minutes ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

The hardest part of young broadcasters to learn is when to drop what they are talking about and cut to the important stuff, the game you are watching and supposed to be describing.

I agree he is pretty good, but that last part he has to improve, it's why Doc is the true GOAT along with Ian Eagle, they can be talking about absolutely anything and switch back mid sentence to what is happening in front of them without missing and beat. Then they finish off the other thing and it always is good. I really like Bill and think this first season was a big time success, just improve the little important things.

He's already better than Steve for me, I know folks loved him and I did not dislike him, but Bill when he is not caught up with other things is way better at actually calling goals and moments in almost real time, as SC would many times be late.

Now SC had the emotional thing down pat, that's something else Bill can really improve upon.

He's not bad at all, but I think he can reach another level when he figures that out.

Overall really happy they chose him and not that clown who while it would have been nice to get more national exposure, I don't think much of his hockey knowledge or expertise.

I think the emotion and the connection to the team comes with time so he should have that figured out in the next couple of years. 

• Like 2

Took me a little while, but he has been solid. At one game I was at, I was standing right by him and I told him he's doing great.  We chatted, I told him he has a bright future. He was very nice and frendly.

And I was soooooo close to telling him to never call a stick a "twig" again because it's cringe worthy.................but I haven't heard it since early in the year so I let it pass lol

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Took me a little while, but he has been solid. At one game I was at, I was standing right by him and I told him he's doing great.  We chatted, I told him he has a bright future. He was very nice and frendly.

And I was soooooo close to telling him to never call a stick a "twig" again because it's cringe worthy.................but I haven't heard it since early in the year so I let it pass lol

"Dispossessed" has not grown on me, but he's done a good job and he'll only keep getting better.

I didnt hate Spaulding when he started, but he definitely felt like an outsider describing the game and the team...  like a national broadcast, which should be expected.
As the season moved along, his familiarity did as well, and so did his chemistry with Dano.     Agreed sometimes he's stuck with his thoughts rather than the moment, but that will come in time.

Dano just rephrasing what Spaulding says?  I don't think there's any hope for Dano, he is what he is.  For better and worse.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Really like Bill; he does a great job. Hope we have our long term answer in the booth. 

Same, the only thing I notice about him on the negative side is that he gets names wrong more often than I'm used to (Hughes...Hughes...Hughes...oops, I mean, Haula), but I like him.  I got used to Cangi and liked him too, but I feel like Spalding (with seasoning) will be better and more memorable.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Same, the only thing I notice about him on the negative side is that he gets names wrong more often than I'm used to (Hughes...Hughes...Hughes...oops, I mean, Haula), but I like him.  I got used to Cangi and liked him too, but I feel like Spalding (with seasoning) will be better and more memorable.  

lol. i mix Haula and hughes up all the time.  numbers look the same from far up. well for me at least, and bill. 

7 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

lol. i mix Haula and hughes up all the time.  numbers look the same from far up. well for me at least, and bill. 

I’ve accidentally done it with Timo as well a couple of times.