The Unintended GDT 1/10/23 Devs @ Canes 7:00 PM EST ESPN+ Hulu

Rock

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don’t play them again until 3/12.  Hope the Devils smoke them…I really hate that franchise…not quite as much as the Rangers, but it’s close.

firmly on my mount rushmore of hate for hockey teams. rangers, flyers, islanders, hurricanes

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

You think that means anything? My turn!!!!

Jack Hughes is one of the best players in the league! (I believe 4th in even strength scoring coming into tonight.) But you’re right, Ruff should totally stop making “abhorrent” personnel decisions. :lol: 

how’d i do with my turn at making false equivalencies?

And here I thought penalty killing was a unit that relies on all 4 guys to do their jobs effectively. The other 3 must be fvcking outstanding to be able to carry useless non-NHL player Yegor Sharongovich!

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

admittedly lost all faith after the SECOND shorthanded goal.

what a bounceback. what a game from mercer.

After that second shorty, VVs eyes and body language looked completely shell-shocked.

Then our bottom 6 guys stepped up, it was awesome to see.

Selfishly, I wish they'd start their resilience a little bit earlier, mostly for health/stress considerations, but man, with goals like that and them FINALLY finding a pair and driving to the front and willing to take a hit, obviously cannot complain with the result.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

After that second shorty, VVs eyes and body language looked completely shell-shocked.

Then our bottom 6 guys stepped up, it was awesome to see.

Selfishly, I wish they'd start their resilience a little bit earlier, mostly for health/stress considerations, but man, with goals like that and them FINALLY finding a pair and driving to the front and willing to take a hit, obviously cannot complain with the result.

Yeah obviously 4-1-1 in their last 6, which we'll all happily take (especially after that 1-7-1 slump), but definitely work to be done.  They've given up 51 goals over their last 15 GP...would like to see them improve on that...hopefully Marino isn't too far from returning.  Devils sorely need him.  

• Like 1

And on a side note...much in the same way that Severson just seems to attract minuses (though he's a +3 so far this season), plusses just have this odd way of finding their way to Ryan Graves.  For much of last night's game he was awful...I like Graves but I was cursing at him plenty...yet somehow by the end of the game he's a +3.  And is now a +25 on the season (to lead the team)...if asked I would've thought he was a lot closer to even. 

And on another side note...Michael McLeod is on pace to finish with more points than Yegor Sharangovich (just two goals over his last 18 GP).  That's kind of a problem...and it's clearly not lost on the coaching staff, because Yegor's playing time has been cut drastically...after averaging over 16:00 TOI in his first two seasons (and over 15:00 TOI through 24 GP this season), he's down to 12:32 TOI over his last 17 GP...and isn't really showing many signs of getting it going.

Basically, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Fitz were to deal him in a "Shake things up" kind of move, especially if the Devils go into another funk.  Of course he's usually been much more productive in the second half so far, but that was also with no pressure and his team already being toast.  More and more it feels like he's writing himself out of future chapters here.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Or maybe he hates the Rockies cause of the wonder bread clown jerseys, I totally get it lol

maybe he hates the colorado rockies baseball team so much that his hatred transcends sports.

or maybe he went skiing in the rockies and had a horrible time?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Or maybe he hates the Rockies cause of the wonder bread clown jerseys, I totally get it lol

It's funny...obviously the BK Wonder Digglers grew on me, but last night they jumped to a replay of Seves' OT goal against the Rangers during the game, and when you go from watching the Devils' "standard" Adidas jerseys to the RR 2.0, it is rather jarring.

I'm really curious to see what happens once the Adidas deal expires.  If the Devils go back to anything from 1982-2017 (or a new design heavily based on those layouts), I'll consider it an immediate improvement.  Hoping the Jersey jersey thing will die at the same time, but there's just way too many of them being worn at games to think that they're not going to stick around for several years.  The fact is that many fans are diggin' 'em.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's funny...obviously the BK Wonder Digglers grew on me, but last night they jumped to a replay of Seves' OT goal against the Rangers during the game, and when you go from watching the Devils' "standard" Adidas jerseys to the RR 2.0, it is rather jarring.

I'm really curious to see what happens once the Adidas deal expires.  If the Devils go back to anything from 1982-2017 (or a new design heavily based on those layouts), I'll consider it an immediate improvement.  Hoping the Jersey jersey thing will die at the same time, but there's just way too many of them being worn at games to think that they're not going to stick around for several years.  The fact is that many fans are diggin' 'em.  

I think the Jersey jerseys need to be worn one more season per the alternate jersey rules. I’m pretty sure it’s 3 seasons 10-15 times a season. Then maybe we can get a nice alternate based off the 92-2017 style 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's so funny different people's brains work. I LOATHE the RR-2s but when they showed the Severson replay I was like "they look kinda good there". 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

And here I thought penalty killing was a unit that relies on all 4 guys to do their jobs effectively. The other 3 must be fvcking outstanding to be able to carry useless non-NHL player Yegor Sharongovich!

Missed this reply last night but the timing of this article on SBNation today couldn’t have been better. 

TLDR; Sharangovich ranks 6th (out of 6) in goals against % of Devils who play regularly on the penalty kill. So, basically exactly what you said, but unironically.

“…when Sharangovich is killing a penalty, the opposition’s power play is performing better and scoring more goals compared with other Devils forwards. These numbers suggest that Sharangovich should not be averaging over two minutes per game on a PK. If anything, they suggest that he really should not be on a penalty kill. The stats were relatively OK in 2021 but he was among the worst among qualified Devils forwards since then. From attempts allowed to expected goals to high-danger chances allowed to actual goals, Sharangovich is seeing the most against compared with Nico Hischier, Mercer, McLeod, Haula, and Nathan Bastian - who is currently injured. This is not good. And it is not as if Sharangovich’s shorthanded on-ice rate stats rank well among forwards in the NHL. I feel confident in stating that Sharangovich may not be so good at killing penalties.

I understand that the Devils’ penalty kill is quite successful as a team relative to the NHL this season. I cannot agree that Sharangovich is all that good at killing penalties. The data in the chart supports that. To that end, it confuses me that Sharangovich plays regularly on the PK, much less that he has received more time on it compared with last season.”

Edited by MB3
  • Thanks 1