Cory Schneider Appreciation Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

this is turning into the cory's really pissing me off thread :doh1:  :dizzy:

I'm more going the other way...if this is what Cory can do on a poor team, imagine what he can do for a decent or good one?  Makes me hopeful that the playoff drought might not be that much longer.  

No, you articulated it fine.  A lot of Devils fans know that Cory won't be in the discussion, even if they're not saying it as much as you.  And the reasons are both obvious and not fair:  mediocre record, bad team.

He'll have to do what he's done in January and February through the rest of the year.  Out of the potential finalists, he has the least leeway.  It will likely take a third straight .940+ month in March for voters to overlook the "down" points that really have nothing at all to do with Cory. 

Cory has to do something big to get into the discussion because he is on a losing team. He can hit .930 and 2.15 GAA, he can maintain where he's at now and go on some sort of attention-getting shutout streak and hope the other goalies on top of the NHL falter, or obviously, if the Devils go on a miraculous win streak and nail the 8th spot, then he has a shot. Other than that, Holtby, Rinne, and Price are just putting up too good numbers on very good teams to not be the nominees. Price is in an especially good position, as he is playing for MTL, who like us, allows more shots per game than they take but are still a good team.

I'm more going the other way...if this is what Cory can do on a poor team, imagine what he can do for a decent or good one?  Makes me hopeful that the playoff drought might not be that much longer.  

I'll play advocate, just for discussion - the dig on Cory prior to being traded to NJ was that he wasn't good under pressure (ie, the playoffs).

There's literally no pressure right now.. these are glorified exhibition games for him at this point.  I wonder if he'll be as cool, calm and collected as he is now in, say, a game 7 scenario.  Or a "must-win" regular season game.

I'll play advocate, just for discussion - the dig on Cory prior to being traded to NJ was that he wasn't good under pressure (ie, the playoffs).

There's literally no pressure right now.. these are glorified exhibition games for him at this point.  I wonder if he'll be as cool, calm and collected as he is now in, say, a game 7 scenario.  Or a "must-win" regular season game.

Though there has never exactly been an epidemic of goalies collapsing under pressure (good goalies are good, period), this still wouldn't matter. You asses the player's value by what you see him do, not what he might or might not do. Cory has gone 150% beyond what was asked of him. You are getting the best goaltending in the league. Criticizing him for not doing well in a hypothetical game 7 scenario that doesn't exist is really unfair. That said, that this is the only thing anyone seems to be able to use against Cory (and I do know you are 'playing advocate') is just another sign of how good he has been.

Edited by Neb00rs

Hopefully we'll find out sooner than later.  Don't know how anyone can make much out of 10 playoff appearances and six starts over three seasons.  Nothing at all conclusive about how he handles pressure.

Couple of thoughts here:

- The Vezina Trophy is voted on by NHL GMs, so it's made up of 30 ballots with GMs not allowed voting for their own goalie.

- Carey Price and Pekka Rinne rightfully deserve to be 1st and 2nd on pretty much everyone's ballot. I expect Carey Price to sweep the East ballot with 1st place votes, and Rinne to do extremely well in the West. After that? Well I suppose we can argue which GM really hems and haws about a 3rd place vote, but does it really matter?

- Being an outstanding goalie on a bad team doesn't happen very often in hockey because the goalie has so much more value than say a pitcher that affects only 1 in 5 games which pretty much happens all the time in baseball. Generally, if you have a really good goalie having a great season, you can grab 1 of the 16 playoff spots.

- But that's not the case this year. Schneider is on pace to join his good friend Roberto Luongo as the 2nd goalie in NHL history to start 60+ games, have a save percentage greater than .925 and miss the playoffs. Luongo, then a Panther, finished the 03-04 season playing in 72 games with a .931 save percentage. He finished 3rd in voting, but there was much less competition than there was this year. Who won it? Martin Brodeur with his league leading 38 wins and 11 shutouts (out of the top 10 in save percentage).

Edited by devilsrule33

Fact is this. Cory Schneider during the 2014-2015 season is turning in the single greatest regular season goaltending performance in Devils history.

season isn't over yet. but with this team in front of him, and the quality of chances he's facing...Cory is out of his mind amazing.

Fact is this. Cory Schneider during the 2014-2015 season is turning in the single greatest regular season goaltending performance in Devils history.

season isn't over yet. but with this team in front of him, and the quality of chances he's facing...Cory is out of his mind amazing.

Cory has changed your mind, that's good.

Fact is this. Cory Schneider during the 2014-2015 season is turning in the single greatest regular season goaltending performance in Devils history.

