Schneider to be placed on waivers at 12 noon

Mitico12

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Can he really be worse than Cory's GAA of 4.59 and a SV% of .852? 

Probably not, but frankly I do not know.  I do remember us playing against him but I do not remember if he was terrible or good or anything in terms of details.  I haven't really thought about him at all until we traded for him.

• Like 1

It's hard to say anything based on last season. He was on one of the best regular season teams of all time so the stats are inflated. Now he's on this team so uh... don't expect the same results lol I'm expecting nothing but a little less than average goaltending which sadly is an improvement.

10 minutes ago, devils744 said:

It's hard to say anything based on last season. He was on one of the best regular season teams of all time so the stats are inflated. Now he's on this team so uh... don't expect the same results lol I'm expecting nothing but a little less than average goaltending which sadly is an improvement.

His GAA was 2.88 on that team. Has the potential to be at least a full goal more behind our (lack of) defense. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

What’s the deal with Domingue anyway? Granted he was on a powerhouse team, but how does a guy coming off a 21-5 season find himself without an NHL job? Save percentage was .908, I get that, but he was serviceable if nothing else. 

I mean, Keith Kinkaid has an NHL job...

Domingue isn't great, but he's likely better than our other recent options, aside from Blackwood.

Since the start of last season, there have been 71 goalies that have played in at least 10 games. Cory ranks 65th in Goals Saved Against Expected with a -14.85, Kinkaid is 69th with a -24.82. Louis Domingue in that statistic ranks 39th with a -1.46, which still isn't great but makes him a roughly average backup goaltender in that time frame, he's certainly a better option than Schneider at this point (and, by a lot, Kinkaid as well).

For the record, Blackwood is 27th with a +3.36, which I'd say is pretty good considering his nightmarish start to the season before this latest stretch.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20182019&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=all&score=all&stdoi=g&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S&loc=B&toi=600&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder what the end game here is for Cory. Clearly, he needs to play in order to get his sh!t in order, at this point- likely to become tradeable even at a retention. So, we can put him down in the A, but is that a place where you can really build your new reputation? If anything, he gets brought back up to NJ and they only play him sparingly around Blackwood -and this is assuming Dominuge doesn't win the back up job...so now what? How can Cory assemble any body of work that would be even bring up the possibility of a trade partner? 

Is it possible that Cory can move on loan to the KHL, Swiss or SHL for the rest of the year, if he has a starting job there? Is this even a thing?

Edited by HellOnICE

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

...but how does a guy coming off a 21-5 season find himself without an NHL job?

Andrei Vasilevski $$$!

Dude goes to $9M+ next few years.

'Ning weren't going to be paying Domingue on top of that!

4 minutes ago, Masked Fan said:

Andrei Vasilevski $$$!

I understand why they didn't keep him, but surely SOMEONE must have had an opening for a guy who went 21-5. Or not. Like I said, it's probably artificially inflated. 

Then again, KK's stats were gross and he has an NHL job. 

4 minutes ago, Masked Fan said:

Andrei Vasilevski $$$!

Curtis McElhinney, who's their current backup, makes more than Domingue, so the cap prudent move would have been to keep Domingue as their backup to save a tiny bit of cap space. Really what it comes down to is Tampa saw McElhinney as a more reliable option (which they're probably right about) and chose to spend a little more so they could find Vasy some more rest throughout the season. I do think Domingue is a somewhat capable NHL backup, but Tampa's decision to get a new backup was more ability based rather than cap based.

Domingue stinks.  he might be better than Cory has been this season, but that's not saying much.  Based upon Hynes' comments, it seems like the plan is to play Blackwood as much as possible over the next several weeks, with Louie getting the odd start here or there.  Looks like the long term play is to send Cory down to get him some game action to see if they can straighten him out and get his head right by playing a bunch in Bingo.  He clearly was a liability and wasn't going to play here in NJ, so sending him down is the right move.  They hope that he can get things right so they bring him back up later in the season.  Where they go from there, who knows.  A buyout will hurt as he still has 2 more years after this one on his deal.     

