Timo re-signs, 8 years @ 8.8 mil per

DevilMinder

5 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

TM presser being held currently

This guy, man. Loyalty and heart running through his veins.  If we didn't have so many deserving candidates who've been here longer, I'd say slap an A on his jersey immediately. 

I'm stoked I got a Timo Time t shirt last season and can't wait to wear it again. 

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 1

47 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This guy, man. Loyalty and heart running through his veins.  If we didn't have so many deserving candidates who've been here longer, I'd say slap an A on his jersey immediately. 

I'm stoked I got a Timo Time t shirt last season and can't wait to wear it again. 

Wait for the number... he could switch to his old number... Now that Sevs is out of here

On 6/28/2023 at 2:00 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, will get interesting as Dawson, Luke, and Nemec all need new deals, but the Devils are in great shape for the next couple of years.  Cory and Kuokkanen’s combined dead hit of $2.325 million coming off the books during the 2024 offseason is huge.  

The current situation should put the kebosh on any more Hellebuyck talk.  The money to bring him in is flat-out not there.  The Devils are built to keep goaltending costs down, and I think that is ABSOLUTELY the way to go.  That is not the position to lock guys up to top dollar and for max or near-max term.

Vegas just won with Hill so I agree, they don’t need to spend a ton at that position.

Regarding, future contracts for Luke, Nemec and Mercer, that will be tough for Fitz to figure out.  A side for the 2.34m coming of the books next year, there’s not much else coming off the books, other than, newly acquired Toffoli at 4.25m.  That’s assuming Toffoli is a one year rental.

Then there is Akira.  Yes, he is RFA, but if he pans out and is solid, there’s a fourth contract to consider next year.

Furthermore, what if Holtz breaks out?  Fitz will have to make some tough decisions.

I think Fitz will have to do something about Palat at 6m and Dougie at 9m and they have NTCs.  That’s 15m right there.

Edit:  That’s assuming he wants to extend anyone before their ELC contract ends.  Mercer will get an extension next year.  Also, Smith’s contract ends next year for another 1m.

Edited by Puckbuster

7 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Vegas just won with Hill so I agree, they don’t need to spend a ton at that position.

Regarding, future contracts for Luke, Nemec and Mercer, that will be tough for Fitz to figure out.  A side for the 2.34m coming of the books next year, there’s not much else coming off the books, other than, newly acquired Toffoli at 4.25m.  That’s assuming Toffoli is a one year rental.

Then there is Akira.  Yes, he is RFA, but if he pans out and is solid, there’s a fourth contract to consider next year.

Furthermore, what if Holtz breaks out?  Fitz will have to make some tough decisions.

I think Fitz will have to do something about Palat at 6m and Dougie at 9m and they have NTCs.  That’s 15m right there.

Edit:  That’s assuming he wants to extend anyone before their ELC contract ends.  Mercer will get an extension next year.  Also, Smith’s contract ends next year for another 1m.

You’re right that there will be hard decisions to make in future summers but I think we should be okay next year if the cap rises by the rumored 4-5 million for the ‘24-25 season.  The timing of both the long stretch of a flat cap as well as when it’s supposed to rise again was/is ideal for what Fitz is executing.  

Short of something incredible like a Conn Smythe for Schmid, I can’t imaging Holtz or AS being in line for anything more than a bridge contract even if they do break out.  I would think Fitz would want to see a bigger body of work before we commit significant cap to either one.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I do suspect Toffoli is a rental, and I also suspect that such trades will become part of Fitz’s MO going forward…making deals for productive players on expiring contracts, that he won’t have to pay long-term.  Not a bad strategy, in that you bring in an over-30 guy without worrying about his decline years later, and someone else can offer him a multi-year deal.  Doing that also offers some flexibility, in that you’ll have a spot for a promising kid open if in any given season you don’t feel like you need to trade for a cost-controlled, term-controlled vet.

Yeah Fitz will have tough calls to make in time, but every team with several good players finds themselves in that bind at some point.  With the dead money coming off next year, Mercer’s deal shouldn’t be too hard to slot in, though gotta see what Schmid does.  2025 will be tough…that’s when Luke’s ELC is up.  But at least that’s two full seasons away.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Timo might be the first NHL player to understand that you can actually do New York things if so inclined…WITHOUT signing with the Rangers heh heh.  You can still do those things if you play your home games in Newark.

