NHL Draft 2024

Chimaira_Devil_#9

I wasn't expecting to be interested in this draft until at least late May, so the fact I am having a good look in March just goes to show how awry this season has gone.

The Devils currently hold the 9th overall pick, which is a very decent pick.

Now I am not sure how much effort I am going to put into looking at the first round players, because I don't think the Devils keep this pick . It has to be our main asset in trying to address the goaltender situation.

But in the unlikely event we do keep it , it's worth seeing what's around.

Looking at the mock rankings the top 20 or so prospects are incredibly defense heavy. Which is clearly an area where we have depth. So to my mind that makes it even more likely we deal the pick.

Outside Macklin Celibrini at 1st overall there doesn't seem to be much consensus on the rest of the top 10.

Anyway looking at mock drafts the most common selections for the Devils have been Cole Eiserman , Sam Dickinson, Konsta Helenius and Zeeve Buium.

The first three are forwards and Buium is a LD.

Eiserman seems like the most logical fit on paper. He is a scoring LW playing for the USNTDP. He offensive skills are regularly compared to Cole Caufield. So given the previous fit between Jack and Caufiled, could this be a similar match.

What seems to be regularly flaged as a weakness for Eiserman is his skating, which for me is a red flag in the modern NHL.

In a way his profile sort of reads like Alex Holtz, great shot, not so great skating.

Haven't had a chance to look at the others yet. But will update this as I go.

• Like 6

I am not planning to get as invested this year as I normally do. Likelihood of trading the pick + inevitability of the Devils choosing a player other than who I was hoping for makes it frustrating. But I have definitely said that before.

As of now, it's looking highly likely that the Devils stay in top 10 range. Schedule isn't going to get an easier, and this group doesn't seem to be on track to starting a win streak any time soon.

If they keep the pick, I like Lindstrom as a possible fit. Tij Iginla seems like a good choice as well, but I'm not quite sure yet if he's someone to take in the top 10. But I will say that Iginla's stock seems to be rising, so that can certainly change by the summer.

If they do end up trading this pick, you really need to get a top goalie. A top 10 pick is a really good asset.

• Like 3

Everything I've read (which admittedly isn't very much) is stating that Celebrini is a legit #1 (better than Nico, on a Hughes level) but the rest of the first round, especially the top 10, is pretty meh.

Unless we win the lotto, we won't be getting a player that makes a significant impact on this roster for ~2 years.  Fitz absolutely needs to trade this pick, and I'm so convinced that he will that I'm not even going to bother looking up prospects in the 5-10 range.

I will be livid if we use this pick.

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

image.gif.1dbc9ba2ec4c3299efce7f055c0836b1.gif

Eh the way I look at it is that it makes it all the more valuable of an asset.

Who know,s if we keep sliding we could have an outside shot at Celebrini himself.

Hughes, Hischier and Celebrini down the middle. Who says no? LOL

15 hours ago, Nicomo said:

image.gif.1dbc9ba2ec4c3299efce7f055c0836b1.gif

We've had worse seasons when we've had no talent but this has to be the most disappointing season ever.   '96, '02 and whichever year was the MacLean/Lemaire season all sucked but I don't remember it being this bad.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

We've had worse seasons when we've had no talent but this has to be the most disappointing season ever.   '96, '02 and whichever year was the MacLean/Lemaire season all sucked but I don't remember it being this bad.  

‘96 was rough because in addition to coming off a Cup win, all the Devils had to do was beat the Senators AT HOME and they were in.  They even had a 2-1 lead in that game before losing 5-2.

Given the expectations, this season is a rotten one, but at least this team has been dead for weeks.  That ‘96 team led us on right through being up 2-1 in that final game.

re:  trading this year’s first-round pick, I’m obviously not opposed to it, but at the same time, Devils are absolutely going to need some cheap ELC players in the near future.  Something to keep in mind.

• Like 3

I'd love to see the NHL adopt exactly what the PWHL is doing with the "gold plan" to determine draft order. Just imagine how much more fun a game like last night's Sharks/Blackhawks game would be? 

Anyway... here's The Athletic's consensus big board, I only snipped the top 15 players. Full article here (pay wall): https://theathletic.com/5298573/2024/02/26/nhl-draft-2024-macklin-celebrini-defensemen/

image.thumb.png.d9d6e8cce43d21d5fc6acbfcd7400972.png

2 hours ago, nmigliore said:

I'd love to see the NHL adopt exactly what the PWHL is doing with the "gold plan" to determine draft order. Just imagine how much more fun a game like last night's Sharks/Blackhawks game would be? 

