Best NJ Devil you Met

grcenter47

I have met and received autographs from Brodeur, Daneyko, Driver, Clarkson, Parise, Dowd, Chorske, Kasatonov, and Langenbrunner

I think the ones that impressed me the most were Driver and Daneyko as I met them at an autograph session together at a Hermanns sporting-good store. I was in middle school at the time and they actually challenged fans to a basketball hoops game they had in the store.

I have met and received autographs from Brodeur, Daneyko, Driver, Clarkson, Parise, Dowd, Chorske, Kasatonov, and Langenbrunner

I think the ones that impressed me the most were Driver and Daneyko as I met them at an autograph session together at a Hermanns sporting-good store. I was in middle school at the time and they actually challenged fans to a basketball hoops game they had in the store.

I'm not big on autographs and such, but I did happen to meet Martin Brodeur the summer after the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. He was someone's guest at White Beeches Country Club in Haworth, and I was a waiter there at the time. So long ago.

Too many to list since 1984, but just some coaches/players i've met that i enjoyed....Dave Lewis, Joe Cirella, Chico Resch, Kirk Muller, Claude Loiselle, Bruce Driver, Jim Schoenfeld, Larry Robinson, Troy Crowder, Brendan Shanahan, Ken Daneyko, Bernie Nicholls, Grant Marshall, Rob Skrlac, Jay Pandolfo.

List goes on of course, but those are some.

Edited by SJP20

Too many to list since 1984 but just some....Dave Lewis, Joe Cirella, Chico Resch, Kirk Muller, Claude Loiselle, Troy Crowder, Brendan Shanahan, Ken Daneyko, Bernie Nicholls, Grant Marshall, Rob Skrlac, Jay Pandolfo...list goes on.

Just out of curiosity...were all of these guys cool? Did you meet others who weren't (you don't have to name them)?

My list is pretty short, but I've talked to Chico multiple times and he's always been nice, talked to Merlin Malinowski on the phone and he was very friendly, met Fetisov once...he was very shy. Also met Richer and he came off as stand-offish, but who knows, might have been having a bad day...I try to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, instead of instantly calling them douches like some fans will.

Just out of curiosity...were all of these guys cool? Did you meet others who weren't (you don't have to name them)?

My list is pretty short, but I've talked to Chico multiple times and he's always been nice, talked to Merlin Malinowski on the phone and he was very friendly, met Fetisov once...he was very shy. Also met Richer and he came off as stand-offish, but who knows, might have been having a bad day...I try to give these guys the benefit of the doubt, instead of instantly calling them douches like some fans will.

One thing about this organization is that they have had very few guys come through here that were douches to the fans. That is something i do not think this organization gets enough credit for.

You're going to get some fans who have different experiences, of course, and that can lend to any number of things and circumstances. I'm not going on just asking for auto's, but just interaction at TC, practices, STH functions, etc. Some guys that stood out to me off the top of my head as generally moody or "catch them on the right day" was Richer, Sundstrom, Sean Burke (moody), Madden (rookie/2nd year...he had a incredibly big chip on his shoulder), Rafalski (would only personalize auto's his rookie year), Malakhov (just aloof).

Other players who were great: Claude Lemieux, Craig Wolanin, Mel Bridgman, Mark Johnson, Perry Anderson, Tom Chorske, Jim Dowd, Dave Maley, Mike Peluso, Kris Oliwa, Cam Janssen, Randy McKay, Brad Lukowich, Sergei Brylin,

As i said, there's alot more as i'm going off the top of my head at lunchtime lol. But as i said...this organization has had many players that were good to the fans over the years and it still continues on with the players on this roster today.

Not a player but I met Doc once. I didn't even realize it was him until he talked to me. We were in DC, riding the Metro from a Caps game and I had my Brodeur jersey in my lap. He leaned over and tapped it and said "He won it for you tonight didnt he?" and I laughed and said yeah. He was the nicest guy and we got to chat for a bit before he got off. It was really nice.

