GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes - Game 2 8:00PM 5/5 TNT

Nicomo

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Why is the stadium so empty right now? Are those all Devils fans that left early?  I don't get it...who the hell leaves a home playoff game early when your team is up 6-1?  

Traffic, the place is in the middle of nowhere and sucks to get out of and they are another fairweather fan base like the majority of fan bases in our country. 

I'm afraid despite the losses coming at home there was more positives to take from games 1 & 2 against the Rags than these two. They managed to end game 1 on some sort of a high note with Jack's penalty shot goal on Shesterkin and in game 2 they actually held the lead after the 1st.

I really don't know what they can hold on to after these. Looking a little less awful in the latter half of game 1 and half of tonight's first period?

• Like 1

This isn’t a comment I make in the heat of the moment because I’ve been saying I didn’t think we should break the bank on Bratt for a while but IMO he’s played his way out of any type of long term contract commitment that isn’t significantly lower than anything we’ve heard mentioned.  I’ve been underwhelmed by his game since the intensity of games picked up after the new year but he looks like a little boy out there in these playoffs.    This isn’t being snakebitten, this is just being worthless.  I would rather see Fitz keep cap flexibility so we can have depth than pay any type of market value on Bratt.   Like Severson, I think he’s best off getting PAID elsewhere 

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

They'll either show some pride on Sunday or they won't. To be continued...

I hope Fitz drafts some physical D men with mean streaks and a Russian goalie. 

I wouldn't mind if they add some responsibility and scoring to the pride.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

No matter what happens the rest of this series I’m just going to remind myself that they beat the Rags in the playoffs, set the franchise record for wins, and that Jack broke Patty’s points record. There was plenty to feel good about. 

If this was more the middle or near the end of the window and the Devils had gone all in re:  giving up a lot of future assets, I’d be a lot more pissed about this series so far.  Like I said in a previous post, just glad that this wasn’t the “We’re ready and we’re going for it all RIGHT NOW!” year.  The Rangers were much closer to that than the Devils are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Game might have been different had they converted early on in the game. The power play ghosts are coming back to bite us. They hand away prime opportunities like that and the momentum shifts completely.

Dougie  hitting the post early on was a killer 

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

This isn’t a comment I make in the heat of the moment because I’ve been saying I didn’t think we should break the bank on Bratt for a while but IMO he’s payed his way out of any type of long term contract commitment that isn’t significantly lower than anything we’ve heard mentions.  I’ve been underwhelmed by his game since the intensity of games picked up after the new year but he looks like a little boy out there in these playoffs.    This isn’t being snakebitten, this is just being worthless.  I would rather see Fitz keep cap flexibility to we can have depth than pay any type of market value on Bratt.   Like Severson, I think he’s best off getting PAID elsewhere 

I agree. 

And I will continue to pound the table to take that money and use it to add Hellebucyk, who is by all accounts available in the Peg. 

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

This isn’t a comment I make in the heat of the moment because I’ve been saying I didn’t think we should break the bank on Bratt for a while but IMO he’s payed his way out of any type of long term contract commitment that isn’t significantly lower than anything we’ve heard mentions.  I’ve been underwhelmed by his game since the intensity of games picked up after the new year but he looks like a little boy out there in these playoffs.    This isn’t being snakebitten, this is just being worthless.  I would rather see Fitz keep cap flexibility to we can have depth than pay any type of market value on Bratt.   Like Severson, I think he’s best off getting PAID elsewhere 

This is fair.  He’s been invisible.  

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I'm ok with Bratt. I'd never pay him what he's going to get.  The Devils need to move him to get bigger and stronger.  They need two more hard nosed forwards and two hard nosed defensemen.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’d rather give Severson a hometown discount if he’d take it over paying Bratt more than what we think he’s worth.

Severson has at least stepped up in the post season. Last time I remember that I saw Bratt was pouring milk into my cereal.

