Weird sh!t you've seen as a Devils fan

roomtemp

Zubrus scoring 4 goals against the Lightning. 

Madden and McKay scoring four goals each in a game against the Penguins.

Another oldie but goodie from CAA days:

Sitting in Section 201 and watching a puck clang off the crossbar sail over my head and strike in the middle of the "0" in the 201 sign. The puck was still rising!!

This was before the safety mesh but I think it still might have cleared the mesh if it had been there.B)

Edited by Rock
spelling
  • Like 1

Last season this young Caps fan who was maybe 15 was legitimately bullying this older guy who was probably in his mid 50's and had attended the game alone. After three periods of harassing this poor guy who had kept silent he had enough and just delivered a haymaker to shut the kid up. His friends didn't come to his aid and they went on crying to security. 

• Like 3

I'd say the Kovalchuk retirement fiasco would rank up there for me.

I still remember it - I was sitting there at work, and I get a notification from TheScore that "Ilya Kovalchuk retires from NHL" and I was like.. gotta be a mistake, we just signed him for 15 God damn years.

The fallout from that on here, HFboards, reddit.. it was just madness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rock said:

Another oldie but goodie from CAA days:

Sitting in Section 201 and watching a puck clang off the crossbar sail over my head and strike in the middle of the "0" in the 201 sign. The puck was still rising!!

This was before the safety mesh but I think it still might have cleared the mesh if it had been there.B)

I think that may have been Steve Thomas shooting it. I remember him hitting the section number of the upper deck with no arc; I thought it was deflected off a stick but that might be my faulty memory. 

I'd say the Kovalchuk retirement fiasco would rank up there for me.
I still remember it - I was sitting there at work, and I get a notification from TheScore that "Ilya Kovalchuk retires from NHL" and I was like.. gotta be a mistake, we just signed him for 15 God damn years.
The fallout from that on here, HFboards, reddit.. it was just madness.

I was playing golf. Had just hit a shot and got back in the cart when I saw I had a text from my mom that just said 'Kovalchuk retired. He's going back to Russia'. I just about fell the fvck over. Spent the rest of the round furiously checking my phone between shots to get any info I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lights going out in a near brand new building in the middle of a game and delaying it for two hours before it got postponed for two days :P

(Thankfully I sold my tickets to that game beforehand so I wasn't stuck there during that fiasco)

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

The lights going out in a near brand new building in the middle of a game and delaying it for two hours before it got postponed for two days [emoji14]

(Thankfully I sold my tickets to that game beforehand so I wasn't stuck there during that fiasco)

Yeah I remember that game, it was against Tampa I think... What year though? I think it was 2011 right? They ended up finishing the game two or three days later lol.

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was playing golf. Had just hit a shot and got back in the cart when I saw I had a text from my mom that just said 'Kovalchuk retired. He's going back to Russia'. I just about fell the fvck over. Spent the rest of the round furiously checking my phone between shots to get any info I could.

I was about to walk into a meeting I didn't want to be at when I saw TG tweet it, followed by "This is real."

I left said meeting immediately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I remember that game, it was against Tampa I think... What year though? I think it was 2011 right? They ended up finishing the game two or three days later lol.

I think 2010/11ish, yeah. They wound up playing three times in three days that weekend. Game was a Friday, we were down like 3-0? They went to LI or Philly or something, then finished the Lightning game on Sunday. Lost the game despite outscoring them on Sunday.

• Like 1

I'd seen several ties and losses, but couldn't get that elusive Devils win in person. In 1996 or 97, Devils are playing Tampa. Down 3-1 going into the 3rd, they replace Marty with Dunham and score 5 straight. Either Rolston or Maclean had a hat trick. So I guess the weird thing was somehow seeing a Dunham win before a Marty one despite going to 5 or 6 Marty starts. 

1) around 1996-99 time period a drunk fan doing a handstand on the glass railing at the bottom of the upper deck at CAA.  He fell the wrong way and landed on someone on the lower deck and had to be stretchered out.

2) Very early 2000's my dad and I were sitting in our seats (sec 101, row 17, seats 7&8) and a woman a row ahead of us about 4-5 seats over got hit in the face with a puck.  Blood was everywhere and later learned she lost an eye.