2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Makes sense for Nose, why not bet on yourself?  Maybe he can get a little more in a multi-year deal as a RFA.  Very unlikely that he'll get less (from an AAV standpoint, anyway), so why sign for $1.7 AAV beyond this season?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Makes sense for Nose, why not bet on yourself?  Maybe he can get a little more in a multi-year deal as a RFA.  Very unlikely that he'll get less (from an AAV standpoint, anyway), so why sign for $1.7 AAV beyond this season?

It's a good point. Perhaps his agent took that position while Coleman's did not, explaining the different terms. 

I don't think Noesen is the one who wanted the 1 year deal.  He's missed large portions of his career with injury - I'd think such a player would want the certainty of a multi-year deal.  I think the Devils were the ones who wanted the 1 year deal because they have a lot of RWs who could potentially take Noesen's spot in the future.

29 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Coleman also would’ve been a UFA after this season, so they bought a couple of those years.

Makes sense. 

the whole deal makes sense, I have no problem with locking him up for a few years under $2m per. 

• Like 2

So we technically have a full roster (and decent young roster) with almost 20m to spend, that's a pretty good situation to be in going forward but we REALLY need to grow our own talent cause it's harder and harder to sign players or trade for impact players. Hopefully we can find a few gems in our prospects and hopefully Bratt can become an impact player

Taylor Hall - Nico Hischier - Jesper Bratt

Marcus Jo - Pavel Zacha - Kyle Palmieri

Coleman - Zajac - Noeson

Wood - Boyle - Joe Anderson/Kurtis Gabriel/Available

D is pretty much set:

Butcher - Vatanen

Mueller - Severson

Greene - Lovejoy

Santini (RHD)

i don't expect Hall to repeat his last season but i expect him to hit at the very least least 80 pts. Hischier should also get more point and Bratt too. Hopefully Mojo can get a full season too. Then we technically should get similar production. Zacha taking the next step would go such a long way but im not holding my breath on that one

16 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Coleman - Zajac - Noeson

D is pretty much set:

Butcher - Vatanen

Mueller - Severson

Greene - Lovejoy

Santini (RHD)

You think Butcher will jump all the way up to the first pairing? 

1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:

Coleman - Zajac - Noeson

D is pretty much set:

Butcher - Vatanen

Mueller - Severson

Greene - Lovejoy

Santini (RHD)

That third D pairing is downright scary.

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If it gets Greene less time, I’m all for it.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I trust Lovejoy more than Greene. Unfortunately, I don’t see him being sat or scratched, even though he is the largest liability on the blue-line. He’s protected by the C

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

If it gets Greene less time, I’m all for it.

I would be too. Butcher can’t be any worse defensively than Greene was last season, and at least he puts up points. I just don’t see Hynes doing it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

Coleman - Zajac - Noeson

D is pretty much set:

Butcher - Vatanen

Mueller - Severson

Greene - Lovejoy

Santini (RHD)

What's left on Greene's deal?  Too bad he is protected by the C.  Other than that, the roster is stable.  Some have to step up their game and/or stay injury free.

10 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

Coleman - Zajac - Noeson

D is pretty much set:

Butcher - Vatanen

Mueller - Severson

Greene - Lovejoy

Santini (RHD)

Not bad - looks pretty exciting up front.  If Mojo stays healthy, Zacha finally breaks out and Bratt shows he wasn't a flash in the pan, we could have a pretty exciting team again up front.

On defense though.. that second pairing has a lot to prove.  And that third pairing is already giving me heartburn.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, aclc79 said:

What's left on Greene's deal?  Too bad he is protected by the C.  Other than that, the roster is stable.  Some have to step up their game and/or stay injury free.

2 more years for Greene and one for Lovejoy. Hopefully just in time for some youth.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I dont think we have any better option. I mean Greene was terrible with some of the passes which literally made me skip a beat.

20 hours ago, njbuff said:

Agreed.

15 hours ago, aclc79 said:

2y@5AAV, hope Shero buys him out or he retires after next year. Zajac is 3y@5.75 which is also way too high for a 3rd line center.

11 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Not bad - looks pretty exciting up front.  If Mojo stays healthy, Zacha finally breaks out and Bratt shows he wasn't a flash in the pan, we could have a pretty exciting team again up front.

On defense though.. that second pairing has a lot to prove.  And that third pairing is already giving me heartburn.

3rd D paring is the reason I was hoping for de Haan. I feel there are 3 key forwards who may need to be upgraded: MoJo, Zacha and Bratt. Mojo because of injury, Zacha/Bratt still have to prove themselves. Second line or top 6 players shouldn't be scratched the way these two were and/or they need more time (its more of a time will tell). Boyle could also be upgraded. On D, definitely Greene and Lovejoy should be upgraded with two top 4 dmen, this would give Mueller and Severson a chance to grow.

Edited by Anhkheg

On 7/17/2018 at 10:37 PM, SterioDesign said:

i don't expect Hall to repeat his last season but i expect him to hit at the very least least 80 pts. Hischier should also get more point and Bratt too. Hopefully Mojo can get a full season too. Then we technically should get similar production. Zacha taking the next step would go such a long way but im not holding my breath on that one

Just maybe someone else just might step up like Bratt did last year. i'm hoping Anderson earns a shot in top 6 on the right side early on. Hoping also Santini earns a permanent spot in top 6.  

Looking over the roster and potential starting lines, I  basically agree with the way those lines are constructed and I also see the same possible flaws (i.e. Bratt needing to show something again this year, 2nd line D pairing being asked to do more, and the 3rd D pairing being a huge liability), BUT.... one of the bigger red flags I see is this:  If Zacha doesn't take the next step and elevate his game this year to what we all hope/think he can be, we are in a pretty bad spot and suddenly our C position looks REALLY weak.  You have to wonder how much longer Zajac's defensive abilities can keep him relevant and worthy of potentially 2nd-line minutes.  Not to mention, aside from Hischier of course, the rest of the guys up the middle are INCREDIBLY slow.  I mean... Zacha, Zajac, and BOYLE?  Holy hell those are some turds when it comes to speed.  

52 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Looking over the roster and potential starting lines, I  basically agree with the way those lines are constructed and I also see the same possible flaws (i.e. Bratt needing to show something again this year, 2nd line D pairing being asked to do more, and the 3rd D pairing being a huge liability), BUT.... one of the bigger red flags I see is this:  If Zacha doesn't take the next step and elevate his game this year to what we all hope/think he can be, we are in a pretty bad spot and suddenly our C position looks REALLY weak.  You have to wonder how much longer Zajac's defensive abilities can keep him relevant and worthy of potentially 2nd-line minutes.  Not to mention, aside from Hischier of course, the rest of the guys up the middle are INCREDIBLY slow.  I mean... Zacha, Zajac, and BOYLE?  Holy hell those are some turds when it comes to speed.  

McLeod will certainly help add some speed at center once he’s ready. 

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Stopppppppp. Please god stop. Zajac plays an enormous role on this team, was signed to that deal to keep him away from unrestricted free agency, and maybe is overpaid by $1m per season. We're currently thirty two million dollars shy of the salary cap. Why is Zajac-bashing such a common thing? It's not your money, it's not money that's prohibiting the Devils from making any acquisitions, and Travis Zajac is fvcking hugely important to this team's success. 

Points aren't the only important part of hockey games. 

Couldn’t agree more with all of this. 

• Like 1