Damon Severson to the Columbus Blue Jackets for 3rd Rnd

Devilsfan118

5 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

What's the rationale for Columbus, doing a sign-and-trade with a pending UFA? I can't read that Star Ledger story, which maybe explains it.

My guess is it gives them the ability to sign him without him being able to compare other offers plus the ability to add the 8th year. That being said he got good money and term. I’m not sure what else he would have gotten on the open market 

7 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Good on Fitz for getting a pick out of CBJ for him. Exactly the kind of salary and term we were trying to avoid giving him. 8 years is too much for us to give and that salary is a little high.  

Even only a few years at that AAV would've made no sense for the Devils...there was just NO reason to hang onto Seves, given Luke and Nemec, and the other guys who will be getting theirs.  He was simply expendable.

40 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

That contract is going to age like milk, I can't believe they gave him 8 years.

Great deal for Damon and im glad we benefited from it, i hope Hughes can step in and replace him quickly. Hughes looked pretty good from a small sample that we got but we all know development takes time. Just dont want our D to take a step back

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Let’s hope neither Blackwood or regular wood are here next season. Id like to say we need to replace woods grit but he doesn’t even bring a whole lot of that anymore either. 

I like the idea of Ross Coulton coming in and or Nolan Foote replacing Wood. Lazar was okay on the left too when we saw him there too. Clarke could get a shot there too. 

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

it's about 3 years too long. He has a good track record for playing games, though, which is why he was able to get 8.

Yeah said it before but if this was a five-year deal for the BJs, no criticism here.  But there would probably be more teams after him at only five years.

Columbus seemed eager to blow everyone else out of the market but my beef is that I don't think they needed to do that.  I think a 6 or 7 year UFA offer would've gotten it done.  Seves will be 36 years old in his final season there...who knows what he'll be by then.  I smell future buyout candidate with a year or two left on his deal...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Great deal for Damon and im glad we benefited from it, i hope Hughes can step in and replace him quickly. Hughes looked pretty good from a small sample that we got but we all know development takes time. Just dont want our D to take a step back

Even if it hurts temporarily, Hughes looks like he's going to be an absolute stud.  His upside is massive.  And there's Nemec of course.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1667161155251367937

Damon Severson and NJ are working on a sign and trade to Columbus. 8x$6.25M

Say hello to MB3. 
Two years ago or something like that we did argue about Severson future deal. 

Fair deal, market level. Thank, Sevs. You were good, we cant save all of our pieces. 

Now Jackets have great top-4
Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek. 

What would have been the Devils' 3rd-round pick (given up for Marino) is 90th OA.  So basically they move up 10 spots in the third and only had to perform a sign-and-trade for a guy who was gone anyway to do it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh my that is a TERRIBLE move by Columbus.  Columbus is signing up for Seves' Age 29-36 years?!  The AAV is about what I expected for a UFA like Seves but EIGHT YEARS?!  Imagine THAT GUY when he declines?  Wow that's bad.

I actually like this deal.   36 is tail end of servicable, but 6.25mm in year 8?   That will be cheap as the cap grows.

15 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I actually like this deal.   36 is tail end of servicable, but 6.25mm in year 8?   That will be cheap as the cap grows.

I have no issue with the AAV; I wouldn’t want to pay him that much myself, but he was absolutely getting that as a UFA.  But he’s up-and-down and still has way too many WTF?! moments, especially for a vet who’s coming up on 30 quickly.  Even if the hit itself isn’t awful, the idea of a declining Seves making that kind of coin is scary.

As long as Seves can be about what he’s been all along, the first 3-4 years of his deal shouldn’t be too bad…though I expect he’ll infuriate the Columbus faithful as much as he did here.  Especially since he CAN look pretty good for stretches.  He’ll just never fully turn the corner. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

A couple of side thoughts:

How nice is it to be in a position where you don't have to take the kind of gamble that Columbus just did?  Sure maybe in the end Seves works out for them, but there's certainly enough red flags that signing a guy like him for eight years doesn't feel remotely like some slamdunk.  If the idea over there is that they just landed themselves a legit Top 4 defenseman, well, there's plenty of evidence here with the Devils that suggests that no team that's trying to legit contend would feel comfortable with that assessment.  

So what will Graves get on the open market?  I'm guessing 5 x $5 million.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I figured Sevo would get a raise in about that area. It's the term that surprises me. I'm guessing CBJ moved now to give him the 8th year and keep him off the market where they might have to pay him more to come to CBJ.

Let's be honest, I doubt Jarmo is still going to be around to have to deal with the 7th and 8th years of the deal.   That being said, I don't feel like Damon is the kind of guy whose game is going to fall off a cliff in his mid 30's.  If Jiricek pans out and they can keep Severson safely away from their top pairing, this will be a decent deal for them.   

8 years!! 8!!! Madness. 

Wishing him all the best, he has been frustrating, at times terrible and others absolutely solid, never know what you are going to get with Damon.

I am thrilled to get anything for him as well. We have so much in the system that we can afford to lose him at this stage. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Say hello to MB3. 
Two years ago or something like that we did argue about Severson future deal. 

Fair deal, market level. Thank, Sevs. You were good, we cant save all of our pieces. 

Now Jackets have great top-4
Werenski-Severson
Provorov-Jiricek. 

That top 4 is all on the good side of 30. Just need all four to stay healthy and CBJ shouldn't be as porous as they were this year.  Don't forget Adam Boquist too. 

Also, incoming Timo Meier number change. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A couple of side thoughts:

How nice is it to be in a position where you don't have to take the kind of gamble that Columbus just did?  Sure maybe in the end Seves works out for them, but there's certainly enough red flags that signing a guy like him for eight years doesn't feel remotely like some slamdunk.  If the idea over there is that they just landed themselves a legit Top 4 defenseman, well, there's plenty of evidence here with the Devils that suggests that no team that's trying to legit contend would feel comfortable with that assessment.  

So what will Graves get on the open market?  I'm guessing 5 x $5 million.  

Somebody will see the big body and the mobility and give him 6m and an extra year I'm sure. All the more reason to let him walk. I like both defensemen, and we could probably keep one of the two, but they are just worth too much on the open market and after Graves playoff performance, I think we will be okay.