Anyway... here's The Athletic's consensus big board, I only snipped the top 15 players. Full article here (pay wall): https://theathletic.com/5298573/2024/02/26/nhl-draft-2024-macklin-celebrini-defensemen/

image.thumb.png.d9d6e8cce43d21d5fc6acbfcd7400972.png

You can never have enough dmen...  but they also are a crapshoot to develop plus extended development time.
Barring a 1OA lotto pick, I'd be OK trading it for the right goalie.

I've watched Celebrini play  a couple of games the last couple of weeks (BU played my old grad school Northeastern) he SHOULD be Consensus #1! My only quibble he is Jack and Nico sized.  So if the Devils strike gold 3 times do they take him?  I'm also not sure if the Devils should trade 1 OA for a goaltender.  if it happens please don't screw it up!

• Like 1

I did not think going into this season my first post on here would be about a lotto pick for the Devils, but  these are the games we play, so here we go.

Under zero circumstances should the Devils consider trading this top 10 pick for the goalies we know might be available.

Saros, is going to be 29, he is 2 years older than Corey was, he is also 4 inches shorter, I am not touching him for a 1st that is a top 10 pick. Now if the Devils were a playoff team and he also already had a contract, it would be a different situation, but combine those two important details and it's a firm, no on him.

Markstrom, LOL, are you serious????? Not a fn chance they trade a top 10 pick for him, Cal had their chance, their owner sh!t his pants and killed the deal, unless the price is not much, I am not touching his contract, and hell no for a top 10 pick.

The two young former 1st rd picks from Nahville and Florida.

The Russian is interesting, I don't think he is available, but if they chose Saros, he would make me think about it, while utilimately saying no, and offering a 2025 first instead.

The Florida USA kid is a firm no, his off ice troubles, combined with everything else, again I would be interested in taking him, not no chance for the cost.

Unless the Isles decide to rebuild, I see no other goalies I am even thinking of trading that pick for, now if there any other choices out there, I am listening.

Is Ottawa going to trade the GM's cousin, he I would trade that pick for, not many other players will be worth that pick unless teams implode and players are asking to be dealt.

The draft is complicated, a probable star going 1st, then a lot of really good defenseman available, plus some decent forwards.

I look forward to digging into the players, and seeing where out lotto luck plus the rest of the season ends up.

Be well all, and all is not lost, DH getting hurt, Marino and Siegs regressing and Jack's injury torpedoed this season, Luke and Simon are the goods, we need a proper non moron HC, and a GM who decides not to be asleep, and things are still looking very good here.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

‘96 was rough because in addition to coming off a Cup win, all the Devils had to do was beat the Senators AT HOME and they were in.  They even had a 2-1 lead in that game before losing 5-2.

Given the expectations, this season is a rotten one, but at least this team has been dead for weeks.  That ‘96 team led us on right through being up 2-1 in that final game.

re:  trading this year’s first-round pick, I’m obviously not opposed to it, but at the same time, Devils are absolutely going to need some cheap ELC players in the near future.  Something to keep in mind.

Tom Chorske with a dagger goal in that game as well. 

So painful

On 3/18/2024 at 10:41 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

Everything I've read (which admittedly isn't very much) is stating that Celebrini is a legit #1 (better than Nico, on a Hughes level) but the rest of the first round, especially the top 10, is pretty meh.

Unless we win the lotto, we won't be getting a player that makes a significant impact on this roster for ~2 years.  Fitz absolutely needs to trade this pick, and I'm so convinced that he will that I'm not even going to bother looking up prospects in the 5-10 range.

I will be livid if we use this pick.

"Livid"?  lol

No way a top 10OA should be traded, imo and Sundstrom's Ghost is correct

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vincois said:

I'm hoping they draft a player with some sandpaper. Grit isn't taught.  Either you have it growing up or you don't.

Isn't that what they say about Stillman?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

image.png

I made my annual sad trek over to tankathon and clicked sim.

Could you imagine the NHL fandom if that happened? lol

I want the #1 overall just to see the other 31 fanbases lose their collective sh!t 🤣

• Haha 3