Official "Marty Watch" Thread

Neb00rs

The only intangible, non-financial consequences at play here relate to his legacy. There's the legacy Marty, his peers and family have of him, and the legacy hockey fans will have of him. I'd say this thread is debating the latter. The latter probably doesnt matter to Marty, but it can matter to fans who like to see as clean and as pristine a career for their favorite players as possible. 

I think you see my point. The consequences are what the fans will think of him (i.e. here in this thread). And it is being assumed that Marty makes that his prerogative.

Edited by Neb00rs

I NEVER called you 'silly' for not supporting Marty signing somewhere else and nor did anyone else. That is a complete distortion of my argument. I am calling you, yes silly, for saying that his legacy/Devils-only legacy is tarnished for playing with the Blues.

You also certainly seem like you think he should be worried about what you think what with your statement 'actions have consequences.' 

You are talking about him like you own him.

Comparing any of this to Marty signing with the Devils' most hated rival is ludicrous and not worthy of engagement.  

First, Marty doesn't have a Devils-only legacy, something we need to get used to now. He gave that up for 6 starts in St. Louis.

Second, you are just arguing semantics, but fine let's try it this way: It's silly to think that playing with the Blues tarnishes his career, but it's not silly to think that it would if it were the Rangers. Why? 

All the justification arguments I have seen thus far are "it's his career, he can do what he wants, he has something to prove, passion for the game" etc etc. And while that's all true, I don't see where any of that precludes have a negative opinion of his decision, and the actual result of that decision. Going out like this is pretty much the worst possible scenario:

No Devils-only legacy, no goodbye tour, no last NHL game as a Devil, no successful twilight season with another team. Nothing good came from this, I don't expect other people to feel the same way as me, but I would think you could understand how as a fan I would view his tenure with St. Louis a waste. 

Or you know, silly.

First, Marty doesn't have a Devils-only legacy, something we need to get used to now. He gave that up for 6 starts in St. Louis.

Second, you are just arguing semantics, but fine let's try it this way: It's silly to think that playing with the Blues tarnishes his career, but it's not silly to think that it would if it were the Rangers. Why? 

All the justification arguments I have seen thus far are "it's his career, he can do what he wants, he has something to prove, passion for the game" etc etc. And while that's all true, I don't see where any of that precludes have a negative opinion of his decision, and the actual result of that decision. Going out like this is pretty much the worst possible scenario:

No Devils-only legacy, no goodbye tour, no last NHL game as a Devil, no successful twilight season with another team. Nothing good came from this, I don't expect other people to feel the same way as me, but I would think you could understand how as a fan I would view his tenure with St. Louis a waste. 

Or you know, silly.

It's not semantics at all??? Marty signing with the Devils' most hated rival and a team that he said he can't stand is a little bit more legacy-effecting than signing with a team in the Western Conference. This is common sense.

You have changed your argument multiple times now. The reason you got jumped on is because you basically said that Marty's legacy is ruined for you because of the six games. No one here disagreed that it was pointless, if that's what you mean by 'waste'. It obviously was. Marty is cooked.

Edited by Neb00rs

I think you see my point. The consequences are what the fans will think of him (i.e. here in this thread). And it is being assumed that Marty makes that his perogative

I dont think its being presumed that at all. Actually, posters like myself think Marty probably regrets leaving the Devils for a whopping 6 games. I obviously dont know this as fact, its speculation and trying to relate to athletes. Thats all it is. Dont take it too literally.

It's not semantics at all??? Marty signing with the Devils' most hated rival and a team that he said he can't stand is a little bit more legacy-effecting than signing with a team in the Western Conference. This is common sense.

Why would it matter? If that's what he wants who are we to judge him? You are silly for presuming that Marty's job is not to play for the Rangers because thats what the fans want. (I am playing Devils advocate, i think that's obvious but you are missing some basic stuff soo...)

You have changed your argument multiple times now. The reason you got jumped on is because you basically said that Marty's legacy is ruined for you because of the six games. No one here disagreed that it was pointless, if that's what you mean by 'waste'. It obviously was. Marty is cooked.