Not to go in the negative direction but I've always heard Elias isn't too great with fans.. Which is sad because he's my favorite player.. I've kind of avoided meeting him because I'm afraid the rumors will be true and it will end up crushing my view of him

Met Jeff Vanderbeek today, he wasnt very much in the talking mood because it was a Golf outing and I didnt want to bother him when he is supposed to be having a good time. He may think im a little " =p " because he asked me about my age 3 times and I just kept asking his thoughts on Arnott and etc lol

Skrlac and Marshall have always been amazingly cool guys, especially considering oftentimes people don't know who they are when they're doing community events instead of Devils-specific events.

Cam Janssen was always exactly as he appeared in the media, very funny and personable. You could see the love of playing hockey and all that comes with it.

When I was still working at the newspaper, I worked with Jimmy Dowd over the phone to organize our coverage of his annual charity high school all star game. Out of all the high school and college ADs, coaches, players, etc. that I had to deal with, he was absolutely one of the friendliest. The thing that stood out the most to me was his enthusiasm about doing charitable work. You could really tell that it meant a lot to him to be in a position to help others.

Oh, and one time at a Fan Club dinner Doug Bodger tried really hard not to laugh at me because my stupid ass forgot you have to wind a disposable camera.

While I like Parise as a player, I've met him in person twice at signings and didn't get a good vibe off of him. After the signings, I was not the only one there who was saying that. He was not mean or rude or anything, he just didn't seem like he was that much into it.

Greene is a really nice guy too, just a little shy as well as Zajac.

I've rarely met any Devils who have been d!cks but I have heard that Elias is a bit of a downer to meet as well as other names mentioned here who are known to be less than friendly.

I went to the Devils Lunch last week and I met Lou and Johnny Mac!!! They were both great and classy guys.

My boy Greg and I were standing right outside the Verizon tower watching the press conference as Johnny Mac was introduced as the new head coach. As soon as the conference ended Lou signaled one of his security guards to let us in! As we walked over to the catered food table Lou yelled from across the room "Have some cookies and soda enjoy guys."(I was waiting for kool aid but I didn't see any) So as I loaded up on some Mrs. Fields cookies Lou came over to me and patted me on the back! He said I hope you guys are as excited as me and at that point I was more then happy.

About five minutes later Johnny Mac had seen that Lou was striking up a convo with us so he decided why not me too. He introduced himself and we shook hands. He joked and said why weren't you guys in school. We explained that school for us had let out a week ago and we were here for the Devils Luncheon and the press conference happened to be going on. He talked about how his kids were finishing school like us and that day was there last day of school. He also wanted to know what we decided for our college plans.

Not to go in the negative direction but I've always heard Elias isn't too great with fans.. Which is sad because he's my favorite player.. I've kind of avoided meeting him because I'm afraid the rumors will be true and it will end up crushing my view of him

In my opinion, Patrik is just shy and a little embarrassed by the attention, which some people, understandably, interpret as him having a bad attitude. He is actually a really nice guy.

While I like Parise as a player, I've met him in person twice at signings and didn't get a good vibe off of him. After the signings, I was not the only one there who was saying that. He was not mean or rude or anything, he just didn't seem like he was that much into it.

Greene is a really nice guy too, just a little shy as well as Zajac.

I've rarely met any Devils who have been d!cks but I have heard that Elias is a bit of a downer to meet as well as other names mentioned here who are known to be less than friendly.

That's too bad that you didn't have a good experience because Zach is one of the friendliest, most engaging people you will ever meet. I think he really appreciates fans and enjoys interacting with them for the most part.

Sometimes it is easy to have a bad experience with a player and automatically judge their general demeanor. I did that with Jordan Leopold when he was with Colorado and was less then friendly. I met him this past season when he came with Florida as well as with Pittsburgh and he could not have been nicer. It just goes to show you that they have good and bad days too. There is only one Devil that I have ever had a bad experience with and that was Stephane Richer. I only met him once and he was less than pleasant to a 12 year old kid. Since then he has been very public about his depression and suicidal thoughts while he was in NJ so obviously it seems kinda petty to hold a grudge from 15 years ago.

In my opinion, Patrik is just shy and a little embarrassed by the attention, which some people, understandably, interpret as him having a bad attitude. He is actually a really nice guy.

That's too bad that you didn't have a good experience because Zach is one of the friendliest, most engaging people you will ever meet. I think he really appreciates fans and enjoys interacting with them for the most part.

