Rangers Hoping for Parise

msweet

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Can Rangers benefit from Devs’ signing Kovy?

The Devils today announced they had re-signed UFA Ilya Kovalchuk. No details on the contract - those will surely be available later today - but it goes without saying that retaining Kovalchuk will stress the Devils salary-cap situation. And it remains to be seen how Lou Lamoriello is going to work his magic next season when LW Zach Parise is due to become a restricted free agent. He’s due to make $3.125 million in 2010-11 and could be looking to double his salary.

It’s going to be tough to fit both Kovalchuk and Parise under the cap.

So, it’s fair to ask, can the Rangers potentially benefit from the Devils cap issues. Of course, the Rangers, right now, have little wiggle room but that could all change quickly if Wade Redden’s salary is deposited in Hartford (AHL). Parise is still a bit of a sore spot for Rangers’ fans after the Rangers passed on him in the 2003 draft to select Hugh Jessiman, who did not play in the NHL for the Rangers while Parise is already one of the league’s elite forwards.

Parise and Marian Gaborik on the top line would be a tough-to-stop combination, regardless of who’s in the middle

We might have department store mannequins at some positions, but I think Parise will be here permanently. And Lou will sign him before some rival (maybe in LA) thinks about signing him to an offer sheet as well.

I find it highly doubtful we lose Parise. I'm sure the thought of teaming with Parise was one of the fatcors that Kovi considered when he resigned and it wouldnt surprise me if Kovi is taking a backloaded contract to ensure we retain Zach.

Mike

The only way we lose Parise is if someone makes an absurd offer that we cannot match, in which case we get something like four first round picks, which I'll gladly take.

I figured Gross would blog something like that. He had Kovalchuk an "ex-Devil" or all but gone in one of his blog entries before July 1st. Seemed to enjoy that the Devils would lose him, too.

Gross likes playing to the crowd that follows his blog. I'm not a huge fan or supporter of TG, but i'd rather have him then Gross and one time i thought we needed a guy like Gross until i read him more.

We'll see what contracts Lou manages to unload. However, if Zach gets to unrestricted free agency, barring another inexplicable Sather signing, bet your bottom dollar that the Rangers will be all over that. It's not for nothing that Drury and Rozsival will be off their books at that point.

Hopefully we're laughing at this in the near future.

We'll see what contracts Lou manages to unload. However, if Zach gets to unrestricted free agency, barring another inexplicable Sather signing, bet your bottom dollar that the Rangers will be all over that. It's not for nothing that Drury and Rozsival will be off their books at that point.

Hopefully we're laughing at this in the near future.

That would require the Rangers to not make a stupid signing for 2 years...might be difficult for them.

this is redicilous to even think about ... you know that broduer is probably retiring soon so .. parise will take most of that money while hedberg can we a number 1 thats my opinion that a really good 1 but yeah

Hedberg is 37.

I don't get the panic. Next year, Langs and Arnott come off the books. That's 7.3 million right there. Add Parise's current hit of 3.125, and that's 10.425, 6 - 8 of which goes to Zach depending on contract length etc etc.