Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

we should be thankful that we got to enjoy parise threw his best years.. dont think i would have wanted to tie him up in a long pricey contract .. he was obviously a great player but i feel like there is other younger talent out there there by the time his contract really gets ticking

The Parise contract is fine going forward - Kane and Toews are going to get 9M+, Getzlaf and Perry got a higher cap hit, not sure either's better than Zach, and if so not significantly - the issue with it is cap recapture, which is going to really jam up the Wild's salary cap situation when Zach retires.

The Parise contract is fine going forward - Kane and Toews are going to get 9M+, Getzlaf and Perry got a higher cap hit, not sure either's better than Zach, and if so not significantly - the issue with it is cap recapture, which is going to really jam up the Wild's salary cap situation when Zach retires.

Not sure I agree with that.

In 5-7 years, the cap will probably be around 75-80 million. You'd be comfortable having two players in their mid-thirties taking up around  ~20 percent of the cap? Parise, as we probably know will not be a top 6 player at the point and who knows where Suter will be? It's not like salaries are increasing for the Wild too. Brodin is a great player and will be getting PAID and if Granlund and Coyle break out, there could be some problems. 

It'll be tough for them, especially if the rumors about Vanek wanting to come there are true

In 5-7 years, the cap will probably be around 75-80 million.

In 5 years, the cap will probably be $80M.  Can't predict the future, but I'd be surprised if it was under that amount.  The players get to vote for the 5% inflator every year, which they've been doing every year since the 2005 lockout.  5% of where the cap is going is a large amount now - that in itself is $3M a year.  

You'd be comfortable having two players in their mid-thirties taking up around  ~20 percent of the cap? Parise, as we probably know will not be a top 6 player at the point and who knows where Suter will be? It's not like salaries are increasing for the Wild too. Brodin is a great player and will be getting PAID and if Granlund and Coyle break out, there could be some problems.

I wouldn't be, but my point was that Parise's cap hit is fine now.  Going forward it depends on how Parise declines versus how the cap goes up.  Star defensemen age really well, typically - dunno if Ryan Suter falls into that camp.  In the short season, Parise was able to maintain his shot rate even on a worse team - we'll see how long he does that.  Once he falls below 3 shots a game it's going to get ugly.

It'll be tough for them, especially if the rumors about Vanek wanting to come there are true

It's rumored that they're talking a new deal for Pominville, I can't imagine them having room for Vanek after that.  

Edited by Triumph

Wow, didn't realize he was 36 years old already.  My first thought was before I looked up his age was "Man, he seems kind of young to retire."  Scary how quickly the time passes. 

Not sure I agree with that.

In 5-7 years, the cap will probably be around 75-80 million. You'd be comfortable having two players in their mid-thirties taking up around  ~20 percent of the cap? Parise, as we probably know will not be a top 6 player at the point and who knows where Suter will be? It's not like salaries are increasing for the Wild too. Brodin is a great player and will be getting PAID and if Granlund and Coyle break out, there could be some problems. 

you're never "stuck" with good players. At the very worst if you can't make it under the cap teams that can will throw picks, players, prospects at you of similar value which will give you something in return for the future or not set you back too much since you get an NHL caliber player in return and fit under the cap.

you're never "stuck" with good players. At the very worst if you can't make it under the cap teams that can will throw picks, players, prospects at you of similar value which will give you something in return for the future or not set you back too much since you get an NHL caliber player in return and fit under the cap.

Yeah, because there have never been past-their-prime star NHL players with awful contracts that were impossible to move.

That was my best Triumph impression (like the condescending sarcasm?  :lol:), but seriously.  If Parise were to crash within the next 5 years, you're going to have a bad player with an awful contract that noone will want to pick up (See: Drury, Redden, Briere, Bryz, Lecavalier, to a lesser extent Luongo..etc.)  Again:  This isn't Be A GM mode, this is real life.