It's definitely up there with a couple of the seasons Brodeur turned in coming out of the lock out when Lou was trotting out guys like Jim Fahey, Brad Lukowich and the crappy young version of Johnny Oduya on defense. Couldn't be happier with Schneider. Edited by Lateralous

would be fun for cory to get the nod but those awards can be major bullsh!t. When guys not playing the PK, not playing top competition and sheltered minutes wins the Norris for "best all around dman in the league"...  you faith goes out the window really. 

would be fun for cory to get the nod but those awards can be major bullsh!t. When guys not playing the PK, not playing top competition and sheltered minutes wins the Norris for "best all around dman in the league"... you faith goes out the window really.

True. The fact that Stevens never won a Norris is also kind of ridiculous. Although Lidstrom made that difficult.

True. The fact that Stevens never won a Norris is also kind of ridiculous. Although Lidstrom made that difficult.

Nah, it was Ray Borque that always got in Stevens' way, especially in '94. By the time Lidstrom started winning every year, he was well past his prime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now tied for 3rd in SV% (.927), tied for 1st in Quality Starts (36), tied for 4th in Quality Start% (66.7), 3rd in GA%- (84), and 2nd in Goals Saved Above Average (22.3) all while having the most games played and games started in the league.

Among Devils goaltenders with 50+ GP in a season, Schneider is currently tied with Brodeur for the top SV% (.927). Here's the list from Hockey-Reference.

Nah, it was Ray Borque that always got in Stevens' way, especially in '94. By the time Lidstrom started winning every year, he was well past his prime.

1994 Stevens was jobbed by the legacy of Bourque that year.  Larry Brooks has railed about that vote for the last 20 years anytime Stevens name is mentioned in his NY Post columns.

I believe part of Stevens winning the 2000 Conn Smythe over Marty was also due to the writers believing they screwed-up in 1994.

Some goalies need to be busy to be successful and I think Schneider is one of them.

This is getting stupid.

This is Cory's 17th straight game with a .910%+ sv pct. I am pretty sure when DR33 posted the log of his .910% streak the other day, it was the only time this has ever happened in NHL history, but if it wasn't, I am almost certain it is now. He also has 8 games of .950%+ over that span.

Save percentage can even be an overrated stat - it's higher for goalies on good teams and lower for goalies on bad teams. Just look at Ben Scrivens's drop from last year to this. However, Cory has completely fvcked over this idea, because he is now 2nd in the league in save percentage, and he is on a pretty bad team. 

We might be seeing some of the best goaltending in NHL history. Funny, DR33 mentioned the most under appreciated Devils in history in reference to Jagr (I disagree). If this team doesn't get better in the next couple years, Cory may earn that title.

Edited by Neb00rs

No way I want Cory traded (which has been brought up here and there).  I'll take my chances and hope the D improves and hope that the Devils find just enough scoring.  They definitely need to put more pucks in the net, but if Cory can turn in 4-5 more seasons of this kind of play and the D becomes what we all hope it can be, average-to-slightly above goal-scoring might be enough.

Save% since 12/13:  .9449

Damn

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

No way I want Cory traded (which has been brought up here and there).  I'll take my chances and hope the D improves and hope that the Devils find just enough scoring.  They definitely need to put more pucks in the net, but if Cory can turn in 4-5 more seasons of this kind of play and the D becomes what we all hope it can be, average-to-slightly above goal-scoring might be enough.

Save% since 12/13:  .9449

Damn

Love Cory but damn is he killing me by lessening the Devils lottery chances.

Also I do not care what crap criteria the NHL uses for the Vezina, but if Cory is not at least nominated for the award then the vote if officially a complete joke.  I can't even begin to imagine what his numbers would be with a better team in front of him.

Schneider has been the 2nd best goalie in the league this year only behind Price.  Although the gap between Price and Schneider is pretty significant.  Rinne has fallen off a little bit.

If Schneider can come close to replicating this season next year, then he should be solidified as a top 5 goalie in this league.  The reason why he isn't already is because this is the only season he's played 50+ games.  It's way too hard to call someone a top 5 goalie when you only have one 50 game season.

Schneider has been the 2nd best goalie in the league this year only behind Price.  Although the gap between Price and Schneider is pretty significant.  Rinne has fallen off a little bit.

If Schneider can come close to replicating this season next year, then he should be solidified as a top 5 goalie in this league.  The reason why he isn't already is because this is the only season he's played 50+ games.  It's way too hard to call someone a top 5 goalie when you only have one 50 game season.

No it's not. Cory is a top 3 goalie in the league.