Kovy out 2-4 weeks-Now on IR-

ghdi

Plenty of room for guys like Zajac, Henrique,  Clarkson and eventually Poni to pick up their games and make up for the loss of Kovy at least temporarily. 

I also think it's important that we learn to run the PP without Kovy.  It's insane to be that dependant on one player and hopefully that will give the coaches the confidence to have a 2nd units without him when he comes back so they don't run Ilya into the ground in games where there's a ton of penaties called.

That being said, it doesn't seem like we'll ever have all of our forwards healthy at the same time.  Hopefully Lou has one more Lokti/Poni/D'Ags type trade in him.  We still have the extra D'man to dangle.     

Edited by Lateralous

edit:  max, Buffalo is atrocious.  I have no clue how they are winning games.  The Rangers are real good, though.  Philadelphia is the best of a bad lot behind us though.

Are you figuring on paper or based off of the on-ice play? The Rangers, while they beat us in the last game (IMO mainly due to Lundquist playing lights out), haven't really looked all that impressive in the games I've seen them play. Yes, they've got great star players, but overall, I don't think their style of play really uses them to the advantage. Philadelphia is also a very good team on paper and I actually really like their system, but their goaltending has been so hit or miss that I don't think they can confidently play it properly. I haven't seen much of Buffalo, but on paper they've got a very decent team if they put things together.

The Rangers shouldn't be where they are.   I can't stand their system, but I think a bit of their luck from last year is coming back to bite them.   And now they're stuck with games in hand which means they're getting put through the wringer.    They really could end up missing, especially since their coach is a loon and could lose the room.   And Dolan doesn't care enough about hockey to put the fire out if it happens

Are you figuring on paper or based off of the on-ice play? The Rangers, while they beat us in the last game (IMO mainly due to Lundquist playing lights out), haven't really looked all that impressive in the games I've seen them play. Yes, they've got great star players, but overall, I don't think their style of play really uses them to the advantage. Philadelphia is also a very good team on paper and I actually really like their system, but their goaltending has been so hit or miss that I don't think they can confidently play it properly. I haven't seen much of Buffalo, but on paper they've got a very decent team if they put things together.

Can't it be both?  I don't love the Rangers team but they have a solid goalie and are playing above the 50% mark territorially.  When I watch Buffalo I think they are awful and they're at 44% of the shots at even strength, and it seems to be, if anything, getting worse.  (They got totally smoked in their win over Montreal)  Philadelphia is right around 50%, and while I don't think Bryzgalov is particularly great, they seem like the best team 'on paper' behind us and the Rangers.

3 games against not great opponents coming up, I think if NJ can get 5 of 6 here they're in the playoffs.  2 or less of 6 and it's going to be trouble.

The Rangers shouldn't be where they are.   I can't stand their system, but I think a bit of their luck from last year is coming back to bite them.   And now they're stuck with games in hand which means they're getting put through the wringer.    They really could end up missing, especially since their coach is a loon and could lose the room.   And Dolan doesn't care enough about hockey to put the fire out if it happens

Injuries down the stretch to them would really hurt - they have zero depth and even less that they got rid of Halpern.  I still think they're a favorite to make it but a few bounces the wrong way would send them out of it.

Can't it be both?  I don't love the Rangers team but they have a solid goalie and are playing above the 50% mark territorially.  When I watch Buffalo I think they are awful and they're at 44% of the shots at even strength, and it seems to be, if anything, getting worse.  (They got totally smoked in their win over Montreal)  Philadelphia is right around 50%, and while I don't think Bryzgalov is particularly great, they seem like the best team 'on paper' behind us and the Rangers.

3 games against not great opponents coming up, I think if NJ can get 5 of 6 here they're in the playoffs.  2 or less of 6 and it's going to be trouble.

Injuries down the stretch to them would really hurt - they have zero depth and even less that they got rid of Halpern.  I still think they're a favorite to make it but a few bounces the wrong way would send them out of it.

All reasonable points Tri.  Devils need to really clean up points wise here the next three or four games, especially with how tough that last week of the season may be.  Ideally though I think you would agree, the Devils probably need to get to that 6 seed again. 

On the PP, I'd like to see them use Zajac on the 1st PP point - so the PP units would be something like -

Henrique-Elias-Clarkson-Zajac-Zidlicky

Loktionov-D'Agostini-Bernier-Greene-Harrold

I'll be curious how this PP fares - we'll get a real sense of how much Kovalchuk adds to the power play.

On the PP, I'd like to see them use Zajac on the 1st PP point - so the PP units would be something like -

Henrique-Elias-Clarkson-Zajac-Zidlicky

Loktionov-D'Agostini-Bernier-Greene-Harrold

I'll be curious how this PP fares - we'll get a real sense of how much Kovalchuk adds to the power play.

It's possible it looks better if they get some practice time. Yesterday was not a good start obviously, but I think this is something that can be beneficial. 

It's possible it looks better if they get some practice time. Yesterday was not a good start obviously, but I think this is something that can be beneficial. 

Yes, but this team has a tendency to lose a big player, make adjustments, start doing well, get the player back and then go right back to what they were doing before they lost the player whether for the better or worse.

NOt for nothing, but I'd like to see a different approach with the powerplay without kovy. being at 19 in the league.  

I hope Debo puts that shutdown line of Ponikarovsky Zubrus Bernier together when they come back. We should be fine with this lineup.

Elias Zajac Clarkson/D'agostini

Henrique Loktionov D'agostini/Clarkson

Ponikarovsky Zubrus Bernier

Carter Gionta Kostopolous

...I actually really like those lines.

Edited by Zubie#8

Lou also said Marty was day to day.......Marty was out a month.

So lets do the math ..... 1 day equals 30 days.

Average 2-4 weeks to 3 weeks or 21 days

21 days times 30 equals 630

Kovy will be back for the 2015-16 season.

Tedenby was day to day in February with the face cut according to Lou he is just coming back a month later.

Lou lies to fans and league he thinks it strategic. 

• Like 1