2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

5 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

How lucky are the Golden Nuggets? They have a chance to win a championship in two different sports in the same year.  I mean, that’s gotta be a record I would think.

IMG_0600.jpeg

That's journalism. I wonder how much of this sh!t is getting written by AI and not even checked.

19 minutes ago, Crisis said:

The jersey sponsor is totally destroying the look of the jersey with the Stanley Cup patch.  Embarrassing.

Photo of Panthers captain Aleksander Barkov’s white away jersey hanging in his stall with the 2023 Stanley Cup Final patch.

https://twitter.com/flapanthers/status/1664036591478734848

Since these Panther jerseys have always had a soccer jersey feel to them, I find it less noticeable here.  But I agree, don't like the sponsor name on jerseys, never will.

I'd like to see them make their RR jerseys their full-time look.  They capture the "feel" of Florida.  

I know the Canadian hockey world is peddling this as a "worst case scenario" for the league, but I love when new teams/franchises get a chance to win it.  

I happen to hate the Panthers for how they targeted Nico, so I'll be pulling for the Knights.  Should be a hell of a series.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I know the Canadian hockey world is peddling this as a "worst case scenario" for the league, but I love when new teams/franchises get a chance to win it.  

I happen to hate the Panthers for how they targeted Nico, so I'll be pulling for the Knights.  Should be a hell of a series.

I've always hated the "Oh this [insert league] final is really what everyone wants to see..." crap.  Any team playing in the league has a shot to get in and that's how it should be.  As far as the NHL goes, I don't care about if a certain team was an Original 6 or plays in a massive market or in Canada.  If the Panthers and the Golden Knights are the last two teams standing, so be it.  Maybe those "everyone allegedly wants to watch" teams can figure out how to get there (preferably without officials offering assistance along the way). 

• Like 1

That jersey looks terrible with that ad, and the patch on that wrong side. 

The NHL does few things right.  Clinging to tradition and holding true to values and history used to be one of them. fvcking sellouts like everyone else. 

Whatever happened to standing up for principles?  There's already ads on the ice, on commercials, on boards, and now helmets.  Greed man.  fvcking greeeeeeeeed. 

They ain't getting my money for that sh!t. I feel like one good online petition with a million signatures might actually get the league to notice and take action. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

They ain't getting my money for that sh!t. I feel like one good online petition with a million signatures might actually get the league to notice and take action. 

Not a chance Bettman even begins to give a sh!t about that

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

That's so jarring I forgot where it usually goes. 

Eh, any jersey that isn’t a C or A will look fine.

Still, it seems like an easy fix to just move the autonation patch up above the seam and then have the finals patch directly across from the Captains C.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Not a chance Bettman even begins to give a sh!t about that

I don't disagree, but I'm just wondering what other options are there. None?  It's their league, so they do what they want, and we just have to sit here and take it? Basically either be a fan and suffer with sh!tty jerseys and ads, or go watch Rugby?  Don't get me wrong, this isn't exactly the hill I want to die on, I'm just thinking that there's gotta be some way to get leagues/corporations to take notice and hear the voice of the people. 

And for this particular issue, I feel like enough people care about it and have a similar viewpoint. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't disagree, but I'm just wondering what other options are there. None?  It's their league, so they do what they want, and we just have to sit here and take it? Basically either be a fan and suffer with sh!tty jerseys and ads, or go watch Rugby?  Don't get me wrong, this isn't exactly the hill I want to die on, I'm just thinking that there's gotta be some way to get leagues/corporations to take notice and hear the voice of the people. 

And for this particular issue, I feel like enough people care about it and have a similar viewpoint. 

I am surprised Boston walked back things on Mitch Miller when they signed him, but that took considerable pressure from fans and Boston players and there was no money involved. That was a Chernobyl level PR disaster.

But... Yes, the bolded pretty much. The only place where grass-roots movements make a difference against billion dollar corporations where money is involved is in the movies.

If we(fans) couldn't rise up and bitch hard enough about the board ads everyone hates there is no way we're going to change their minds on the Jersey ads. Even if you had 100% support of a place the size of the hockey subreddit, that's still not big enough to make a dent for a long enough amount of time to have them walk it back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

First and foremost, I agree with you, I hate ads on the jersey and so wish that it wasn't a thing.  But that can of worms has already been opened and more worms will be squirming with the ones already released, in due time.

The fact is one million signatures won't mean jack sh!t to Bettman & Co.  Think about how small of a number that is with regards to the entire NHL fanbase.  Also ask yourself how passionate most of them would truly be about this.

If you really want to see the NHL even begin to reconsider affixing ads to jerseys, you'd need to see some pushback on a Bud Light-ian scale.  You'd first need to see a massive and immediate dropoff in jersey sales (which clearly already didn't happen).  The NHL of course (and whoever is manufacturing the jerseys...right now that's obviously Adidas, but not for much longer) would then want to know what is the root cause capable driving such a sharp sales decline; they won't be fully convinced right off the bat that it's strictly due to jersey ads, even if many fans are already making it blatantly obvious.  The NHL will want conclusive evidence supporting such a correlation.  So there would then be market research performed and consumer polls taken as part of a comprehensive study to determine beyond any reasonable doubt that yes indeed, fans in very large numbers are SO bent out of shape about jersey ads that they're willing not to buy any team's jersey that adorns ads of any kind.  And even then, the powers that be would probably take an extended "Let's see if this blows over" approach before doing anything that they'd consider "rash".

Besides, sports are a diversion, in the grand scheme of life...people won't be pissed off long enough to fight a good fight they have little chance of winning, and they'll go into "OK I don't like these stupid jersey ads but I guess that I can live with 'em, was only a matter of time anyway" mode sooner than later...so much so that those who continue to complain about them will be told "OK, we get it, you hate jersey ads, they ain't going anywhere, get over it already!"

And of course, if ever asked directly, Bettman & Co will just about always say "Well we've done our research and we find that the fans really like [insert polarizing-at-best change here].  Because as soon as we say something, it's automatically true by default and that's that.  So there!"  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1