John Hynes of Pens AHL team expected to be Next coach.

RunninWithTheDevil

Im not overly concerned who the coach is next year, its a run-out year where we dump our vets. all assets should be focused on the draft and free agency. lou needs to assemble a top line, period...and we only have one part time player who possibly fits that now , in cammy. I see more of the same next year

btw, people rip on oates in one sentence and then in another say we have the worst forwards corp in the league. granted he's not exactly making chicken salad with our........players.

I also hope ownership isn't mandating a win now season to lou, that would be foolish

Im not overly concerned who the coach is next year, its a run-out year where we dump our vets. all assets should be focused on the draft and free agency. lou needs to assemble a top line, period...and we only have one part time player who possibly fits that now , in cammy. I see more of the same next year

btw, people rip on oates in one sentence and then in another say we have the worst forwards corp in the league. granted he's not exactly making chicken salad with our........players.

I also hope ownership isn't mandating a win now season to lou, that would be foolish

The last half of this season, Oates took a can of BB tuna, 2 pieces of stale bread, and turned it into a chicken salad sandwhich that could pass as edible at Panera, still not sure i want him as HC though.

The last half of this season, Oates took a can of BB tuna, 2 pieces of stale bread, and turned it into a chicken salad sandwhich that could pass as edible at Panera, still not sure i want him as HC though.

I disagree with you. While our record improved, watching the team actually play was horrible and while I'm no advanced stats guru, the eye test and every advanced stats type person were both telling me we were being outplayed most nights and getting by on great goaltending.

I disagree with you. While our record improved, watching the team actually play was horrible and while I'm no advanced stats guru, the eye test and every advanced stats type person were both telling me we were being outplayed most nights and getting by on great goaltending.

fully agree here. the three headed coaching staff improved very little if anything. They gave Adam a bigger chance, great. Otherwise they were a hot mess sans Cory and a favorable schedule.

Right, who'd wanna come here? Such a mess. No hope whatsoever. [emoji57]Look, Oates isn't gonna be the head coach. If Lou wanted to name Oates, he would've done it by now. I don't know why that is so hard for people to comprehend. He stood on the bench with Oates for four months. He'd be the coach by now if Lou wanted him to be.

I know it'll be a challenge here (NJ) . but, Philly won't be a bed of roses, Toronto is the worst place to end up. teams w/out coaches usually aren't a stacked successful team.

Those teams aren't looking for a coach. 

This is going to be a rough year again for us Devil fans. I'll bet lou is scared to give it to Stevens because what happens if he has similar success as Maclean? One of the top 3 players in franchise gets sh>tcanned 1/2 way through 15/16 season. How embarrassing  would that be? 

We'll agree to disagree here, 100%. if Lou was interested in Oates, he wouldn't name him yet out of respect to his co-coach Stevens, his respect for potential candidates out there, and also because he properly needs some time to evaluate how the season went. I'm not sure why that is so hard for you to understand...I mean when does Lou ever rush into anything.

To announce Oates as head coach already, he'd have to negotiated a contract with him during the end of the season, he would have worked out a solution with Stevens (someone he has the utmost respect for). Don't you think that's a distraction for the staff? Doesn't that create a discomfort level/awkwardness for both Oates and Stevens who have to work in tandem in an already weird coaching set up? It just makes little sense.

This is my thinking as well at this point. It's going to take a couple of With to make this a cup contending team. With the Cap coming down because the Canadian TV contract was less dollars because the value of the dollar in Canada is dropping that mean Lou need to make trades with teams in cap trouble but he doesn't have much to trade. So Oates is less risk. Edited by BostonNala370

They can have him.  That's insane money for a coach.

For an NHL coach, yes, but not for one in the NBA or NFL. No reason MLSE shouldn't look to give him big time money even if it fvcks with the current salary range of NHL coaches. No cap on coaches...go for it.

Having said all that, if you are giving him that much money, he would probably have final say on personnel, no? Otherwise, it's a tad excessive. 

They can have him. That's insane money for a coach.

No salary cap on coaches, and it ain't my money so I wouldn't care. If Harris wanted to up that offer tomorrow I say go for it. He won't, but just illustrating the point that Babcock's likely excessive salary shouldn't matter to anyone but the people signing his checks.

No salary cap on coaches, and it ain't my money so I wouldn't care. If Harris wanted to up that offer tomorrow I say go for it. He won't, but just illustrating the point that Babcock's likely excessive salary shouldn't matter to anyone but the people signing his checks.

I guarantee it matters to other teams around the NHL.  The problem is that his contract now sets the benchmark for what top coaches will be paid.  It potentially puts the teams that don't print money in a position where it makes it difficult for them financially and, in some cases, will have an effect on their overall hockey operations budget. 

I personally don't think he's that good that he would warrant such a salary.  If you want to give him the GM title as well where he is making all of the personnel decisions, then maybe.  But that's my opinion.

I guarantee it matters to other teams around the NHL.  The problem is that his contract now sets the benchmark for what top coaches will be paid.  It potentially puts the teams that don't print money in a position where it makes it difficult for them financially and, in some cases, will have an effect on their overall hockey operations budget. 

I personally don't think he's that good that he would warrant such a salary.  If you want to give him the GM title as well where he is making all of the personnel decisions, then maybe.  But that's my opinion.

Coaches are very rarely in a position where they can court offers from other teams.  Sure, Babcock is.  But in order to shop yourself around as a coach, there have to be lots of other vacancies league-wide.  That's just not always going to be the case.  For the most part, teams are satisfied with 'their guy'.  I don't think it's an issue.

I'm hoping for a coach that is a little more "tolerant' of young players, instead of insisting he can only trust vets in most situations. Lemaire was pretty good that way.

Not sure how Hitch would be.  

If he's lasted three years it more than likely means he's been successful in some respect. I'd be on board with that.

I honestly think unless there is some pressing circumstance, like johnny mac getting next to nothing from a pretty good group, a coach needs at least two or three years. A carousel of coaches isn't going to do anything for a team like the Devils except stagnate their growth. Right now we have no identity, no system, no real core. A coach needs a few years to build something here.

We're in a situation the Devils organization hasn't been in in a generation; we're going to expect something short of a Stanley cup from the next coach. If you told me today the next Devils coach didn't win the Stanley cup here, I'd say well yea, but what did he get accomplished. Did he cultivate an identity? Did he develop the young guys the right way? Are we heading in the right direction? If you told us deboer or any other new hire coach in the last 20 years wasn't going to win a cup here when they were hired, we'd ask what the hell went wrong

http://www.tsn.ca/babcock-permitted-to-talk-to-other-nhl-teams-1.278148

Babcock permitted to talk to other NHL teams.

There are six coaching vacancies in the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers, Buffalo Sabres, Toronto Maple Leafs, Philadelphia Flyers, New Jersey Devils and San Jose Sharks looking to hire for next season.

Does NJ have a shot?