Devils resign Kyle Palmieri to a five-year contract

devilzibook

Great deal.  He's not greedy, and knows he has to continue proving himself.  I think the deal is fair considering the numbers he put up last year, but it was really just one season.  We'll see how he continues to do the next few years and if he lives up to this contract -- hopefully far exceeding it.

40 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Great deal.  He's not greedy, and knows he has to continue proving himself.  I think the deal is fair considering the numbers he put up last year, but it was really just one season.  We'll see how he continues to do the next few years and if he lives up to this contract -- hopefully far exceeding it.

Yep last year was by far his best season but his playing time and usage played a big part in that- he got 3rd line minutes (at best) in Anaheim and here he'll essentially be playing on our top line.

Having a Hall-Henrique-Palmieri line set up for the next 4 years looks real nice. I know Hall may be considered the only true "top line" player of the three, but take their contracts into account and it should give us flexibility to really build depth into the forward corps.

Sure it's be nice to have the quality of toews, kane, kopitar, etc on the top line, but having cap hits of 10 mil for 6 or 7 years can really limit what your able to do elsewhere on the roster.

16 minutes ago, Marshall said:

I think it's a good, fair deal. See a lot of people (twitter mostly) painting it as a homerun and I don't know if I see that at all. 

I think it's at least a double relative to what Palmieri could've got.  How often are 25-30 goal scorers given a contract like this?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

No, his career has been pretty unusual.

How has his career been unusual?  Ignoring the first two years where he played just 5 games, the next four years (3 with ANA, 1 with us) he scored 10, 14, 14 and 30 goals.  Pretty steady increase, which I'd say is very normal, for a player his age (and hopefully his caliber).

50 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

How has his career been unusual?  Ignoring the first two years where he played just 5 games, the next four years (3 with ANA, 1 with us) he scored 10, 14, 14 and 30 goals.  Pretty steady increase, which I'd say is very normal, for a player his age (and hopefully his caliber).

I have done any research or checked any numbers on this, but my feeling is that guys don't generally get their shot at first line minutes when they're 25 and on their 6th season (IIRC he'd been UFA after next season if he'd signed a 1 year deal). Sure, 10-14-14-30 is a sensible progression but for guys of this calibre it's usually from age 19-23 rather than 21-25. Two years seems like nothing but it's two important years. 

If you want to, you can say he was slow cooked by Anaheim, who obviously had guys in place that were better options. Rate stats painted a favorable picture but that doesn't always pan out. 

My whole point is guys don't generally get their shot nor prove themselves as first liners at 25 - it happens earlier.

i'm very happy with this deal. 5 years is locked up but not into the 30's, the AAV is low enough, very nice. And its not obscenely high so if he doesn't meet last years' numbers again, well you didn't overpay him too badly.

35 minutes ago, Marshall said:

My whole point is guys don't generally get their shot nor prove themselves as first liners at 25 - it happens earlier.

I agree with this, BUT, we didn't have any first liners. I don't think he would have scored 30 on another team with other offensive options.