Also Graves can crawl his way to free agency since that’s the equivalent of his skating speed right now

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Revan said:

So this is this faceplanting everyone said inexperienced teams do in the playoffs

Not sure about that. Carolina made the playoffs in 2019 for the first time in 9 years, went to the ECF and have been in the post season every year since. I think Brindamour is just a hell of a good coach. They're a machine. 

3 minutes ago, capo said:

I think it's likely we see Luke in game 3. Graves didn't get a shift in the 3rd. Unless of course he goes with Smith.

I can't wait until Graves is no longer a Devil. 

5 minutes ago, capo said:

I think it's likely we see Luke in game 3. Graves didn't get a shift in the 3rd. Unless of course he goes with Smith.

They really have no choice. 

If he bombs, so what. They weren’t winning anyway in that case. 

The experience alone is worth it. 

if I’m Lindy, Yeogor, Luke, Smith, Boquist all in. 

Graves, Bahl, Lazar and Bratt out. 

17 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

This isn’t a comment I make in the heat of the moment because I’ve been saying I didn’t think we should break the bank on Bratt for a while but IMO he’s payed his way out of any type of long term contract commitment that isn’t significantly lower than anything we’ve heard mentioned.  I’ve been underwhelmed by his game since the intensity of games picked up after the new year but he looks like a little boy out there in these playoffs.    This isn’t being snakebitten, this is just being worthless.  I would rather see Fitz keep cap flexibility so we can have depth than pay any type of market value on Bratt.   Like Severson, I think he’s best off getting PAID elsewhere 

Yeah, when the going gets tough Bratt fades into the background.

Not someone you commit 8 million bucks to against the cap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smelly said:

They really have no choice. 

If he bombs, so what. They weren’t winning anyway in that case. 

The experience alone is worth it. 

if I’m Lindy, Yeogor, Luke, Smith, Boquist all in. 

Graves, Bahl, Lazar and Bratt out. 

No way am I benching Bahl or Lazar. Even with his penalties, Bahl is still the only defender hitting people. 

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

No way am I benching Bahl or Lazar. Even with his penalties, Bahl is still the only defender hitting people. 

I think Bahl has sucked these two games. 

And Lazar is JAG IMO. Much greater upside with Yeogor (shot and PK) and Jesper (all around game). 

I see no option but to go back to Smid. 

But goalie is still a huge hole in this organization. 

Fitz took it from below-NHL quality to solid this year. 

This summer he needs to find a way to make it even a little above average. 

The window is opening, but won’t last forever. Can’t waste any years with mediocre goalie play. 

Edited by smelly

17 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

This isn’t a comment I make in the heat of the moment because I’ve been saying I didn’t think we should break the bank on Bratt for a while but IMO he’s payed his way out of any type of long term contract commitment that isn’t significantly lower than anything we’ve heard mentioned.  I’ve been underwhelmed by his game since the intensity of games picked up after the new year but he looks like a little boy out there in these playoffs.    This isn’t being snakebitten, this is just being worthless.  I would rather see Fitz keep cap flexibility so we can have depth than pay any type of market value on Bratt.   Like Severson, I think he’s best off getting PAID elsewhere 

my 6x6 seems generous now. some fools on twitter wanted to pay him over 9. LMAO 

he showed his worth so far these playoffs, and hopefully he's on another team next year. 

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Bahl is still the only defender hitting people. 

If I'm Lindy I'm telling Bahl to use his damn size and punish Kotkatniemi and Fast on Sunday. Forget Graves, he's a useless p u s s y. He has size and never uses it and he sucks. 

Time for the wrecking Bahl 

Edited by slasher72

1 minute ago, slasher72 said:

If I'm Lindy I'm telling Bahl to use his damn size and punish Kotkatniemi and Fast on Sunday. Forget Graves, he's a useless p u s s y. He has size and never uses it and he sucks. 

Time for the wrecking Bahl 

Don’t disagree in theory, but IMO all that will result in is Bahl’s being way out of position. He’s not a heavy hitter anyway. Carolina has gotten their hits when they are there, but they have presented a master class in maintaining defensive structure 

• Like 1