2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

21 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Interesting reason why we have so many afternoon games this year - quotes are Hugh Weber: 

"We happen to be one that we've been in front of the league the last five years saying 'hey, use us any way you can'.

"This is a pretty amazing opportunity for us and also for our players to get out and engage with these fans that will be watching a lot of the Devils family over the season."

So keen are the Devils to tap into the European market that they have scheduled a franchise-record 12 afternoon home games this season, all of which Weber said will be broadcast live at primetime in Europe. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-devils-hope-european-road-trip-paves-road-130342573--nhl.html

Met a guy in the UK once that said he loved hockey and football. He was a Montreal fan but he was super excited just to see a hockey fan at all he thought I was awesome. He said the games were on really late and when the lockout hit he just never got back into it. 

1 minute ago, LittleBallofHate said:

More cuts:  @NJDevils  The #NJDevils have assigned defenseman Ty Smith to his junior team in Spokane (WHL). In addition, the club has assigned forwards Kevin Rooney and Brett Seney to Binghamton (AHL).

Smith made a hell of an impression in camp, he can be proud of himself and keep on improving. He'll definitely fight for a spot next year. Can't wait to follow his progression in junior and watch him at the WJC.

• Like 6

too bad about smith.

so if i have this right, the team is set:

hall-hischier-palmieri

johansson-zacha-bratt

wood-zajac-quenville

coleman-boyle-noeson

dea

*stafford PTO

greene-vatanen

butcher-serverson

meuller-lovejoy

santini/gryba

kinkaid

lack

--edit - did lappin ever actually go to bingo after he made it through waivers? or is he going on the trip as insurance in case of injury?

Edited by sundstrom

3 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

too bad about smith.

hall-hischier-palmieri

johansson-zacha-bratt

wood-zajac-quenville

coleman-boyle-noeson

dea

*stafford PTO

greene-vatanen

butcher-serverson

meuller-lovejoy

santini/gryba

kinkaid

lack

--edit - did lappin ever actually go to bingo after he made it through waivers? or is he going on the trip as insurance in case of injury?

Lappin is at practice in Binghamton, smiling away... https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/9/28/17911570/binghamton-devils-upbeat-during-training-camp

• Like 1

re: Quenneville (guess i will now have to learn how to spell his name correctly), i know that i'm likely the only one that cares about such things but, since he's made the team, man do i hope he switches to 17. wouldn't mind getting that number back in the rotation for someone that might actually do something.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Met a guy in the UK once that said he loved hockey and football. He was a Montreal fan but he was super excited just to see a hockey fan at all he thought I was awesome. He said the games were on really late and when the lockout hit he just never got back into it. 

You also "know" a French Devs fan who struggle since 1998 to follow NHL and his Devils team and who is ecstatic about this schedule... He knows that he will be able to sleep better next season! I guess I should thanks the little Swiss guy who isn't too bad as a player... 

... Oh... Yeah, I was talking about me btw! : ) 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

As a UK fan I'm used to watching games that start at midnight but the afternoon games mean I can watch with my daughter who loves hockey which is great news.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2018 at 2:20 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

I really like that Whalers jersey, BUT... why would they pay homage to a team/city that isn't theirs?  You don't see the Calgary Flames wearing throwback Atlanta Flames jerseys.  Or the Coyotes wearing Winnipeg Jets for 3rds.  Just seems stupid to me, and kind of a slap at your own fanbase and current hometown.  I'm actually pretty shocked the NHL would want and/or allow this.  Does it happen in other sports?  I don't recall the Nationals wearing Expos sh!t. 

This. I never want to see the Devils wear Rockies or Scouts jerseys. Those teams weren't my team and the Devils only exist because those failed. Thanks for the team but we don't need to pay homage to that sh!t. It's bad enough we paid homage to them with the new jerseys. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

This. I never want to see the Devils wear Rockies or Scouts jerseys. Those teams weren't my team and the Devils only exist because those failed. Thanks for the team but we don't need to pay homage to that sh!t. It's bad enough we paid homage to them with the new jerseys. 