Sometimes it is easy to have a bad experience with a player and automatically judge their general demeanor. I did that with Jordan Leopold when he was with Colorado and was less then friendly. I met him this past season when he came with Florida as well as with Pittsburgh and he could not have been nicer. It just goes to show you that they have good and bad days too. There is only one Devil that I have ever had a bad experience with and that was Stephane Richer. I only met him once and he was less than pleasant to a 12 year old kid. Since then he has been very public about his depression and suicidal thoughts while he was in NJ so obviously it seems kinda petty to hold a grudge from 15 years ago.

Yeah I mean I think maybe he was just having bad days when I met him, because I heard at other times he was friendly too. Then again, who wouldn't have a bad day after meeting me? lol

i remember last year me and my friend bumped into PL3 behind the stadium and the dialogue went something like this:

PL3: "you guys got some balls"

me and my friend (confused): "what do you mean?"

PL3: "couple'a white kids walkin by themselves in Newark at night?"

and one time I met Rupp was after a game where he lost to Paul Mara

me: "hey mike what happened with Mara?"

mike: "yeah yeahhh i know"

me: "next time i guess"

mike: "ahhhh, next time i'll kick his ass"

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

In 2000, the Devils had a Gold Circle Meeting where you can skate with the team and get autographs. According to the devils management, they couldn't sign anything while on the ice, Jason Arnott didn't really care and began to sign peoples jerseys, including my own, he even said "Yeah I'm not suppose to do it, but whatever"

Toward the end of the on rink skate, i went over to Brodeur to get a picture, and at this time they had to come in to get ready for the meet and greet on the main concourse. He told them, hold on a few more kids want pictures, ill be there soon. And took a few more (including my own) were taken and then he left. It was cool he didnt want to go until everyone had a picture.

Yup, Patty is just shy. Especially when dealing with an autograph line. I think he still doesn't feel fully comfortable with his fame, specifically in America.

In 2000, the Devils had a Gold Circle Meeting where you can skate with the team and get autographs. According to the devils management, they couldn't sign anything while on the ice, Jason Arnott didn't really care and began to sign peoples jerseys, including my own, he even said "Yeah I'm not suppose to do it, but whatever"

Toward the end of the on rink skate, i went over to Brodeur to get a picture, and at this time they had to come in to get ready for the meet and greet on the main concourse. He told them, hold on a few more kids want pictures, ill be there soon. And took a few more (including my own) were taken and then he left. It was cool he didnt want to go until everyone had a picture.

I know Brodeur goes to his kids games and signs for people. My cousin and my friend's kid both have autpgraphed sticks - they say he will pretty much sign anyhting for kids and is friendly. Chico is always great and Clarkson and Salvador are very friendly and funny. I agree with Elias as I have met him serveral times and he just doens't seem comfortable - which is fine, I would probably be the same. I met Daneyko a couple of times - once with his son - and he was always great.

I would say the worst was Zubrus but other than that all the Devils are very friendly.

Edited by rpaq88

Too many to list since 1984, but just some coaches/players i've met that i enjoyed....Dave Lewis, Joe Cirella, Chico Resch, Kirk Muller, Claude Loiselle, Bruce Driver, Jim Schoenfeld, Larry Robinson, Troy Crowder, Brendan Shanahan, Ken Daneyko, Bernie Nicholls, Grant Marshall, Rob Skrlac, Jay Pandolfo.

List goes on of course, but those are some.

Shanny, and Daneyko were awesome! Salvador, Greene, Clarkson, just about everyone seems to be really good guys. Bergie even signed my Dad's jersey during the meet and greet, just before he got traded. Not a Devils jersey but a Swedish jersey :)

Edited by Dead

For me, it would have to be Doc. Saw him on the elevator at random Capitals game and, seeing us in Devils jerseys, made a point of turning around and chatting with us for the ride. Just the fact he went out of his way to speak to us, after I had decided, nah, I'm not going to bother him, speaks volumes.

Met Paul Martin during Hockey Night in Hoboken:

Very humble, quiet, but very good natured.

He turned red when I told him about Hockey pundits on HNIC calling him the most underrated Defenemen in the NHL.

Edited by MantaRay