GDT: Flyers @ Devils 12/15 7PM

Nicomo

56 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hear what you're saying but what if Hamilton gets hurt?  Who do you have that could potentially give you much offense from the D-corp?  Dougie has more than double the points of any other defenseman currently with the big club...Seves put up 46 points in 80 GP last season and over the past four seasons has been good for 39 points per 82 GP.  I hate a lot of Seves' game but that production isn't completely throwaway.

I wish there was someone ready from within RIGHT NOW who could make Seves completely expendable, but man, if Dougie were to ever miss significant time...scary thought.  We'll see if Simon progresses so quickly that the Devils would feel comfortable enough to move Damon...I know you'd like to stick Bahl there, but I think you need someone who can replace at least some of the things Damon was pretty good at.  I see Bahl more as a guy to replace Smith than Seves.

If Hamilton gets hurt and we are counting on Severson to carry his weight then the whole conversation is moot because we aren’t going anywhere as a team with that setup. Severson is not a capable replacement for anyone. The production you cite is a complete throwaway because it’s empty calories. He’ll concede more goals than he’ll help produce.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

If Hamilton gets hurt and we are counting on Severson to carry his weight then the whole conversation is moot because we aren’t going anywhere as a team with that setup. Severson is not a capable replacement for anyone. The production you cite is a complete throwaway because it’s empty calories. He’ll concede more goals than he’ll help produce.

I'm not asking Seves to carry Hamilton's weight, but to at least approximate some of the things Hamilton can do...I'm just as not fond of him as you are, but there's things that he can bring offensively to this team that no one else not named Dougie really can.  Devils can't just give up on the season if Hamilton were to go down.  You're not going to get anyone like Hamilton via trade (unless you give up a lot, and the Devils don't need to give up a lot when you've got the kids that they'll have coming).  I SO wish there was a better in-house solution, but I don't see who else can (partially) slot into what Dougie brings.

Is it ideal?  Not remotely, and I don't want to make it sound like Seves being given Top 4 minutes again is going to thrill me.  But unless you want to give up assets to bring in a rental, or want to give a guy like Reilly Walsh an extended look, or think Nemec is NHL ready, I'm not sure how easy it is dump Seves.  And this is coming from someone who is counting the days until his time here is up.

Of course, fingers crossed that we never have to go down this road, and Dougie simply plays in almost every single game. 

7 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

After hearing what Ruff said, would it be a shock if Severson sits the next game? Even if he doesn't sit, the callout is an eye-opener. 

I didn't feel like Severson was hard enough on himself last night in the post-game. He took responsibility but also tried a bit too hard to mitigate it. Yea, if it was a one off sure I accept it, but he has done this A TON in his career.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I didn't feel like Severson was hard enough on himself last night in the post-game. He took responsibility but also tried a bit too hard to mitigate it. Yea, if it was a one off sure I accept it, but he has done this A TON in his career.

Severson can have a drink with Zach Wilson.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Showed a total lack of self-awareness. I’m on my last nerve with that guy. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Showed a total lack of self-awareness. 

He really did. He acted like he was on a losing team. Things have changed, though.

From what I've seen of Kevin Bahl, he's good enough to make Severson a scratch for more than one game.

Edited by Jerrydevil
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

After hearing what Ruff said, would it be a shock if Severson sits the next game? Even if he doesn't sit, the callout is an eye-opener. 

Yeah this feels very much like a "I've had it, I've really and finally fvcking HAD IT!" kind of move.  This is why Seves is a bad-team player...on a bad team, you live with those mistakes because in the end, what is he really costing you?  And you're hoping that he'll figure out, as you have the luxury (through irrelevance) of trying to be patient.

It's obvious that with where this team is, that if you're not pulling your weight, you're no longer guaranteed a spot in the lineup.  Like that a guy who's pretty much never been held accountable finally is. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Showed a total lack of self-awareness. I’m on my last nerve with that guy. 

You must have a LOT more nerves in reserve than me heh heh.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah this feels very much like a "I've had it, I've really and finally fvcking HAD IT!" kind of move.  This is why Seves is a bad-team player...on a bad team, you live with those mistakes because in the end, what is he really costing you?  And you're hoping that he'll figure out, as you have the luxury (through irrelevance) of trying to be patient.

