The Goaltending Situation Moving Forward This Season

devilsrule33

Brodeur vs Hedberg  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How should the goaltending situation be solved in the second-half of the season

• Status Quo
    • Let Hedberg have a chance to run with it. His play has earned it
    • Let Marty have a chance to run with it. His career has earned it
    • Go with the hot hand.

Hopefully there's a lockout and Brodeur takes his ball and goes home. He's playing very well right now, but is there anyone here who trusts him in the playoffs? I sure don't.

I'm not hoping for a lockout, but I've been saying for a few years now that Brodeur's done at the end of this season. I'm sticking with that opinion until Marty himself says otherwise.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're aware that every goalie goes through rough patches, right? Marty's not the first one. He's been playing better for a while now and has apparently adapted to new equipment sizes.

It's 11 games. Don't get me wrong, it's great, hope he keeps it up, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not THAT long a stretch of good play.

If this was five years or even three years ago, I'd agree and say "it was a rough patch, but now all is well". But so many factors have me feeling like Marty's a real wild card at this point, in what we should expect going forward. And that's not a knock on Marty...it's actually praise, in that no one's ever done what he has, in terms of games played, minutes played, etc. There's no other cases to compare him to.

It's 11 games. Don't get me wrong, it's great, hope he keeps it up, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not THAT long a stretch of good play.

If this was five years or even three years ago, I'd agree and say "it was a rough patch, but now all is well". But so many factors have me feeling like Marty's a real wild card at this point, in what we should expect going forward. And that's not a knock on Marty...it's actually praise, in that no one's ever done what he has, in terms of games played, minutes played, etc. There's no other cases to compare him to.

I can definitely agree with that, but I also don't think it's right to say Marty still has to 'own up to October' while ignoring the last few weeks and the end of last season. There's something left. The question is how much, and what does the team need next year to make sure we hit the right balance.

Well Tri meant last year when he was saying own up to October...I wasn't trying to say he was exempt from blame for what happened last year but the fact is everyone from Kovy to Tallinder to White to Marty played so far below what should have been their career worst that 'all' of it should pretty much be an abberation. I can't use that stretch to evaluate Marty anymore than I can use it for Kovy (a star in the prime of his career) or anyone else on that team. Things were just poisonous around here for any number of reasons and Marty - like the rest of the team - rebounded big-time in the second half.

Yes, this year at the beginning it sure looked like Marty was finished when he was putting up historically bad numbers - partly cause Hedberg was doing well with the same team (last year that wasn't the case, other than the one fluke week in late November without Langs in the lineup). Ironically, it was about when this poll got put up that Marty's play started to turn one way and Hedberg leveled off.

And DeBoer deserves credit for sticking with Marty when all the evidence over half a season suggested that he should be at best in a tandem with Hedberg and the fans were silently - or not - hoping that Hedberg would play 'more' than Marty. Maybe it was as simple as Marty struggled to find a rhythm after the early injury. Of course that doesn't mean much unless he manages not to get hurt again (which I wouldn't put money on).

Edited by NJDevs4978

I can definitely agree with that, but I also don't think it's right to say Marty still has to 'own up to October' while ignoring the last few weeks and the end of last season. There's something left. The question is how much, and what does the team need next year to make sure we hit the right balance.

Those are the tough questions to answer, as they always are when you're dealing with the Martin Brodeurs of the sports world.

The one way they will be easily answered is the one that is most detrimental to the team: Marty playing like the Marty of October thru mid-January. I would hope Marty, out of pride, would look at the last two seasons overall and call it a career if that should happen.

If he continues to play at his recent level or something close to it? I don't know. In many fans' eyes, that will make his coming back next season a slam-dunk, and admittedly, the part of me has enjoyed watching Marty's career from Day 1 will be torn on that one...it will be so strange when that day finally comes, when Marty really is no longer going to be playing. But I just hate when guys hang on one season too long...I don't want to remember them that way, or see them play as a significantly diminished version of themselves. I would love it if Marty played out a strong second half, won his 100th playoff game, helped his team win a playoff round or two (realistically) and called it a career. But that's not my story to write.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Oh god damn us. Why did we have to be blessed with such an amazing goal tender. These things always turn out messy in the end.

Anyway, as long as our defensive keeps playing slightly above average and our offense puts up 4 goals a game I think Brodeur is going to be a lot more comfortable and might possibly lead us to the second round of the playoffs either this year or next. But if the team plays the way they did against Florida a few days ago the team isn't going to be able to do much.

I'd go with the hot but making sure no goalie plays to many in a row. IF we get into a comfortable position play Hedberg a bit more. If it is tight to the end favor the hot goalie.

also doesn't everyone love the "lundqvist is better than brodeur" argument ranger fans bring up now :rolleyes:

It's all insignificant to me. Icertainly believe a good goalie can add wins to the column and drive you through the playoffs. But in todays league you can win the cup with decent goalie play and a ridiculous team in front. I'd rather have the latter because it is more consistent. I don't care about the goalie, might as well be Marty, spend the money on the team in front. I trust that Marty can play average hockey from here on out.

