Coaching issues and how to fix them

RunninWithTheDevil

I think it's obvious at this point that Nas and Recchi need to go. But my main question is - who do we replace them with? Float some names, discuss.  I wonder how many $$$s it would take to pry Tom Renney away from Hockey Canada. I don't see it happening ever and more importantly I couldn't see him wanting to be just an assistant

• Like 1

This is the fair question (who actually come into replace the Twin Nothings)…I don’t pretend to know who’s out there, but I don’t think too many fans know what potential assistants are lying in the weeds.  If Fitz actually puts those two out of their misery, I’m guessing we’ll be surprised by who actually replaces them.

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I kinda wish they’d have let Ruff choose his own coaching staff instead of saddling him with these guys. 

That's the weird thing uh.

You'd think as a veteran HC coming in into a situation and you're given your assistant coaches. You'd be like "okay i'll take them but if it doesnt work i want my men (whoever they are). And well, they are simply not bringing in the results. They simply aren't and NAS straight up never brought results. He's been bad the whole time he was here. I truly but truly don't understand how he still has a job.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

You'd think as a veteran HC coming in into a situation and you're given your assistant coaches. You'd be like "okay i'll take them but if it doesnt work i want my men (whoever they are). And well, they are simply not bringing in the results. They simply aren't and NAS straight up never brought results. He's been bad the whole time he was here. I truly but truly don't understand how he still has a job.

It’s absolutely mystifying in every way. He was a trash player, and he’s a trash coach. I have no idea what he’s done to earn this amount of rope.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I have a sick feeling Fitz will bring back Nas and Recchi next year.

Yeah you said that before. It’s not happening. If this sh!t keeps up, heads are rolling. Fitzgerald said he wants meaningful hockey in March. Something’s gotta give.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s absolutely mystifying in every way. He was a trash player, and he’s a trash coach. I have no idea what he’s done to earn this amount of rope.

“But he’s loved by the guys!”

Couldn't care less, this team doesn’t need to be coddled anymore, they need to learn consistency and accountability. 

• Like 4

While Nas and Recchi have obviously had to go for some time now, I am really starting to sour on Ruff like I did with Hynes.  Last night was one of past several games where the team looks completely out of it despite yet another "punishment practice" from Ruff.  Beyond this issue you have his weird coaches challenges he is taking plus the questionable line combos like putting Hughes on the wing.

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I’ve always been of the belief that you hire the coach and then let him make the coaching decisions, including who he chooses for the coaching staff. If you don’t trust your head coach to make those decisions, why even hire him? 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I kinda wish they’d have let Ruff choose his own coaching staff instead of saddling him with these guys. 

I get the idea of showing Nas some loyalty - he was a good solider, stepped into the interim role and then fell in line when a new permanent HC was hired.

But that only goes so far.. the team is failing miserably in his area of responsibility so.. time to go.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I get the idea of showing Nas some loyalty - he was a good solider, stepped into the interim role and then fell in line when a new permanent HC was hired.

But that only goes so far.. the team is failing miserably in his area of responsibility so.. time to go.

Loyalty to nASS should have ended when he clearly lost the team and was removed from his position. You don’t get promoted then demoted then keep your job in the same organization. Everyone already knows you couldn’t hack it so why the hell should they care what you have to say. It’s running an organization (sports or not) 101.

Regardless of the good he’s done thus far, this simple fact is proving Fitz is failing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Can we send Lindy down to Utica and bring up Dineen?

Yeah I'm done with ALL the staff at this point including Lindy and I like the guy, but he's gotta get his ass out of 1985 and stop playing fourth-liners who add no offense just to win faceoffs (McLeod) or be subpar goons (Geertsen).  Not to mention shifting all of our franchise centers over to wing just to get McLeod and Boqvist more icetime, which isn't exactly working for Hughes and Mercer either.

Edited by NJDevs4978