The bolded I definitely didn't like...a miscalculation by the franchise for sure.  Seemed like they were trying to address a demand that didn't exist, but my theory on that will always remain the same:  some corporate out-of-touch dipsh!ts saw some fans wearing Scouts and Rockies gear during games (though for any given game, it's a fraction of a percent of those who actually do that...there's far more Devils fans who couldn't tell you the first thing about the Scouts and Rockies), waaaaaaay overestimated fan interest in those iterations, and thought wouldn't it be so clever to incorporate elements of those jerseys, at the expense of introducing an inferior design to the outgoing Edges.  It could've been much worse though...thank whoever that someone put the kebosh on the Bingo Devils crest being the NJ Devils crest.  That would've been a disaster of Buffaslug and Fishsticks proportions.  As long as the classic NJ crest remains untouched, I can tolerate a hell of lot.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded I definitely didn't like...a miscalculation by the franchise for sure.  Seemed like they were trying to address a demand that didn't exist, but my theory on that will always remain the same:  some corporate out-of-touch dipsh!ts saw some fans wearing Scouts and Rockies gear during games (though for any given game, it's a fraction of a percent of those who actually do that...there's far more Devils fans who couldn't tell you the first thing about the Scouts and Rockies), waaaaaaay overestimated fan interest in those iterations, and thought wouldn't it be so clever to incorporate elements of those jerseys, at the expense of introducing an inferior design to the outgoing Edges.  It could've been much worse though...thank whoever that someone put the kebosh on the Bingo Devils crest being the NJ Devils crest.  That would've been a disaster of Buffaslug and Fishsticks proportions.  As long as the classic NJ crest remains untouched, I can tolerate a hell of lot.

I’m not entirely sure that they actually did that. I think they redesigned the jerseys and then tried to make up a story to justify it. I don’t look at the New Jersey’s and think they are reminiscent of the Rockies or the Scouts, nor the Bulldogs.

If they never said it, I wouldn’t have thought it at all. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not entirely sure that they actually did that. I think they redesigned the jerseys and then tried to make up a story to justify it. I don’t look at the New Jersey’s and think they are reminiscent of the Rockies or the Scouts, nor the Bulldogs.

If they never said it, I wouldn’t have thought it at all. 

I did notice the equal-width sleeve stripes and thought "Rockies", but yeah, never would have tied the collar area to the Scouts.  The Bulldog hem was especially forced.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 3:04 PM, mfitz804 said:

Could the Dea move mean Stafford will be packing his bags? 

Doubt it imo. Stafford can be plugged in anywhere, on all 4 lines. (although likely) someone else would move up to play on 2nd like) . And he's a righty, where we lack depth. I think they keep 7 D 14 FW's in total?

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, sundstrom said:

too bad about smith.

hall-hischier-palmieri

johansson-zacha-bratt

wood-zajac-quenville

coleman-boyle-noeson

dea

*stafford PTO

greene-vatanen

butcher-serverson

meuller-lovejoy

santini/gryba

kinkaid

lack

That's 24 players, so someone has to go.  I'm guessing Gryba is the odd man out.  I'd rather see Santini and Mueller as permanent parts of the roster on D, and for forwards, I don't see how Dea doesn't get a spot when they just brought him in and he has some potential, and then of course there's the weird and never-sending love affair with Stafford, so I just don't see where Gryba fits and stays over any of those guys.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, sundstrom said:

too bad about smith.

hall-hischier-palmieri

johansson-zacha-bratt

wood-zajac-quenville

coleman-boyle-noeson

dea

*stafford PTO

greene-vatanen

butcher-serverson

meuller-lovejoy

santini/gryba

kinkaid

lack

That's 24 players, so someone has to go.  I'm guessing Gryba is the odd man out.  I'd rather see Santini and Mueller as permanent parts of the roster on D, and for forwards, I don't see how Dea doesn't get a spot when they just brought him in and he has some potential, and then of course there's the weird and never-sending love affair with Stafford, so I just don't see where Gryba fits and stays over any of those guys.

23 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Gorton’s Fisherman laughs at the Bing Devils’ logo, that thing is horrendously pathetic. Hell even little league teams would be embarrassed to wear that as a primary logo. I really hope one day we find out it was a Make-a-wish kid’s dream to design a logo, the organization said absolutely, we hooked them up for a few years (NHL video game style), instead of some idiot who makes an absurd amount of money saying “this looks good, hell it should be the big teams new logo!”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

The Gorton’s Fisherman laughs at the Bing Devils’ logo, that thing is horrendously pathetic. Hell even little league teams would be embarrassed to wear that as a primary logo. I really hope one day we find out it was a Make-a-wish kid’s dream to design a logo, the organization said absolutely, we hooked them up for a few years (NHL video game style), instead of some idiot who makes an absurd amount of money saying “this looks good, hell it should be the big teams new logo!”

I honestly think the Fishsticks jersey and the B-Devils jersey are equally horrendous.  It really is that bad.

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's actually 23 w/ Stafford getting the albelin, gomez treatment for a while of hanging around without a contract. (hence the asterisk).