Edited by ben00rs

I'd go with the hot but making sure no goalie plays to many in a row. IF we get into a comfortable position play Hedberg a bit more. If it is tight to the end favor the hot goalie.

also doesn't everyone love the "lundqvist is better than brodeur" argument ranger fans bring up now :rolleyes:

People are saying The Queen is better than Brodeur now because of the talent on the ice lol Saying the players are younger and have harder shots. I'm like uhhh..did Brodeur play in the 60's and 70s? I'm pretty sure he's faced everything The Queen has faced too. I could be wrong..what do you guys think?

Also I noticed Lunquivst has almost 50 shutouts so far in his career..is it me or does he seem like he's on pace to break Brodeurs record a lot sooner than later?

People are saying The Queen is better than Brodeur now because of the talent on the ice lol Saying the players are younger and have harder shots. I'm like uhhh..did Brodeur play in the 60's and 70s? I'm pretty sure he's faced everything The Queen has faced too. I could be wrong..what do you guys think?

Also I noticed Lunquivst has almost 50 shutouts so far in his career..is it me or does he seem like he's on pace to break Brodeurs record a lot sooner than later?

Nah, he's only got 42 according to Yahoo. Even at a vezina caliber pace thats another 3/4 of a season until he gets to 50. No way he get 70 more shutouts after he's 30.

What is is Patrick Roy said?

Oh yeah, "I didn't hear him because I got two Stanley Cup rings in my ears."

He is turning 30 years old this season with 42 SO...I'm not sure if you are serious. Say he plays 8 more seasons, he will need to average over 9 SO a season to tie Brodeur.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

The Queen most likely isn't going to break Brodeur's wins or shutouts records. He has 240 career wins and 42 shutouts, making him 404 wins and 75 shutouts behind Marty. Even if he played for another 10 years, it would be highly unlikely he approached those numbers as everything would have to break right for him and that organization for him to even have a chance.

Too bad Marty lost a season and a 1/2 to lockout during the course of his career. He would likely have over 700 wins and 125 shutouts by now.

What people are saying that? And who cares? If there was a tough decade for goalies, it was the 80s, but having watched games back then, I can tell you that goalies and defensemen overall are better now than they were then.

As someone else here has posted, Lundqvist has 42 shutouts...not almost 50. He has to put up 76 more of them to pass Brodeur, and Marty ain't done yet...he probably has a few more in him.

Lundqvist boosters will likely point to career regular season save% to make their case on why Lundqvist is better than Brodeur (.921 to .913 career). They probably won't bring up that Marty has the better lifetime playoff career save% (.919 to .909), not to mention 3 Cups. There's no arguing that Lundqvist is a terrific goalie right now (an outrageous .941 save% this season), and probably will be for at least four or five more seasons after that. After that, who knows? That's what makes Marty so special, in that his prime lasted so damned long...last year was the first real noticable drop-off, in terms of performance, and he pulled it together in the second half. What's kind of ironic is that one of his worst seasons came during one of the Devils' best: 2001. I remember him being shaky that year...his finished the regular season with a .906 save% (and had to go on a flourish to get it above .900 IIRC), and had an .897 save% in the playoffs.

In addition to what Colorado is saying, Marty has the single season wins record, has the most consecutive seasons with 30 wins or more and 40 wins or more, plus Marty is perhaps that last, great puck handling goalie. Lunddqvist also has huge pads and is a strict butterfly goaltender. There's a few goalies that come to mind before Lundqvist is even thought of. Dominik Hasek and patrick Roy come to mind.

In addition to what Colorado is saying, Marty has the single season wins record, has the most consecutive seasons with 30 wins or more and 40 wins or more, plus Marty is perhaps that last, great puck handling goalie. Lunddqvist also has huge pads and is a strict butterfly goaltender. There's a few goalies that come to mind before Lundqvist is even thought of. Dominik Hasek and patrick Roy come to mind.

To expand on this, Lundqvist being a strict butterfly goalie (with rumored knee problems) means he probably won't be playing at a high level until he's 40. The knees and hips can't take that kind of beating forever, especially playing 70 games a year. Lundqvist probably grabs a Vezina (or has a few close calls) in the next 3-4 years, but then you may see a decline start.

Yea I was serious and just curious.

I'm glad he doesn't have as many shut outs as I thought and it's good to see solid points made in order to make me believe like the rest of you guys that he won't touch Marty's records.

It's just a lot of guys around here, NHL.com, youtube :blahblah: ..you name it, they are all coming out of the wood works now...they come up with these crazy analogies as to why Lunquivst is better and of course I'm like theres just no way..

Chris Terreri was the reason I started watching the Devils and I even remember being a little kid and my mom making a huge fuss about Brodeur when he took over the starting job because he was just that good. His style is epic.

I acknowledge Henrik is excellent and wouldn't mind him being my goaltender but I know what this team had/has with Brodeur is not easily duplicated.

About the most wins in a season, that happened when shootout wins counted so there is always that gray area regarding that. However, if Lundqvist (or any other future goalie) does get 49 wins one year, he will run into that same issue too so it kinda balances out.

I never put too much emphasis about most wins in a season when I talk about Brodeur because of this issue.

The NYR thing and Lundqvist is all a bunch of hype. First of all, no one expected NYR to be tops in the league before the season started. Second, because NYR is in first and they're a New York team, the more talk, the more money. It's like the Yankees. Before they began to win World Series' again, I hardly saw any Yankees stuff. After the Yankees won, all I saw was Yankees stuff. If the Devils were frist overall, it wouldn't be a big deal, but since it's a New York team, it's a big big deal.