GDT: The 'It Barely Matters" Edition - 3/14/24 Devils @ Stars 8:00pm MSGN2

NJDfan1711

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils won 6-2…lemme see who scored…

Jack…noooooo

Nico…nooooo

Jesper?  Not him either?

Tierney?  NOSEK?!  What?!?

Nico did have the primary assist on Mercer’s goal, so he wasn’t completely shut out, but it’s definitely weird that none of the Big 3 found the net.  Maybe this weekend…

Edited by ButlerBulldog
Typo
  • Like 2

Thru all the crap, they are only 4 points out of a WC spot.

I think Buffalo is the team that’s gonna roar up and catch that last spot, but dammit……

Can the Devils finally get fvckin hot and steal that last spot?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

I think Buffalo is the team that’s gonna roar up and catch that last spot, but dammit……

I doubt it.  The issue isn’t just the point deficit but also the number of teams ahead of them.  To leapfrog all of them, they’d have to win several in a row, and they’re not good enough to do that.

• Like 2

Timo is on an absolute tear lately. I have to say, I was quite worried about him fitting in here up until recently. I thought he was either injured or just a poor fit for the team. I don't think we have ever really seen this player until this recent surge. Last year, when he was "doing the right things but not getting rewarded", I still wasn't quite seeing it. But now he's looking like the player we thought we were getting: a real play driver who can generate a ton of offense on his own. That itself will be like an off-season addition as we head into next season.

Nice to see Mercer and Holtz get rewarded tonight. Those are two guys who have been due. Dawson using those good hands in tight was great. And of course Holtz had to go top corner on a wide open net - just to be sure.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I doubt it.  The issue isn’t just the point deficit but also the number of teams ahead of them.  To leapfrog all of them, they’d have to win several in a row, and they’re not good enough to do that.

Definitely a tall order, but not completely unrealistic. Still difficult to think this team will do it, with the way this season has gone. But most of the other teams in the mix have been slumping, too. Que the Lloyd Christmas gif!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

With Allen I think so

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Can’t remember Jack ever having 0 SOG in a game. They need to seriously consider shutting him down for the remainder of the season if he’s that not right. 

Yeah, he didn’t look like himself at all.  I’m not a fan of the way the coaching staff has been “hiding” him at wing to protect him.  If he can’t play his normal position, better to shut him down and let him prepare for next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Yeah, he didn’t look like himself at all.  I’m not a fan of the way the coaching staff has been “hiding” him at wing to protect him.  If he can’t play his normal position, better to shut him down and let him prepare for next season.

Where did they say they were hiding him? I've never heard this. Nor have I heard anything about him being hurt.

He's still kind of trash at faceoffs. That's why you're seeing Haula in the top 6 still. He almost had an assist on the Mercer attempt where Otter stoned him.

Edited by RizzMB30

8 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Where did they say they were hiding him? I've never heard this. Nor have I heard anything about him being hurt.

He's still kind of trash at faceoffs. That's why you're seeing Haula in the top 6 still. He almost had an assist on the Mercer attempt where Otter stoned him.

None of the coaches has ever said they’re hiding him, but shortly before he was fired, Lindy acknowledged that Jack wasn’t 100%.  Since Jack isn’t as effective at wing, I surmised that his playing there is for his protection from further injury.  Of course, it’s also possible the coaching staff comprises a bunch of idiots who don’t know what they’re doing (not Sarge, but certainly everyone else).

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

It’s crazy, but the Devils are somehow in the mix. Just try and win some games and let the chips fall where they may. No pressure at this point. House money. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Devils01 said:

With Allen I think so

With either of our new goalies they have a prayer. They can actually stop pucks and kick away rebounds. Even with my chicken little comment towards Allen after the 2nd, and my outright disdain for Rogalski, both give us a better chance than our other three mentally broken ones.

that being said, the number of teams out of the hunt catching a groove is disheartening.

fitz should have acted sooner, and the damn islanders keep getting loser points to find their way in the hunt.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nessus said:

Timo is on an absolute tear lately. I have to say, I was quite worried about him fitting in here up until recently. I thought he was either injured or just a poor fit for the team. I don't think we have ever really seen this player until this recent surge. Last year, when he was "doing the right things but not getting rewarded", I still wasn't quite seeing it. But now he's looking like the player we thought we were getting: a real play driver who can generate a ton of offense on his own. That itself will be like an off-season addition as we head into next season.

