Lindy Ruff RELIEVED Of duties, Green Temp Coach

Colorado Rockies 1976

27 minutes ago, titans04 said:

This is an example of why to me a ton of this stuff is meaningless, or cute if meaningless hurts peoples feelings. That's not my intention in any way. What's fun losing, being out of a playoff position, giving up the first goal how many times, sh!tty GT, defense, coach, all with the GM hiding in the deepest of rabbit holes?  But hell yeah we sure are fun to watch.  Meanwhile 4 of the top 5 teams in pts (I stopped looking at that point) are dead center or even left of center.  Those poor fanbases must be suffering and have no idea what they're missing out on.

Wake me up when we're less fun to watch.

IMG_2527.gif

• Haha 4

Teams who create and yield a lot of chances are fun… if you’re a neutral fan.

As a fan of one of those teams, though? To quote the great Doc Emrick, it’s helter skelter out there.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Teams who create and yield a lot of chances are fun… if you’re a neutral fan.

As a fan of one of those teams, though? To quote the great Doc Emrick, it’s helter skelter out there.

This is why I'm really hoping the next coach brings in a system that might be a little less "fun" to watch, but is far less chaotic, not to mention is able to be tweaked as needed, depending on how any given game is evolving, or who the opponent is.

I think at this point even the players wouldn't mind a few less personal glamour numbers if they know that their coach is putting them in a position to win the majority of their games.  I think if asked off the record, I've gotta think more than a few of them have no idea what Lindy's vision even is anymore.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is why I'm really hoping the next coach brings in a system that might be a little less "fun" to watch, but is far less chaotic, not to mention is able to be tweaked as needed, depending on how any given game is evolving, or who the opponent is.

I think at this point even the players wouldn't mind a few less personal glamour numbers if they know that their coach is putting them in a position to win the majority of their games.  I think if asked off the record, I've gotta think more than a few of them have no idea what Lindy's vision even is anymore.  

Also, for all the discussion around the "defensive zone tweaking" Lindy made on or around the All Star break, the Devils are actually giving up higher quality chances post-break (2.89 xGA/60) versus before (2.51 xGA/60). Their rate of actual goals against is lower, sure, but that's because they've gotten better goaltending. 

• Like 2

Context is just as important in statistics as the data. It's not uncommon for there to be times where the numbers don't match the context of what is going on. It doesn't mean all stats are meaningless, stupid, or useless. Sometimes models can be useful and sometimes they aren't....and sometimes they're just unnecessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Context is just as important in statistics as the data. It's not uncommon for there to be times where the numbers don't match the context of what is going on. It doesn't mean all stats are meaningless, stupid, or useless. Sometimes models can be useful and sometimes they aren't....and sometimes they're just unnecessary.

@nmigliore has never shied away from bringing metrics into discussion, and I don't mind that, because if anything, doing so helps to show us how often the eye tests match the metrics.  Of course relying strictly on either one will leave out parts of the story; that's why even if I don't always subscribe to metrics, I like that they can both fill in blanks, or in some cases, help to predict positive or negative regression.  I'm definitely not one to dismiss metrics outright (and obviously you're open to them as part of the discussion as well).

• Like 1

Just listened to Lindy's post-game and I gotta say I am sick and frakkin' tired of "comes down to puck management."  No sh!t Sherlock. How about it comes down to a frakkin' system.  Think you can find one?

• Like 9
  • Angry 1

Not that anyone has used this argument in a little while, but I truly doubt the owners are sitting in the way of this happening.

This wreaks of Fitz' blindfaith loyalty that was learned from Shero.

Harris just spent the weekend at the combine with his team's scouts and sitting in on interviews. He's also allowed Fitz to spend up to the cap and even take on money for assets. Firing a coach would be a drop in the bucket to them, not to mention, had it actually been done in a timely manner, it could have given the team a small boost to be in the hunt instead of dead to rights.

Its 530am, do you know where your general manager is?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Not that anyone has used this argument in a little while, but I truly doubt the owners are sitting in the way of this happening.

Harris just spent the weekend at the combine with his team's scouts and sitting in on interviews. He's also allowed Fitz to spend up to the cap and even take on money for assets. Firing a coach would be a drop in the bucket to them, not to mention, had it actually been done in a timely manner, it could have given the team a small boost to be in the hunt instead of dead to rights.

I agree.  I don't think there's any chance the owners are somehow making Fitz keep Lindy.  They strike me as pretty hands off, and would let Fitz do his thing. It's not the owner's job to hire the head coach - it's their job to hire a GM who knows how to hire the right coach. And if that GM doesn't know, well then he gets fired. Simple as that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StarDew said:

Just listened to Lindy's post-game and I gotta say I am sick and frakkin' tired of "comes down to puck management."  No sh!t Sherlock. How about it comes down to a frakkin' system.  Think you can find one?

It's almost as if he is trying to deflect blame from himself with these types of responses.  

"The players just aren't executing and doing what we're telling them to do!  They're not managing the puck like we're telling them to, it's their fault not ours!"

Like fvck off.  Adapt your archaic system (again) to better fit the team you dinosaur.

• Like 3

If he isn't fired today he's here for the rest of the season.

We are also 5 days from riding out the trio of Swiss cheese goalies.

Either way, hopefully we can all accept our fate by Friday and begin researching draft picks and practicing world peace.

Hmm did I take too much Xanax this morning I wonder 🤔.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Either way, hopefully we can all accept our fate by Friday and begin researching draft picks and practicing world peace.

Researching top prospects we won't be able to add to the team anyway, because they'll be headed somewhere else in exchange for a goalie who can hopefully be serviceable for two years. If this team could figure out how to draft and groom an NHL caliber goalie it'd be a miracle. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It's almost as if he is trying to deflect blame from himself with these types of responses.  

"The players just aren't executing and doing what we're telling them to do!  They're not managing the puck like we're telling them to, it's their fault not ours!"

Like fvck off.  Adapt your archaic system (again) to better fit the team you dinosaur.

We decided on Daws as a group.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

We aren't making the playoffs, I've already made some plans for May that I was waiting on to see how the season went. I booked them last night. 

I also don't know how Lindy survives the week especially if we get blown out tomorrow and the crowd is chanting fire Lindy all game and possibly all week. It's gonna be to the point where it's just gonna have to happen. 

Would also love to see that phony Jake Reynolds get asked by some reporters how he can say with a straight face that season tickets justify a 9% increase but all these clowns on that side of the front office always get a free pass in the media here.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jagknife said:

Twilight Zone Getting Weird GIF by MOODMAN

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

We aren't making the playoffs, I've already made some plans for May that I was waiting on to see how the season went. I booked them last night. 

I also don't know how Lindy survives the week especially if we get blown out tomorrow and the crowd is chanting fire Lindy all game and possibly all week. It's gonna be to the point where it's just gonna have to happen. 

Would also love to see that phony Jake Reynolds get asked by some reporters how he can say with a straight face that season tickets justify a 9% increase but all these clowns on that side of the front office always get a free pass in the media here.

I’d love to see them give up another early goal, fall behind another goal and then fail on a critical powerplay just to hear the boos from the crowd. I hope they are massacred.

• Like 1