Yeah, because there have never been past-their-prime star NHL players with awful contracts that were impossible to move.

That was my best Triumph impression (like the condescending sarcasm?   :lol:), but seriously.  If Parise were to crash within the next 5 years, you're going to have a bad player with an awful contract that noone will want to pick up (See: Drury, Redden, Briere, Bryz, Lecavalier, to a lesser extent Luongo..etc.)  Again:  This isn't Be A GM mode, this is real life.

The Wild are very unlikely to ever trade Parise, because they'll face a giant dead cap hit if they do, and whoever gets him will face a cap penalty if he retires early - his contract is severely front-loaded.  He's basically untradeable under this CBA no matter how good or bad he is.

Wow, didn't realize he was 36 years old already.  My first thought was before I looked up his age was "Man, he seems kind of young to retire."  Scary how quickly the time passes. 

He didn't really get into the league until late, like Lundqvist (it's odd even to think he's over 30 with how few years he's been around).

The Wild are very unlikely to ever trade Parise, because they'll face a giant dead cap hit if they do, and whoever gets him will face a cap penalty if he retires early - his contract is severely front-loaded. He's basically untradeable under this CBA no matter how good or bad he is.

Depends on how high the cap is in five or six years. Conceivably it could be $95 million. And by the time cap recapture becomes an issue it could be $105 million, perhaps higher.

The stars would have to align somewhat, but I think it's not as far fetched as you suggest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, really.  My first thought when I heard the news was "Geez, I remember when he was playing in the AHL."

Depends on how high the cap is in five or six years. Conceivably it could be $95 million. And by the time cap recapture becomes an issue it could be $105 million, perhaps higher. The stars would have to align somewhat, but I think it's not as far fetched as you suggest. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The cap is not going to be $95 million in 5 or 6 years, and if it is, it's going to be a few teams pulling it way up, and the league will become a floor league.

As for Cleary, it's fun to see everyone chuckling at that and yet few batted an eye when Zubrus was locked up to a more expensive contract at the same length.

The cap is not going to be $95 million in 5 or 6 years, and if it is, it's going to be a few teams pulling it way up, and the league will become a floor league.

As for Cleary, it's fun to see everyone chuckling at that and yet few batted an eye when Zubrus was locked up to a more expensive contract at the same length.

the difference between zubrus and cleary are the teams signing them and the cap room they have to do it.

Yes, but we weren't over the cap already before we signed that Zubrus deal (and still weren't after).

But that's not even it. We RE-signed Zubrus. We know what we have, our coaches and medical staff know where he's at physically and in terms of his capabilities.

Sorry but the Cleary signing is baffling..

the difference between zubrus and cleary are the teams signing them and the cap room they have to do it.

The Flyers are fine with the cap.  They just have to get under enough to stick Pronger on IR - it might require putting Couturier in the minors for a day or something like that, but they'll make it.  They won't bank any cap room, but that's why you sign a free agent instead of trying to trade for someone.

Yes, but we weren't over the cap already before we signed that Zubrus deal (and still weren't after).

But that's not even it. We RE-signed Zubrus. We know what we have, our coaches and medical staff know where he's at physically and in terms of his capabilities.

Sorry but the Cleary signing is baffling..

The Flyers don't have access to Cleary's medical records?  Wasn't that the #1 justification from Lou about why the Devils signed Clowe?

As for the cap next year, the Flyers have 15 players effectively signed at $52M, which is going to work out to about $17M in cap room for next season.

I don't think it's a great signing, and it's odd that it comes now, but 2.75M is the rate for 3rd liners on the market going forward, so get used to it.

Edited by Triumph

yeah im gonna have to agree with Tri here (i know) but again there's a little too much of "wtv a rival team does is bad and laughable but if the Devils does it its perfectly fine and people will make excuses for it" in most comments.

Not that i like that contract but its not as bad as people is making out to be. They have lots of young players bringing a lot more than what they are getting paid, thats something you have to put in the balance too.