I mean it just goes to show what a coaching change can do for a player and, by extension, a team.

I don't want to make last night's great game into a negative, but, to me, it shows what this season could've been had Fitz made a coaching change and acquired a league-average goalie back before the all-star break. 

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s crazy, but the Devils are somehow in the mix. Just try and win some games and let the chips fall where they may. No pressure at this point. House money. 

Here I come being the wet blanket but... I mean, while they're still technically alive it's a looooooooooong shot.

But hey, it kinda gives us a reason to keep watching.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I think he looked completely fine yesterday. The dude has two guys on his line now, Nico and Mercer that are fully capable of contributing just as much as he is and I think he helped generate offense yesterday, even if it wasn't usually in his normal form by getting parks on net and trying to do everything. 

I saw him still skating well and it looked like he easily had his legs, but instead of just trying to drive between 4 or 5 players and throw a puck on net, he was passing more, dumping the puck in deep, forcing it along the boards to keep the pressure on, etc. 

I'm not saying he's 100%, but I didn't see anything yesterday from him that concerned me. 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The fact they’re somehow STILL only four points out just makes me more annoyed at these fvckfaces for their lack of urgency all around - Fitz, the staff and the players 

The fact they ARE only four points out- after all the bullsh!t that’s happened this season- speaks to the level of talent on the roster. There is plenty of talent. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The fact they’re somehow STILL only four points out just makes me more annoyed at these fvckfaces for their lack of urgency all around - Fitz, the staff and the players 

Makes you think about all those dropped points to the Ducks, Sharks, Blue Jackets, Mtl. Such a damn shame because those are easy points in the bag with appropriate coaching or half-adequate goaltending.

• Like 4

I would be ecstatic if the Devils could somehow secure a playoff berth despite the difficulties of this season, but I’m somewhat apprehensive that if they make a late-season run, Fitz will decide to retain Green as coach for next season.  I’m hoping he’s learned from the Lindy debacle and recognizes the importance of finding the best possible coach lead this team as opposed to opting for a more convenient solution.

13 minutes ago, devlman said:

Makes you think about all those dropped points to the Ducks, Sharks, Blue Jackets, Mtl. Such a damn shame because those are easy points in the bag with appropriate coaching or half-adequate goaltending.

That coupled with the fact that the Isles are really only in the hunt because they lost so many OT games

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I would be ecstatic if the Devils could somehow secure a playoff berth despite the difficulties of this season, but I’m somewhat apprehensive that if they make a late-season run, Fitz will decide to retain Green as coach for next season.  I’m hoping he’s learned from the Lindy debacle and recognizes the importance of finding the best possible coach lead this team as opposed to opting for a more convenient solution.

Don't see it happening...last night wasn't exactly encouraging...look, a four-goal win is always nice and it's great to see guys like Timo looking better, but the WAY the Devils got that win was far from impressive, really.  Anyone see Tierney and Nosek scoring in the same game anytime soon?  Not to mention that from the second period on, the Devils were outshot 30-14, and as the game went on were looking more and more like the team that gets hemmed in their own end pretty easily and seems powerless to do little about it, and gives up glorious looks.  Dallas had to be wondering how the hell they lost that game on the scoreboard as badly as they did.

Allen did a hell of a job last night after a rough start, but does anyone see he and Kahkonen playing like that every night?  He was under siege a LOT.

If they sweep both games this weekend, maybe that's the bare-bones beginning of surprising the hell outta all of us.  Let me see if that has actually happened come Monday morning.  

• Like 2