Report: New Jersey Wants Winter Classic

thelastonealive

...should the Rags get in a Winer Classic, it'll come down to Washington & us. Entertaining the Islanders, is absurd.

Neither the Devils nor Islanders will be in a Classic against the Rangers. They are in the same markets, which would be bad for ratings. Devils best chance could be at Washington in a Ovie-Marty showdown deal. If the Devils get in, it would have to be before Marty retires.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad it's gonna be Rags - Caps if the Rags get it. They won't send the Caps twice.

The problem with having two teams here is it's the same market. Something NBC likely won't go for. However, I do think CitiField is a much better venue for this game than the new Yankee. And putting the Islanders in it would be good. Still, it's unlikely we'll even see any of the three locals in it next year. The West should get it again.

2008-Pens/Sabres at Ralph Wilson Stadium

2009-Red Wings/Blackhawks at Wrigley Field

2010-Flyers/Bruins at Fenway Park

2011-???

I have two ideas. One probably not happening.

A.Wild vs Avalanche

B.Canucks vs Flames (all Canadian)

The problem with having two teams here is it's the same market. Something NBC likely won't go for. However, I do think CitiField is a much better venue for this game than the new Yankee. And putting the Islanders in it would be good. Still, it's unlikely we'll even see any of the three locals in it next year. The West should get it again.

2011-???

A.Wild vs Avalanche

Minnesota and Colorado are probably 2 of the 3 most logical places for the Winter Classic to go to over the next few years so I doubt the NHL will use either of them as an away team. I would think they would want the young and exciting Kings to be an away team in the near future

2011-???

A.Wild vs Avalanche

I think they're entertaining 2 outdoor games, one of which in Ca. which will probably be broadcast on Rogers anyway & maybe Versus. I think it loses some interest when it's between teams in the same division. Another Oilers/Flames Devils/Rangers?? sounds kinda ho hum to me.

The flyer/b's game was boring as hell imo./ (they really haven't had a hardcore "rivalry" since the 70's) Although I don't think the Devs will be on next years winter game. I'd still love to see them there. OV vs marty!

How about a west v.s east game? Caps(home) v.s Kings(away)? Not a rivalry but you got Ovi in the next Classic but a West team stills gets one.

If the trend of one east then one west I would like to see...

2010 Minnesota v.s Kings

Kings have a young team with highly skilled players and the Wild deserve one with the amount of fans they bring in.

2011 Capitals v.s Devils

You get to see Ovechkin in one as fast as possible and maybe I just put the Devils in but them or the Rangers.

If the trend doesn't continue I would love Capitals v.s Kings.

How about a west v.s east game? Caps(home) v.s Kings(away)? Not a rivalry but you got Ovi in the next Classic but a West team stills gets one.

If the trend of one east then one west I would like to see...

2010 Minnesota v.s Kings

Kings have a young team with highly skilled players and the Wild deserve one with the amount of fans they bring in.

2011 Capitals v.s Devils

You get to see Ovechkin in one as fast as possible and maybe I just put the Devils in but them or the Rangers.

If the trend doesn't continue I would love Capitals v.s Kings.

D.C. and L.A. are too warm. I think both teams will be in the Classic soon, but they should be away teams. Kings Avs would be interesting, since they both have good young teams.

D.C. and L.A. are too warm. I think both teams will be in the Classic soon, but they should be away teams. Kings Avs would be interesting, since they both have good young teams.

It doesn't matter how warm it is, they played an outdoor preseason game in Vegas in I think the 90s, so they can make it work.

yeah, but they're not going to put an event called 'the winter classic' in LA.

Its not about the title its about the $$$.

It depends whether the point of this thing is to grow the game or not.

IF the LAK continue to do well there is a lot more $$$ here than anywhere short of NY.

This game could easily be done at the Collesium or Dodger Stadium/Edison Field.

The big wrench is the Rose Bowl and the Rose Parade on the same day - which is why a neutral site like Vegas would be perfect.

Its not about the title its about the $$$.

It depends whether the point of this thing is to grow the game or not.

IF the LAK continue to do well there is a lot more $$$ here than anywhere short of NY.

This game could easily be done at the Collesium or Dodger Stadium/Edison Field.

The big wrench is the Rose Bowl and the Rose Parade on the same day - which is why a neutral site like Vegas would be perfect.

