2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t like breaking up Jack and Bratt. They’re electric together. 

Same, but flipping the centers might be the best way to get Timo going. I like keeping Timo and Hughes apart too because of how they both tend to be volume shooters and it helps them carry the offense on their respective lines. 

I do think that it's just to get Meier going. 

Another option would be to go with:

Bratt-Hughes-Toffoli

Palat-Hischier-Holtz

Meier-Haula-Mercer

I know you never want your highest paid forward to be a “third liner”, but it would arguably be pretty equivalent to the Hischier line talent-wise. Meier would also get his minutes on the power play. It could be that he just thrives in a role where he is the main guy on his line. Then once he finds his game in the Devils system, you can start mixing things up again. 

42 minutes ago, nessus said:

Another option would be to go with:

Bratt-Hughes-Toffoli

Palat-Hischier-Holtz

Meier-Haula-Mercer

I know you never want your highest paid forward to be a “third liner”, but it would arguably be pretty equivalent to the Hischier line talent-wise. Meier would also get his minutes on the power play. It could be that he just thrives in a role where he is the main guy on his line. Then once he finds his game in the Devils system, you can start mixing things up again. 

Haula is out with an injury though. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I know it wasn’t all bad with PK and unfortunately the Devils got him on the decline, but the slew-footing crap that he pulled on multiple occasions…that sh!t is impossible to defend.

Like him in the studio though.  He’s done a fine job there.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2023 at 4:26 PM, MadDog2020 said:

This alludes to his slow starts but I didn't realize last years start was worse than they mentioned.  He didn't get his first goal or second point of the season until game 10 and still finished with 40 goals and 66 points.   

That being said, what's most concerning about the first 3 games this year is he isn't being physical or getting many quality chances.   At least in the Rangers series he was throwing the body around while also getting robbed of goals by Shesterkin multiple times.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

This alludes to his slow starts but I didn't realize last years start was worse than they mentioned.  He didn't get his first goal or second point of the season until game 10 and still finished with 40 goals and 66 points.   

That being said, what's most concerning about the first 3 games this year is he isn't being physical or getting many quality chances.   At least in the Rangers series he was throwing the body around while also getting robbed of goals by Shesterkin multiple times.   

He had two assists through 9 games last season.  He then went on quite the rampage:  30 G and 19 A over his next 43 GP (only 19 points over his final 37 GP though, including the playoffs)

Agree, it's only three games, but the only thing he seems to be doing so far is screwing his team over by taking bad penalties.  For him to get benched this early in the season pretty much screams that Lindy thought "OK, this is beyond Timo playing his way out of this with more ice time, I need to send a serious message here!"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Now if only he’d bench Brendan Smith for taking penalties. 

Not sure how Marino got benched but Smith of all players was allowed to keep playing.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvck that. Call up Nemec.

Nemec is day-to-day last I heard.  He may not be able to go either.  Get the feeling Devils wouldn't be calling him up so soon anyway.

I've typically laid off Brendan Smith because I realize he's just a place holder and it does seem like he was part of the veteran leadership group with Palat and Haula that helped this young group off the ice last year so they could make a huge jump on the ice but....

Yeah, he's been so BAAAAAAD these first three games.  I liked that Fitz went out an got a second 7th D option in Miller this summer and already that doesn't seem like enough with the two possible injuries.  We're going to need to have some other option if this goes on too much longer.    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I've typically laid off Brendan Smith because I realize he's just a place holder and it does seem like he was part of the veteran leadership group with Palat and Haula that helped this young group off the ice last year so they could make a huge jump on the ice but....

Yeah, he's been so BAAAAAAD these first three games.  I liked that Fitz went out an got a second 7th D option in Miller this summer and already that doesn't seem like enough with the two possible injuries.  We're going to need to have some other option if this goes on too much longer.    

The problem is that somehow he's managed to appear in 63 out of 85 regular season games since coming here; of course it's hard to imagine that was ever Plan A, but last season Bahl was not quite ready to stick until well into the second half of the season (he played in 29 out of the Devils' last 36 reg season games, after only appearing in 13 out of the first 46).  And now Colin Miller has a bad enough preseason to fall behind Smith on the depth chart, and he might be hurt to boot.

Smith seems like one of those guys who at the moment is destined to have 9 lives here.  But yeah Smith being the guy who's supposed to be veteran protection for Luke is not ideal at all.   

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The problem is that somehow he's managed to appear in 63 out of 85 regular season games since coming here; of course it's hard to imagine that was ever Plan A, but last season Bahl was not quite ready to stick until well into the second half of the season (he played in 29 out of the Devils' last 36 reg season games, after only appearing in 13 out of the first 46).  And now Colin Miller has a bad enough preseason to fall behind Smith on the depth chart, and he might be hurt to boot.

Smith seems like one of those guys who at the moment is destined to have 9 lives here.  But yeah Smith being the guy who's supposed to be veteran protection for Luke is not ideal at all.   

Peter Harrold 2.0… I wanna puke…

• Angry 1

15 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Peter Harrold 2.0… I wanna puke…

Can you believe that guy played in parts of nine seasons in the NHL (five with the Kings, four with the Devils...played in as many as 69 games)? 

At he didn't burn a path to the penalty box...he only had 24 PIM in 110 GP as a Devil.  Smith's at 65 PIM in 63 GP and counting.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I've come to realize a lot of people here really hate Peter Harrold and I don't lol.

I wouldn't say that I hate him...he was just kinda there.  He played on that infamous 2014-15 team that saw Henrique lead the team in points with 43 (?!).  Poor Cory...