Lol I never said his legacy is ruined. Do you know what the word "tarnish" means? "Less shiny", not "not shiny". I thought "waste" was obvious when I wrote it (what else could I have been referring too?) but I clarified it in my post after that anyway.

Why would it matter? If that's what he wants who are we to judge him? You are silly for presuming that Marty's job is not to play for the Rangers because thats what the fans want. (I am playing Devils advocate, i think that's obvious but you are missing some basic stuff soo...)

First off, I wouldn't be THAT upset if Marty signed with the Rags. If he signed there because they were going to let him play, I would get it and eventually get over it. This is just an example of the most extreme move he could make - one that you brought up and one that is irrelevant. What CR said was very simple: "Who is anyone to suggest that this was a waste, if it's what Marty wanted?" The point is easy to understand: the only one who can decide if it was a waste or not is Marty. Just because it is a waste in your mind that does not make it a waste. He wanted to play still and so it wasn't a waste for him. You keep hanging on to this weird "So he can do whatever he wants?" argument and you are continually relying on straw man to backpedal from your original remarks. 

Lol I never said his legacy is ruined. Do you know what the word "tarnish" means? "Less shiny", not "not shiny". I thought "waste" was obvious when I wrote it (what else could I have been referring too?) but I clarified it in my post after that anyway.

Yes, I am the one who is playing semantics. Lol.

Outside of a few fans being upset, there are none.

Agreed. And this is what I haven't pointed out. Marty is fine even if he is worried about fan opinion, because it seems that the overwhelming consensus is that nothing has changed as far as his NJ legacy goes.

Jesus Christ, he didn't "leave the Devils" to go to St. Louis, the Devils didn't give him a job, they replaced him! And 90% of the fans were calling for exactly that to happen. Maybe you hoped he would retire, but he was never unclear about not wanting to do that. So what the fvck was he supposed to do, give up what he wanted because fans are worried about him "ruining his all Devils legacy"? Get real, geniuses.

Bringing up the Ranger scenario was truly pointless...that would NEVER happen in a million parallel universes and you know that.  Marty hates them, the Rangers already have a top goalie in Lundqvist, and even if he suffered an injury, Talbot has played well enough in his games that he'd get a shot to have a Clemmensen-type run.   

But as far as even entertaining a 100% will-never-happen hypothetical goes...if Marty ever did go to the Rangers at this stage in his career, I'd think "Man, if the Rangers want a way over-the-hill Marty, so be it I guess."  Whatever sadness I would feel wouldn't come from Marty somehow "staining" his Devils legacy or even him wearing a Ranger jersey...it would come from the fact that he almost certainly wouldn't play well, and as a result of that, Ranger fans (many of whom, though grudgingly respectful of him, obviously don't like him) would boo and taunt him mercilessly.  He'd have to play at a ridiculously high level for an extended period of time for the Ranger faithful to even dream of accepting him, which everyone knows he can't possibly pull off...it's an absolute no-win situation for everyone involved. 

Neboors, CO,  

It's not about if it would happen, it's about understanding how one can still appreciate Marty and still have an negative opinion on his decision or how it impacts his legacy. If a part of you would be sad, disappointed, frustrated, confused by him playing for the Rangers, then every argument along the lines of "it's his life who are you to comment" are completely invalidated. Obviously you would be able to understand how someone could appreciate and respect everything Marty has done for this organization, and still disagree and be extremely disappointed with his decision.

If you can truly say that playing a few games for the Rangers wouldn't effect you at all, then I tip my hat, you are a bigger person then I.

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m2 minutes ago

Martin Brodeur will take another week or so, post all-star break, to decide his future, agent Pat Brisson says. The Blues are cool with that

IE Marty's gonna take another week post all-star break to wait and see if another starting goaltender gets hurt/plays poorly to see if anyone would entertain a trade for him.

Hopefully Marty grabs a minute to watch that LA game he played and thinks better of playing more.  He's just not going to get the benefit of the doubt anywhere - anywhere he plays it will have to be based on playing well in his last game, and at this point in his career he can't be expected to have more good games than bad.

