Friedman: Devils Could Take Run At MSL

TheMazz

If we somehow end up with Marner in the draft which I think is more likely than some think (AZ - Strome, TO -Hanifin, CAR - Provorov?), it wouldn't be a bad idea to have MSL around to tutor him, even if it's just the pre-season and a 9 game stint before being sent back to London. I know Tyler Johnson gives MSL a lot of credit for his development and putting Jagr with the young guys in Florida seemed to do wonders for their games at the end of the season.     

Also, as brutal as he just was in the playoffs, MSL did just have a 50 point season.   Jagr looked pretty washed up too after the run with Boston.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

For all this talk about us needing to get younger this is who we target? Stupid move if it comes to fruition and not because he's a Ranger or whether he'll help us make the PO or not

Here's the problem with this "He's old" arguments. How do you expect to get younger immediately? Spending years on late 20s/early 30s UFAs who will be washed up by the time we are contending? We're losing 4 forwards to UFA and Clowe to LTIR. Maybe Gomez comes back, so lets say 4 open spots. Matteau is the only one worth guaranteeing a spot to right now. Boucher Id rank just behind him. That's still 2 forward spots that need to be filled. Maybe our draft pick is a stud who can play immediately. Otherwise, short term deals are the best way to augment the team. 

We're almost certainly not making the playoffs in 2016. It's not giving up. It's being realistic with what we currently have, whats available, and even in the best scenarios what we could trade for. We're 3-4 pieces away from being a playoff team and guys like Larsson, Severson, Gelinas, and Merrill will all likely see significant playtime next season are still developing. Its not out of the question we have a decent year, but its far more likely we're back in the lottery this time next year.

Im perfectly fine with St. Louis on a very short term (1-2) deal. I think he goes to a team closer to winning, but if we're his last resort so be it. He can produce in the regular season and guys like Boucher and Matteau could benefit from a guy like him.

Edited by ghdi

If they take s run at him, I'm pretty sure they'd catch him.

That being said, his goal total this year would have been good enough for second on our team. I'd not be opposed if the price is right AND they are too stupid to pursue real young talent.

I want no part of him. For starters, I saw what he did in Tampa and even though he's a few years past that now and he isn't in a situation to screw us over like he did them, I don't like his attitude and personality, and beyond that, he's also too old and probably wouldn't bring much to the table. No, I don't want to see more of Tim Sestito, but there are other guys I'd rather see besides a well-past-his-prime douchebag like St. Louis.

MSL asking to be traded was one of the best things that ever happened to Tampa. Two first round picks and Callahan.

If we could get even close to that return should we do a sign and trade at the deadline type deal, the guy could run his mouth about how NJ is the worst place in the world and take a crap on Shero's desk for all I care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MSL asking to be traded was one of the best things that ever happened to Tampa. Two first round picks and Callahan.

If we could get even close to that return should we do a sign and trade at the deadline type deal, the guy could run his mouth about how NJ is the worst place in the world and take a crap on Shero's desk for all I care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh for sure, I agree.  And I'm not one to overuse the word 'rape' when describing a terrible scenario, BUT...Yzerman absolutely raped their GM/team in that deal.  It was incredibly one-sided and very awesome for TB.  

I hated Yzerman for a while, especially for some of the stuff involving re-acquiring Carle, but that move and a few others he's made were pure gold.  He's turned into quite a competent GM in a fairly short amount of time.  

On a 1-year deal there's nothing wrong with signing Marty St. Louis, as others have said he could probably give us some decent production and help mentor some of the younger kids, and he can always be dealt at the deadline for draft picks (which, you need those to get younger, fyi). It would be a problem if he logjams us from bringing up younger players, but like others have said, we have about 4 spots open at forward right now, one can go to MSL and we still have 3 spots open for youth.

Hell, bring in Richards too and set up shop with them on a line.

NYR tried that, it doesn't help. lol One thing that I've noticed that no one else mentioned was adding another small player.  We already have Cammalleri who isn't going to slow down anyone or impose himself on anyone with his size.  St. Louis compared to Cammalleri, I think we have the better player at this point in both of their careers.  

So you are giving up on next season already??

It's really not realistic to expect the playoffs next year. It's going to take some time to get some forwards together plus the D is still pretty young. I mean, if Cory plays out of his mind and some magic happens at forward, maybe. But I'm not expecting playoffs just yet.

It's pretty crazy that some people are against St. Louis coming here. I don't think he'd personally want to come here over the Rangers/Isles/Philly/Boston/Pitt/Montreal anywhere else that isn't miles away from wherever his family is.

But is it him being a Ranger talking? St. Louis was better than any winger the Devils had this year. It's possible he'd be one of the Devils best wingers next season. 

The Devils need to bring in players, and you want to avoid giving any older UFA multiple years. St. Louis is the perfect player, but again, no way he wants to finish his career here. A lot of better teams will be calling interested in his services.

It's pretty crazy that some people are against St. Louis coming here. I don't think he'd personally want to come here over the Rangers/Isles/Philly/Boston/Pitt/Montreal anywhere else that isn't miles away from wherever his family is.

But is it him being a Ranger talking? St. Louis was better than any winger the Devils had this year. It's possible he'd be one of the Devils best wingers next season. 

The Devils need to bring in players, and you want to avoid giving any older UFA multiple years. St. Louis is the perfect player, but again, no way he wants to finish his career here. A lot of better teams will be calling interested in his services.

He lives in Connecticut.  Basically the only 3 teams he could play for where he wouldn't have to maintain an apartment would be NJ/NYR/NYI.  

He wouldn't finish his career here unless it was a disaster or NJ somehow is good next year.  NJ can offer him staying at home for 6 months and a significantly bigger payday than anywhere else.  It's a deal that would make some sense for him, especially if the NYR say no.

Shouldn't we be trying to get younger?? We already have enough old players who barely produce.

Marty St. Louis this past season would've LED this team in scoring by 9 points. That's how much this team "barely produces".

No one is arguing we shouldnt be getting younger. The problem is its not a magic elixir where its going to happen in one fell swoop. We don't have enough NHL ready prospects that even deserve a shot yet and the cost to sign the younger UFAs outweighs the contracts we'd have to give to get a player like Matt "David Clarkson 2.0" Beleskey. 

We're not going to be able to automatically insert draft picks into the 5 holes (4 UFA + Clowe) into the forward corps we have right now. There will be UFAs signed. Would you rather waste cap/years on a guy you hate in 2-3 years and want gone, or 1-2 on a veteran who can still produce in the regular season and has a work ethic that can brush off on the young guys we do have.

Edited by ghdi
  • Like 1

Marty St. Louis this past season would've LED this team in scoring by 9 points. That's how much this team "barely produces".

No one is arguing we shouldnt be getting younger. The problem is its not a magic elixir where its going to happen in one fell swoop. We don't have enough NHL ready prospects that even deserve a shot yet and the cost to sign the younger UFAs outweighs the contracts we'd have to give to get a player like Matt "David Clarkson 2.0" Beleskey. 

We're not going to be able to automatically insert draft picks into the 5 holes (4 UFA + Clowe) into the forward corps we have right now. There will be UFAs signed. Would you rather waste cap/years on a guy you hate in 2-3 years and want gone, or 1-2 on a veteran who can still produce in the regular season and has a work ethic that can brush off on the young guys we do have.

I love this post.  Let's see where fielding an actual NHL team rather than a bunch of AHL players goes and see what Shero does from there.  The same people that don't want MSL because he doesn't produce in the playoffs are the same people that think this team is 5 years away from competing.  They just like complaining.