official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

On 2/26/2024 at 1:11 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As you know I live very close to that, about 2.5 miles away.

The Walgreens and the Thrift Shop (of course was also the food pantry) definitely did not make it.

Just Subs and JD Liquor are relatively intact, but hard to imagine that they'll be able to reopen anytime soon.  Hard to imagine that the entire building won't be condemned.

The poor owner of JD actually bought the whole building last February, for $6.18 million.  My wife knows someone who was on site, and the owner was there...he was every bit as distraught as you would imagine.  I feel horrible for him.

My wife is also friends with the thrift shop owner (my daughter even bought some items from there, as she enjoys thrifting).  So sad.  

Just Subs reopened on 3/2, and JD reopened a day or two before that.  Great to see them be able to do business again so quickly.  

• Like 2

If anyone is looking for an alternative to Devils hockey (you know - something that doesn’t completely suck) Shogun on FX is fvcking fantastic. 3 episodes so far and I can’t recommend it enough. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If anyone is looking for an alternative to Devils hockey (you know - something that doesn’t completely suck) Shogun on FX is fvcking fantastic. 3 episodes so far and I can’t recommend it enough. 

That’s next for me after Masters of the Air

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jagknife said:

That’s next for me after Masters of the Air

I want to see Master of Air, but I don’t have Apple TV. I love Band of Brothers and The Pacific. 

• Like 1

Guys and gals,

I figured out why Lindy HATED Holtz…

… he saw Midsomar and thought it was a documentary of where Holtz grew up.

we should re-hire him and explain why it’s not the case.

you’re welcome.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/11/media/deadspin-sale-layoffs/index.html

Deadspin, the irreverent sports and news site best known for its commentary and analysis, laid off all of its staff on Monday after the outlet was sold to a startup firm.

Where is @MadDog2020 going to spend the other half of his days now

Damn that sucks. 

• Angry 1

Add Dawn Staley to the list of people who apparently look for things to be offended about:

Dawn Staley calls out CBS Sports after 'offensive' comments about Kamilla Cardoso (on3.com)

So during a CBS Sports Minute, a commentator known as "JR" spoke about how he's excited about the Women's NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Here's the quote that was just sooooooo offensive:

“I’m ready for Angel Reese, Caitlin Clark and the giant Brazilian woman from South Carolina that knocks people over,” he said of Kamilla Cardoso during the segment.

I'm sorry, what is SO terrible about the above?  The player in question is in fact Brazilian, giant (6' 7") and she did shove an opponent hard enough to draw an ejection in a previous game.  JR didn't say anything remotely derogatory about her gender, heritage, anything.  Put it this way:  if he had been talking about the NCAA Men's draw and had said "the giant Brazilian dude from South Carolina that knocks people over", is Staley uttering so much as a peep about any of this?  Highly fvcking doubtful.

I don't think he had anything to apologize for, and it's a joke that people feel the need to kowtow and capitulate just because some people who clearly are offended way too easily think that somehow they represent the gold standard for what should be "allowed".  Fortunately for him, JR is black, because I have little doubt that if he were white, someone (possibly Staley herself) would be trying to turn in this into a "cancel the racist" kind of thing.  Total bullsh!t.

Lighten up Dawn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Man, I hope Russia/Putin doesn’t get to a red level and decide to fly nukes through most of the world.

Everyone says Putin is crazy, so nukes would be an option for a crazy leader? Right?

You gotta hope he has some people working for him that wouldn't push the button like is rumored to have happened in the past in those moments.

I don't think he'd do it. He wants to be in power and he can't be in power of he's dead(along with the rest of us). He's been posturing for years now but he knows it's suicide.

Now... Iran and NK... Different story.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 7:24 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Add Dawn Staley to the list of people who apparently look for things to be offended about:

Dawn Staley calls out CBS Sports after 'offensive' comments about Kamilla Cardoso (on3.com)

So during a CBS Sports Minute, a commentator known as "JR" spoke about how he's excited about the Women's NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Here's the quote that was just sooooooo offensive:

“I’m ready for Angel Reese, Caitlin Clark and the giant Brazilian woman from South Carolina that knocks people over,” he said of Kamilla Cardoso during the segment.