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Domingue stinks.  he might be better than Cory has been this season, but that's not saying much.  Based upon Hynes' comments, it seems like the plan is to play Blackwood as much as possible over the next several weeks, with Louie getting the odd start here or there.  Looks like the long term play is to send Cory down to get him some game action to see if they can straighten him out and get his head right by playing a bunch in Bingo.  He clearly was a liability and wasn't going to play here in NJ, so sending him down is the right move.  They hope that he can get things right so they bring him back up later in the season.  Where they go from there, who knows.  A buyout will hurt as he still has 2 more years after this one on his deal.     

Maybe you do what Sutter did with Clemmensen and Weekes...give Blackwood #1 use and the tougher games, and give Domingue the "easier" teams, and just see how it goes. 

I posted the buyout hits...factoring in Kovy's recapture hit and Cammalleri's final buyout season, the Devils will have almost $4 million in dead money in 2020-21 (but also gain back $4 million out of $6 million from Cory being bought out...this will also be true for 2021-22).  Then it's $2,250,000 in dead money from 2021-22 through 2023-24.   

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

I wonder what the end game here is for Cory. Clearly, he needs to play in order to get his sh!t in order, at this point- likely to become tradeable even at a retention. So, we can put him down in the A, but is that a place where you can really build your new reputation? If anything, he gets brought back up to NJ and they only play him sparingly around Blackwood -and this is assuming Dominuge doesn't win the back up job...so now what? How can Cory assemble any body of work that would be even bring up the possibility of a trade partner? 

Is it possible that Cory can move on loan to the KHL, Swiss or SHL for the rest of the year, if he has a starting job there? Is this even a thing?

It's possible that Cory could be loaned to one of those leagues, but he would have to agree to it, and I really don't see the upside - he's 33 years old and has been playing in North America his entire career.

The goal is not to build up Cory's value but to let him get starts somewhere and hopefully work on what's wrong with his game.  A buyout is pretty much inevitable - trading him at 50% retention is unlikely to be anything anyone is interested in unless they are sending a really atrocious contract back.

2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Curtis McElhinney, who's their current backup, makes more than Domingue, 

Yeah? I saw McE was less than Dom by a few hundred G's and signed thru next year. That was my figuring. That, and of course, they like what they see in McE.

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Domingue with the rare dark pad set. Also I believe from what I read he's only the 3rd right-hand catching goalie in Devils history 

298E9BB5-88FF-481F-8E4A-FF7AC0769F12.jpeg

14DC6509-0A17-4B5B-8732-4E6824C2BA9E.jpeg

I think Cory being demoted leaves him no choice now. Sink or swim. And if he doesn't do well, were stuck with that fat contract. I guess we eat it, ugh

I can't remember any right-handed catching goalies in my Devils' lifetime, and I can't remember any right-handed catching goalies remaining in the league.  I know there's one I'm not thinking of still kicking around somewhere who isn't Domingue, but it's less common than it used to be.

EDIT:  H-R says Mike McKenna was a right-catching goalie.  It also says Domingue isn't, so who knows what it knows.

24 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Domingue with the rare dark pad set. Also I believe from what I read he's only the 3rd right-hand catching goalie in Devils history 

Based on what I was able to dig up, the other two were Chad Erickson, in 1991-92 (I actually remember seeing him, as he wore #30 before Marty, but I didn't remember what hand he caught with)...interesting lil' factoid...his last NHL game (he played all of two) came two days before Marty's NHL debut.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand the other RH catching goalie in Devils history was...

Hannu Kamppuri.  He won one game in the NHL (out of 13, all with the Devils) and had a 5.11 GAA and .845 save%...he played back in 1985 (I was following the Devils back then but I don't remember ANYTHING about him).  Maybe he should've tried catching with the other hand.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Based on what I was able to dig up, the other two were Chad Erickson (I actually remember seeing him, as he wore #30 before Marty, but I didn't remember what hand he caught with), and...

Hannu Kamppuri.  He won one game in the NHL (out of 13, all with the Devils) and had a 5.11 GAA and .845 save%...he played back in 1985 (I was following the Devils back then but I don't remember ANYTHING about him).  Maybe he should've tried catching with the other hand.

Also, Lindsey Middlebrook, and he was terrible. Oy