Looking forward to seeing if he can continue to get inside Shesterkin’s head.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Imagine that 🤣

Well it sure seems like a lot of NHLers can’t!

I’ve mentioned it but Fitz really did a hell of job trying to change the perception of what New Jersey itself actually is.  I remember one too many NHL hosts cracking jokes about NJ.  Fitz went out of his way to sell the Devils and NJ as an enticing package…not so sure just any GM would’ve thought to do that, much less done it so effectively.  He’s been a better GM than I think any of us ever could dreamed when Shero was canned.  

• Like 3

Fitz has definitely beat my expectations far and wide. When he was taking over he sounded like a scared shakey school girl in his first presser.. guys voice was trembling and he actually looked upset.. now he’s become a phenomenal GM. Also, love that timo chose to stay here and he believes in this team, same with bratt, it’s a great feeling that people actually want to be here, something we’re not used to anymore. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Fitz has definitely beat my expectations far and wide. When he was taking over he sounded like a scared shakey school girl in his first presser.. guys voice was trembling and he actually looked upset.. now he’s become a phenomenal GM. Also, love that timo chose to stay here and he believes in this team, same with bratt, it’s a great feeling that people actually want to be here, something we’re not used to anymore. 

It's pretty upsetting and daunting to watch your mentor loose his job and have to take everything on when you've never been that guy before. I get it. I couldn't be happier with how Fitz has done. He was ready to take the job.

• Like 2

I like Timo a lot as a player, and really glad he stayed, I do think however it's being overplayed  that he took a haircut to stay here. Judging by the huge majority of the signings today and so far this offseason he got a sh!tload of money and term in today's market in a flat cap world. 

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

I like Timo a lot as a player, and really glad he stayed, I do think however it's being overplayed  that he took a haircut to stay here. Judging by the huge majority of the signings today and so far this offseason he got a sh!tload of money and term in today's market in a flat cap world. 

Because this UFA class was absolutely terrible. Timo would have been far and away the best player available. I do think he left some money on the table. Not a ton, but if you look at the list of wingers making $9 million + Timo could have likely joined that group. 

Artemi Panarin, Mitch Marner, Patrick Kane, Johnny Gaudreau, Mark Stone, Alex Ovechkin, Nikita Kucherov, Matthew Tkachuk, Mikko Rantanen, Kirill Kaprizov, and Jeff Skinner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Because this UFA class was absolutely terrible. Timo would have been far and away the best player available. I do think he left some money on the table. Not a ton, but if you look at the list of wingers making $9 million + Timo could have likely joined that group. 

Artemi Panarin, Mitch Marner, Patrick Kane, Johnny Gaudreau, Mark Stone, Alex Ovechkin, Nikita Kucherov, Matthew Tkachuk, Mikko Rantanen, Kirill Kaprizov, and Jeff Skinner.

image0.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, titans04 said:

You think he was over paid? What do you think a 26 year old 40 goal scoring power forward is worth on the open market? Jesus Christ, some people are never happy. 

Hey @2ELIAS6 I never said I wasn't happy so piss off, excuse me for not sharing your opinion and the whole jesus christ thing. How many of those guys mentioned signed deals post covid in a flat cap era. Gaudreau was grossly overpaid almost comical at ~10M. Timo has had 1 40 goal season, a 35 and nothing else even close. So yeah I think the whole he took less is a narrative that is being overplayed. I also said I believe twice I was glad he stayed. I don't think he was getting a much better if an any better deal anywhere else with so few teams (especially contending teams) having that much money available and if they did not willing to give it to one player.  If he signed that deal somewhere else there would absolutely be guys here saying good luck with that.  But let's try this a little louder this time for the guys in the back, I'm glad he's here, still. 

14 hours ago, titans04 said:

Maybe not a haircut, but I think we’re all appreciative that he (and Bratt) didn’t squeeze for every single dollar they felt was “owed” to them.   From the time Fitz said they were going to start negotiating, it took what, two weeks?   Basically he just wanted a fair deal.  

By comparison, look what’s going on with the Leafs.   By all accounts, Nylander is looking for absolute top dollar since no one else on that team ever took a team friendly deal.   

I can’t seem to find a link at the moment but I do think it eventually came out that Grier offered Timo a deal of 9+ that was rejected before putting him on the trade market.  If true, he technically did take less to stay in NJ.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1