I'm sorry, what is SO terrible about the above?  The player in question is in fact Brazilian, giant (6' 7") and she did shove an opponent hard enough to draw an ejection in a previous game.  JR didn't say anything remotely derogatory about her gender, heritage, anything.  Put it this way:  if he had been talking about the NCAA Men's draw and had said "the giant Brazilian dude from South Carolina that knocks people over", is Staley uttering so much as a peep about any of this?  Highly fvcking doubtful.

I don't think he had anything to apologize for, and it's a joke that people feel the need to kowtow and capitulate just because some people who clearly are offended way too easily think that somehow they represent the gold standard for what should be "allowed".  Fortunately for him, JR is black, because I have little doubt that if he were white, someone (possibly Staley herself) would be trying to turn in this into a "cancel the racist" kind of thing.  Total bullsh!t.

Lighten up Dawn.

Agreed.  If he’d made an incorrect assumption about her background or said something derogatory about Brazilians in general, I could understand the outrage, but everything he said was accurate, and his remarks were clearly well-intentioned.  Right now, women’s college basketball is more interesting than men’s college basketball, and the women in question are a big reason why.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Agreed.  If he’d made an incorrect assumption about her background or said something derogatory about Brazilians in general, I could understand the outrage, but everything he said was accurate, and his remarks were clearly well-intentioned.  Right now, women’s college basketball is more interesting than men’s college basketball, and the women in question are a big reason why.

He spoke of her in the same light that he would speak about a male basketball player.  That is equality.  No one got offended when Giannis was referred to as the Greek Freak.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Puckbuster said:

He spoke of her in the same light that he would speak about a male basketball player.  That is equality.  No one got offended when Giannis was referred to as the Greek Freak.  

Nor should they have.  I believe in political correctness, but I also think that people need to learn to mind their own damn business.  If the player at whom the comments were directed wasn’t offended, no one else should be, nor should anyone—Dawn Staley or otherwise—be telling people how they’re supposed to feel.  Let them read about what happened and decide for themselves.

• Like 1

Ugh absolutely awful...

Different video for the camera angle not the opinion, obviously we have no idea if it was intentional or not but you can see the ships lights go on and off so maybe they were having electrical problems, I have absolutely no idea but if this was intentional you would think they would do it during a busy rush hour, my guess is the cargo ship will be discovered to be poorly maintained... 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Anyone give Constellation on AppleTV a watch?

I was really enjoying it until the finale yesterday.  Major "Lost" vibes, super frustrated with how they left almost everything open-ended.

Didn't see Constellation, but you made me think of another recent series finale that left many fans disappointed.

Did you see Hightown?  It ran for three seasons (SPOILERS COMING).  The story takes place in Cape Cod, where a lesbian police officer named Jackie Quinones is investigating a murder in the initial season...over the course of the show, she struggles mightily with substance abuse, getting clean and then relapsing, and all too often as a cop wants to become a "savior", at hers and often other people's expense.  By the series finale, she has not only gotten clean for what feels like for good (it feels like she finally did it for the right reasons), but she clearly has chosen a side, and that side is, for lack of better words, is to be "good".

A fellow police offer (Ray Abruzzo) follows a much different path, becoming more and more incredibly corrupt, to the point where all of his actions have forced him completely to the dark side, and that was REALLY where the finale lay...the highly contrasting roads taken by Jackie and Ray (who were friends and well as colleagues) over the course of the show.  It's clearly that Jackie, by having "chosen a side", is going to take down Ray, which we won't get to see, and it's clear that Ray KNOWS that Jackie's absolutely going to do what it takes to take him down.  Jackie's growth and Ray's decline reached their zeniths was really what the finale was about, more than every last story line being wrapped up with a bow (which is what most fans wanted).

I don't necessarily need to see HOW Jackie takes down Ray in some fourth season; knowing that she's in a place where she CAN, and Ray knows that he's in a place that he won't be able to stop her is enough for me.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

52 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Anyone give Constellation on AppleTV a watch?

I was really enjoying it until the finale yesterday.  Major "Lost" vibes, super frustrated with how they left almost everything open-ended.

I haven't watched that one but I love Apple TV, I think they put out the current best overall series. 

Did you ever watch servant? I loved that one and thought they wrapped it up really well.