It's obvious that with where this team is, that if you're not pulling your weight, you're no longer guaranteed a spot in the lineup.  Like that a guy who's pretty much never been held accountable finally is. 

I watched the interview again, and of course perception is only part of it, but holy sh!t he really thought he was in the right making that play. Like no “I cost us the game” emotion, it was “I’m an offensive player and tried to make a play. Oh well.” Bro you’re a defender, you’re supposed to ensure plays like that don’t happen, you’re the backup for the guys who can actually make that play happen. And you don’t care!

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Severson has been doing the same "WTF?!" sh!t his entire career.  Hopefully if he does get moved this year, some team sees his career year (offensively) set just last season and is willing to bite...and give up something decent in return.   

You know what would be a match as far as players in their last contract year?

Damon Severson for Pavel Zacha.

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I watched the interview again, and of course perception is only part of it, but holy sh!t he really thought he was in the right making that play. Like no “I cost us the game” emotion, it was “I’m an offensive player and tried to make a play. Oh well.” Bro you’re a defender, you’re supposed to ensure plays like that don’t happen, you’re the backup for the guys who can actually make that play happen. And you don’t care!

If anything, it's a real insight as to how someone can indeed make so many boneheaded mistakes.  

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

You know what would be a match as far as players in their last contract year?

Damon Severson for Pavel Zacha.

I'd probably make that deal.  Not sure why Boston ever would.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not asking Seves to carry Hamilton's weight, but to at least approximate some of the things Hamilton can do...I'm just as not fond of him as you are, but there's things that he can bring offensively to this team that no one else not named Dougie really can.  Devils can't just give up on the season if Hamilton were to go down.  You're not going to get anyone like Hamilton via trade (unless you give up a lot, and the Devils don't need to give up a lot when you've got the kids that they'll have coming).  I SO wish there was a better in-house solution, but I don't see who else can (partially) slot into what Dougie brings.

Is it ideal?  Not remotely, and I don't want to make it sound like Seves being given Top 4 minutes again is going to thrill me.  But unless you want to give up assets to bring in a rental, or want to give a guy like Reilly Walsh an extended look, or think Nemec is NHL ready, I'm not sure how easy it is dump Seves.  And this is coming from someone who is counting the days until his time here is up.

Of course, fingers crossed that we never have to go down this road, and Dougie simply plays in almost every single game. 

Honestly, we could put Walsh in for Severson tomorrow and be a better team. Even if Hamilton were to go down I think Walsh could offer some production from the backend. If not, defense by committee. Keeping Severson around isn’t worth it imo.

50 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s almost as bad as Devils Facebook Fans. 

im not exposed to those thankfully lol I only know like... 3-4 people that are devils fans around here, its rare

For a little while i was following some fb devils group and i got out of there pretty fast lol

41 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Those places are scary. There’s some real wild takes in those groups 

Thats because 96% of them have absolutely no idea what the hell they’re talking about, most of the time that devils all day all night is quite annoying and its ran by a real heathen 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Thx, Hamilton hasn’t been very good lately.

He hasn't been very good for most of his time here, but as long as he's not visibly AWFUL like some of these jamokes, their record makes me less mad about it. His contract might make me feel different in a couple years but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. 

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

He hasn't been very good for most of his time here, but as long as he's not visibly AWFUL like some of these jamokes, their record makes me less mad about it. His contract might make me feel different in a couple years but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. 

I assume he meant defensively. Because he’s currently on pace for about 63 points, which would be a career high. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I assume he meant defensively. Because he’s currently on pace for about 63 points, which would be a career high. 

And, that’s about what I was expecting. Not great defensively and high scoring. Another reason to get rid of Severson, because having more than one guy like that is a significant liability, and Hamilton > Severson. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

And, that’s about what I was expecting. Not great defensively and high scoring. Another reason to get rid of Severson, because having more than one guy like that is a significant liability, and Hamilton > Severson. 

Unless you're Damon Severson, then you think you're the next coming of Bobby fvcking Orr

I know I'm being overly hyperbolic, but the luster of the hot start paired with his overtly poor play has me back to loathing Seversuck