New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Please don't make this about race. It has nothing to do with it

There is also a difference between Duclair & Erne... sorry but hey... 
It's not because you feel that the "race card" is used way too often that this is not a relevant card sometimes... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moustic said:

There is also a difference between Duclair & Erne... sorry but hey... 
It's not because you feel that the "race card" is used way too often that this is not a relevant card sometimes... 

Never said its not relevant at times, im sure there's cases of that. But in all the cases we discussed here none had anything to do with it.

Way way back when Marchand was drafted. He played here in Moncton and in the Q, so i knew he was a peace of sh!t and i brought that up. Nobody said a thing and well we all know now it was true.

Then well same thing with Duclair. Heard the same thing constantly about him in the Q and when he was drafted i basically said the same thing than i said about Marchand. But then right away someone obviously brought up the race card and that it was probably exaggerated. Well again, the evidences are there. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

It cannot be denied that the label of having a bad attitude gets applied to black players a LOT. I’m not saying that’s why the label gets applied, but if you look at who gets that label, a good portion of the time, it’s a black guy. 

It also tends to stick with them forever. Duclair, Ho Sang, Subban, Aliu. It seems that once that label is applied, they can't ever shake it. Its hard to get anywhere when you have that tag before you even enter the room. Whereas Merrill and Erne, who were examples earlier, get the "boys will be boys" treatment

And this is not aimed at Sterio, btw. This has been a hockey media issue for a long time. Just look at how Byfields game was picked apart leading to the draft. 

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It cannot be denied that the label of having a bad attitude gets applied to black players a LOT. I’m not saying that’s why the label gets applied, but if you look at who gets that label, a good portion of the time, it’s a black guy. 

I mean i can think of multiple players around the league who dealt with that on various level. the Flyers dealt with Richard, Lupul, carter and Hartnell. They were all traded because of that. Patrick Roy, Seguin, Pat Kane, Maxim Lapierre, Brad Marchand, Phaneuf, Avery, Hextal, Belfour, Rask... they all made very questionable decisions on many occasions and many of them were traded for it or called out quite a bit and still still are in some cases. They all mostly carry that bad attitude reputation.

I still hate Patrick Roy to this day and it's been decade lol 

It's unfortunate that there's not too many NHL player of colour but it's also undeniable that many of the most prominent players all did stuff not helping their reputation, they could be jack hughes twin... doesn't change their actions. I mean we don't need to talk about Subban... Duclair, Josh Ho-Sang... i mean... i don't care what colour you are... if you post pictures of yourself shirtless with stacks of money on your back doing pushups...  or talking into a stack of cash as if it's a cell phone. It's hard to be more arrogant than that. And that then you get arrested, skil a bill at the restaurant and we hear a bunch of rumours about your attitude... most people will believe it lol And that's E Kane i'm talking about.

I guess there's an argument to make that its harder for them to shake it off in the public eye like it's been said here. And that there's probably media biased towards them, we can pretend racism doesnt exist. But actions remain actions and knowing they have a mountain to climb, many of those guys are not helping their cases at all.

Edited by SterioDesign

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

None of those people had reputations like the guys we are discussing, to the point where they can’t even catch on somewhere despite having talent.

And, multiple of them are good examples of how guys can benefit from a change of scenery.

do you think they can catch somewhere only because they have a reputation... or because they are acting like said reputation?

Most of the teams letting Duclair go were mostly team who reaaally needed his production and he was doing actually pretty well. it's hard not to assume that they traded him because of off ice stuff. the Sens were never in a situation where they can just walk away from a guy who just got 40pts for them. 

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Merrill and a few team mates were accused of sexually harassing some girls. Duclair supposedly had "attitude problems" because he didn't get along with coach Patrick Roy when he was on the Remparts. He and Erne were suspended together but I don't remember Erne getting tagged with the attitude thing. 

Not getting along with Patrick Roy seems pretty normal to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Wow they lowballed my boy. 

Imagine what they were offering while he wasn’t agreeing to sign....

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

do you think they can catch somewhere only because they have a reputation... or because they are acting like said reputation?

Most of the teams letting Duclair go were mostly team who reaaally needed his production and he was doing actually pretty well. it's hard not to assume that they traded him because of off ice stuff. the Sens were never in a situation where they can just walk away from a guy who just got 40pts for them. 

I didn’t express an opinion on that. Just that most of the guys who get that treatment aren’t white. 

• Like 1

I think it's pretty fair and another example of when you hold out without much if any leverage at all you rarely if ever hit the jackpot. I would imagine they ended up pretty close to the starting point here.  I think Jesper still has a lot to prove and if he does he should be able to cash in on his next deal. He hasn't earned more than what he got here imo at this time.

• Like 4

Yeah, this is a very fair “show me” deal.  Now we’ll see if he can make some significant progress.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, this is a very fair “show me” deal.  Now we’ll see if he can make some significant progress.

I don’t think it’s even that, I think it’s actually a fair deal. I think on a “show me” deal you actually take less that you are “worth” for a season in hopes that you do well and then get a fair contract the next year. 

This one is already fair. 

On 1/9/2021 at 2:31 PM, jagknife said:

He never should have signed, to begin with.

Could I ask you, who's fault was it that there was this signing? I am not looking for an argument. I think if your statement is true, it is not Crawford's fault. He was covering his bases, giving himself more options. Fitzgerald, on the other hand, should have done his homework better. I suspect that the signing of a good veteran backup goalie was too good to be true and timely for Fitzgerald. "Please sign." What do you think?

1 hour ago, Brewskies said:

Could I ask you, who's fault was it that there was this signing? I am not looking for an argument. I think if your statement is true, it is not Crawford's fault. He was covering his bases, giving himself more options. Fitzgerald, on the other hand, should have done his homework better. I suspect that the signing of a good veteran backup goalie was too good to be true and timely for Fitzgerald. "Please sign." What do you think?

I honestly think this is typical NJ bad luck.

"Yeah I think I could eek out a few more seasons as a backup!"

*Gets moved to NJ out of nowhere*

".......on second thought..."

• Like 1

I mean i'm trying to put myself in Crawford's shoes... 

The dude gave up almost 8million dollars for being a backup on a bad / rebuilding team. Only having to play like what? 25 games top this year and maybe 40 top next season... 

So he must really but really didn't feel he could or wanted to do it anymore. That's still a lot of money and he's not a guy who's going to cash in as an ex NHL superstar on commercials and sh!t.