Exactly, the Rose Parade & Rose Bowl are the issue plus you want to get the game in before the Rose Bowl starts meaning the game would start at 10:30 a.m. A Winter Classic at Dodger Stadium would be great but the timing of the game is problematic.

Like most of the northeast in DC it could be 50 degrees on New Years or it can be 20 degrees. 2 weeks ago the DC area got 30 inches of snow, the next weekend it was 50 degrees, this weekend its 25 and 40 mph winds. That's the crap shoot you take with an outdoor event. Back in 1982 the Giants played the Redskins in a snowstorm Christmas week in DC.

An idea that was brought-up was a Winter Classic on the Washington Mall. While absolutly fantastic geographically you'd be talking about over-the-top security issues. I also wonder how rink construction would fair in wide open conditions versus a Nationals Park where most of the field and rink ould be obscured by shadows during the winter.

How about this for an "outside the box" idea ... have the Winter Classic at Lake Placid. Sure, the whole point and appeal is that it's outdoors, but having a meaningful game one the same ice where the Americans upset the Soviets in 1980 is something that could sell. There aren't as many seats, but the majority of the Winter Classic $$$ comes from TV/advertising, no? Plus, the money saved by actually having it at a place that's meant for hockey versus the costs of setting up a sheet of ice on a baseball diamond should help offset revenue lost from no longer having the extra seats a larger outdoor venue offers.

And as much as it would make me puke, I'm sure a matchup like Rangers/Red Wings could conjure up images of U.S.A./Red Army.

Just an idea....

First of all I don't think it's "common knowledge" that the NHL dropped the Capitals for the Flyers due to national recognition. I think the Caps would draw better than the Flyers, especially this year. There must have been circumstances, possibly saving them for later, or possibly because of some problem the Capitals have. Second, I don't see why we couldn't be chosen with the Capitals, because we've been chosen for NBC games as well. Of course we've been snubbed, but only because of market-based scheduling, not because they don't "care" about other teams. The pull for a Caps/Devs game would be as good as any winter classic, depending on the venue.

And I don't really agree with your possible predictions, maybe because I legitimately don't think the NHL will go back on their claim that all teams will get chances at winter classics and there won't be initial repeat teams. They need to use the big-market teams to get the event turned into an annual tradition, then in 5ish years, they assume people will watch it out of tradition. I see no reason why the Devils can't be chosen this year or next year, as a home team or an away team. And the draw of Brodeur's final seasons and Lou's influence certainly don't hurt our chances.

I beg to disagree - it was widely reported here in DC that the NHL wanted the Caps in this year's Winter Classic. At a meeting with Caps STH's earlier this season Ted Leonsis as much as admitted that. NBC felt that the ratings would be better with the Flyers looking at the demographics of Philly vs DC, I guess. We were told they looked at ratings for other hockey games and NBC felt that it would get a better viewership with Philly.

I think as the WC gains a foothold (which it seems to be doing), the individual teams will become less of a concern since it'll become an event for all hockey fans. They'll at least be able to move into the "B" markets. I doubt we'll ever see Nashville vs. Phoenix...

If the winter classic comes to NJ or NY, I will bet the 2 teams will the Capitals and the Rangers. You really think the league wants to showcase the Devils in the winter classic? Thats the last thing Bettman would want to see.

If the winter classic comes to NJ or NY, I will bet the 2 teams will the Capitals and the Rangers. You really think the league wants to showcase the Devils in the winter classic? Thats the last thing Bettman would want to see.

Exactly. The only chance is if they want to showcase Brodeur and/or Parise.

If the NHL makes a Winter Classic in New Jersey WITHOUT the Devils, it will be pretty damn outrageous. It's like maing it in Buffalo without the Sabres. I've never even been to NJ and I would be totally pissed in that kind of a situation, I can't imagine how you guys would feel. But honestly, if it does come to the Giants stadium, I think the league will have to include the Devils (and if a player of the decade isn't good enough to market this sh!t, I don't know who is).

If the NHL makes a Winter Classic in New Jersey WITHOUT the Devils, it will be pretty damn outrageous. It's like maing it in Buffalo without the Sabres. I've never even been to NJ and I would be totally pissed in that kind of a situation, I can't imagine how you guys would feel. But honestly, if it does come to the Giants stadium, I think the league will have to include the Devils (and if a player of the decade isn't good enough to market this sh!t, I don't know who is).

I really doubt it goes to Giants Stadium. It's just too hard with the NFL schedule. I'm sure the NHL would rather use Yankee Stadium.