Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

With absolutely nothing to base this on, I'm assuming that Shero will go for Hughes...if that's the case, then one of the real winners here is...Pavel Zacha.

No more worrying about trying to become an offensive force or a Top 6, or trying to live up to the sex appeal of having been picked sixth overall in his draft class...at this point, you do everything you can to make him one of the best 3Cs in the NHL.  A guy who can put up 35-45 points, and might even flirt with 50 in a good year.  A guy who can fill in on the top two lines on occasion if need be, and at least be decent at it, without it feeling like it's crippling the team.  A guy who can do a little of everything, and has that knack for scoring a timely goal here and there...an unsung hero type. 

He's a RFA, so it will be interesting to see what he's offered, especially from a term standpoint.   

Crazy to think that next year, the Devils' centers could be Nico (age 20), Hughes (age 18), Zajac (age 34), and Zacha (age 22).  Zajac is the perfect vet to have around too...and clearly still has something left, as he enters the final two years of his deal.  I would love it if he could help turn Zacha into a loose doppleganger of himself. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Here's a write-up from StevenToddIves, a journalist on HFBoards:

Yes, but why male models?

28 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Is it safe to say Hughes would be the best skater the Devils have had since Niedermayer? 

Entirely safe to say that, you'll be hard pressed to find a current NHLer that's better on his edges than Hughes is, maybe Gaudreau or Marner? Hughes probably isn't as fast as McDavid or MacKinnon, but he might immediately be the most agile and shifty player in the league when he comes in, he's at least in the conversation.

Mulling it over a bit as well, I think a line of Coleman - Hughes - Palmieri would be so damn effective. Coleman can play the sort of Zach Hyman role that he plays on the Tavares line in Toronto, do more of the grinding and defensive work and can bang in some chances when his more skilled linemates set him up, and Hughes can just dish to Palmieri over and over. Adding a player of this caliber is going to change the shape of this team, there's so much reason for excitement.

• Like 1

Kakko really impressed me at the world juniors. Hughes was out for most of it. i hope they televise the under 20 worlds.  I would like to see a healthy Hughes in action.  I was wrong in wanting size in the Nico Nolan draft.  Right now I'm still leaning Kakko, but if Hughes is the skater that all the stories say he is, then he is the pick.  With Shero being Hughes father's agent and Hughes training with Hall, I say right now Hughes has inside track.  Can't wait for June!

• Like 1

Yeah i voted Kakko simply cause this seemed like Patrick vs Hischier all over again.

What really helped me picking Hischier over Patrick that year though is that i read a report saying Hischier was basically Zetterberg and Patrick was Eric Staal.... personally i'd pick Zetterberg all day long for the devils so that's how i made my decision.

This year... sounds like Hughes is basically a smaller Matthews? And Kakko... the only comparison i heard was Forsberg..... but you also always hear insane comparison... remember when Larsson was compared to Lidstrom? lol

After watching a bunch of videos and read everything i could find though i'm going back to Hughes though... he makes other players better and we'd be solid down the middle which is what you need

• Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i voted Kakko simply cause this seemed like Patrick vs Hischier all over again.

What really helped me picking Hischier over Patrick that year though is that i read a report saying Hischier was basically Zetterberg and Patrick was Eric Staal.... personally i'd pick Zetterberg all day long for the devils so that's how i made my decision.

This year... sounds like Hughes is basically a smaller Matthews? And Kakko... the only comparison i heard was Forsberg..... but you also always hear insane comparison... remember when Larsson was compared to Lidstrom? lol

After watching a bunch of videos and read everything i could find though i'm going back to Hughes though... he makes other players better and we'd be solid down the middle which is what you need

For me, I kind of like to think of Jack Hughes as Mitch Marner, Kaapo Kakko as Blake Wheeler. Both were 90+ point players this year, just different brands of producers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

I’m seeing way more Hughes = Patrick Kane and Kakko = Laine (although not quite that level of sniper) comparisons. 

It’s funny you bring up the Zetterberg comparison for Nico, as I was looking this morning at what people were saying right before that draft and I’ll I’m seeing is Zetterberg and Datysuk. I could have swore there was some comparisons to Bergeron, but I can’t find them if there were lol

It's insane this kid is in between both my son's ages.

Anyway, Nolan Patrick's injury history was most definitely a factor during that draft.  I read Hughes missed the World Juniors (was it?) with an injury.

What is his injury history?

In reference to the pic KITB just posted, what always gives me a chuckle is when these kids (and that's really what they are) slip on their draft jerseys upon reaching the podium, with no equipment to make them look bigger and stronger...they look any other 15-18 adolescent kid you see at a Devils game in the stands...usually not filled out yet and skinny and just looking so damned YOUNG...and yet, a guy like Hughes will almost certainly be playing in the NHL immediately, mixing it up against friggin' real MEN. 

And in Hughes' case, he was born on May 14, 2001.  The Devils were early in their ECF Finals against the Pens (up 1-0 for the series), on their way to reaching another SCF when he was born.  I remember it clearly and was quickly approaching my 31st birthday when that was happening.  And to Hughes, that might as well have been 50 years ago.  I have no idea where I was going with that one, but goddammit...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Heavy breathing intensifies....

I hope there’s no friction between him and Seney over the jersey number. I think the response from management would be something like “Ok Brett, you can have a Binghamton jersey with whatever number you like”. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In reference to the pic KITB just posted, what always gives me a chuckle is when these kids (and that's really what they are) slip on their draft jerseys upon reaching the podium, with no equipment to make them look bigger and stronger...they look any other 15-18 adolescent kid you see at a Devils game in the stands...usually not filled out yet and skinny and just looking so damned YOUNG...and yet, a guy like Hughes will almost certainly be playing in the NHL immediately, against friggin' real MEN. 

And in Hughes' case, he was born on May 14, 2001.  The Devils were early in their ECF Finals against the Pens (up 1-0 for the series), on their way to reaching another SCF when he was born.  I remember it clearly and was quickly approaching my 31st birthday when that was happening.  And to Hughes, that might as well been 50 years ago.  I have no idea where I was going with that one, but goddammit...

To me, it says that be next year’s #1 pick will possibly not have not been born at the time of the September 11th attacks. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Anyway, Nolan Patrick's injury history was most definitely a factor during that draft.  I read Hughes missed the World Juniors (was it?) with an injury.

He missed some games at the World Juniors, but still played.  Point per game if I recall.

I don't really have an opinion on which one I want but with Hughes being the projected #1 for years and that we learned he apparently skates with Hall already then I don't see us not taking him.

I already thought Hall was going to resign here but if we take Hughes I think it increases the odds to a 99.9% chance of signing Hall long term. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

He missed 3 games at the World Juniors for I believe a minor wrist injury, still came back from it though and played in a majority of USA's games and was point per game. Other than that he doesn't have any injury history of note, which is good as well.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And in Hughes' case, he was born on May 14, 2001.  The Devils were early in their ECF Finals against the Pens (up 1-0 for the series), on their way to reaching another SCF when he was born.  I remember it clearly and was quickly approaching my 31st birthday when that was happening.  And to Hughes, that might as well have been 50 years ago.  I have no idea where I was going with that one, but goddammit...

He was born literally the day before I graduated from college. I’m old lol.

Edited by MadDog2020

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

He was born literally the day before I graduated from college. I’m old lol.

One of Hughes' teammates this year is a 17-year-old kid born on Halloween in 2001.  His name?  Ryder Rolston.  Guess who his daddy is...yikes...

• Like 1