Edited by Triumph

I think Marty sincerely wanted to continue his career this season. However, to me, the only reason to continue playing is to hit 700 and there 's nothing wrong with that. However, I don't think that there is any team that he could go to at this point and pick up 9 more wins before the end of the season. Therefore, there is little point in coming back unless he plans on trying to play again next year. He is not going to be leading another team to a SCF, so that's out of the question, and he's never going to be the outright starter on any team again. 700 is it.

The funny thing is, if Elliot had stayed injured, Marty might be around 795-6 right now. The Blues have been on fire and sure Marty would have allowed some more goals than Elliot but the Blues most likely would have won about the same amount of games.

Marty would probably get some decent playing time on a crap team looking for a gimmick; like the Sabres, but does he really want to go 3-14 the rest of the way?

I think Marty sincerely wanted to continue his career this season. However, to me, the only reason to continue playing is to hit 700 and there 's nothing wrong with that. However, I don't think that there is any team that he could go to at this point and pick up 9 more wins before the end of the season. Therefore, there is little point in coming back unless he plans on trying to play again next year. He is not going to be leading another team to a SCF, so that's out of the question, and he's never going to be the outright starter on any team again. 700 is it.

The funny thing is, if Elliot had stayed injured, Marty might be around 795-6 right now. The Blues have been on fire and sure Marty would have allowed some more goals than Elliot but the Blues most likely would have won about the same amount of games.

Marty would probably get some decent playing time on a crap team looking for a gimmick; like the Sabres, but does he really want to go 3-14 the rest of the way?

Brodeur will be 43 in May.  Once he retires, that's it - no one is going to want him if he decides differently a year from now.  He clearly still loves playing and competing and being at the rink - someone reported that he was sitting in on Blues' power play meetings - so that's the reason to stay on, not 700.  I imagine 700 is somewhere in his head, but Brodeur's peer group have all retired, and I'd bet that if he's still in touch with them that a common topic of conversation is how much they miss playing the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's talked to guys who think they hung them up too early.  You can feel that love of the game in Daneyko's voice sometimes and he left 12 years ago.

If 700 was his only goal, he would've gone to a mediocre team and eventually made it there, probably.  He could've stayed here and gotten that, possibly.  He didn't want that.  

Brodeur will be 43 in May. Once he retires, that's it - no one is going to want him if he decides differently a year from now. He clearly still loves playing and competing and being at the rink - someone reported that he was sitting in on Blues' power play meetings - so that's the reason to stay on, not 700. I imagine 700 is somewhere in his head, but Brodeur's peer group have all retired, and I'd bet that if he's still in touch with them that a common topic of conversation is how much they miss playing the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's talked to guys who think they hung them up too early. You can feel that love of the game in Daneyko's voice sometimes and he left 12 years ago.

If 700 was his only goal, he would've gone to a mediocre team and eventually made it there, probably. He could've stayed here and gotten that, possibly. He didn't want that.

I agree with this pretty much entirely. Hes said in the past that once he hangs up his skates, it's all over for good. I think he was hoping for one last spark and to leave on his own terms, but it just isn't going to play out like that.

Brodeur will be 43 in May.  Once he retires, that's it - no one is going to want him if he decides differently a year from now.  He clearly still loves playing and competing and being at the rink - someone reported that he was sitting in on Blues' power play meetings - so that's the reason to stay on, not 700.  I imagine 700 is somewhere in his head, but Brodeur's peer group have all retired, and I'd bet that if he's still in touch with them that a common topic of conversation is how much they miss playing the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's talked to guys who think they hung them up too early.  You can feel that love of the game in Daneyko's voice sometimes and he left 12 years ago.

If 700 was his only goal, he would've gone to a mediocre team and eventually made it there, probably.  He could've stayed here and gotten that, possibly.  He didn't want that.  

That's my point. Marty wanted to keep playing to play. To me though, 700 is the only thing he could have gotten out of it. Of course, there is always the 'joy' of playing game to game, but he wasn't going to get the chance to do that. Thus, he left the Blues.