GDT: Les Devils à Montréal- 7 PM ET

dmann422

I wouldn't be surprised if Oates got the boot if this keeps up.  The forward play is just atrocious.

I don't know what it is with both staffs passing on Gelinas.  It's not very smart.  It's a team utterly starving for offense and Gelinas can do that and they sit him.

At this point I think (hope?) next year's head coach is not on this staff.  Between Oates' horrible, goofy PP and Stevens' defense allowing 40 shots a night and the overall turtle system it's obvious none of these guys are brainstorming their way into the full-time job.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Gelinas actually has a place on a good Devils team.  It's on a bad one that he doesn't have a place.  The stronger the team, the more Gelinas's weaknesses can be covered up and his strengths helpful.  If this team had Stevens-Rafalski/Niedermayer-White like it did for a few years, Gelinas could absolutely play on that team for 15 minutes a night, sitting out when the team had a lead, playing more when the team was behind.  He just can't do it on a team that doesn't have a real strong top 4.

Perhaps I should use the word 'ideal.' For me, the ideal Devils team does not have a weak defender on it and instead, we have someone with Gelinas's shot who can also half play defense.

At this point I think (hope?) next year's head coach is not on this staff.  Between Oates' horrible, goofy PP and Stevens' defense allowing 40 shots a night and the overall turtle system it's obvious none of these guys are brainstorming their way into the full-time job.

I agree that I don't want Oates or Stevens coaching next year. That said, I don't think any coach out there could stop this team from getting out shot. This team just doesn't have it.

Perhaps I should use the word 'ideal.' For me, the ideal Devils team does not have a weak defender on it and instead, we have someone with Gelinas's shot who can also half play defense.

I agree that I don't want Oates or Stevens coaching next year. That said, I don't think any coach out there could stop this team from getting out shot. This team just doesn't have it.

Well, what's happening with the new regime is atrocious. Here are some numbers, and yes they aren't close to perfect when you take into account score effects, but it does illustrate how awful the team has been outplayed under the new group.

In 17 games under the new staff, the Devils have been outshot at even strength by 120.

In 36 games under the old staff , the Devils were outshot at even strength by 76.

In 17 games under the new staff, the Devils corsi number (all shots directed for - all shots directed against) is -169

In 36 games under the old staff, the Devils corsi number was -17

Edited by devilsrule33

Larsson wasn't good tonight either - he made two brutal passes in his own zone.  

Fraser is just horrific.  No idea why they think this guy is an NHL D.  

This coaching staff deserves to be embarrassed.  It's not fair to the goalies or the players but this coaching staff needs to see that whatever they are doing is just not working.

What the hell do you mean its not working and they deserve to be embarrassed? We have a better record since they took over and they've barely had a month or so to develop the players and team based on their own strategies, methods, fundamentals, etc.

What the hell do you mean its not working and they deserve to be embarrassed? We have a better record since they took over and they've barely had a month or so to develop the players and team based on their own strategies, methods, fundamentals, etc.

C'mon...Devils are getting killed in a lot of departments (the shot differentials are beyond insane). The main reason for the better record has been mostly stellar goaltending at the Devils' end (especially with Schneider) and pretty bad goaltending from our opponents. The Devils can offset getting doubled up in shots seemingly every night for only so long.

C'mon...Devils are getting killed in a lot of departments (the shot differentials are beyond insane). The main reason for the better record has been mostly stellar goaltending at the Devils' end (especially with Schneider) and pretty bad goaltending from our opponents. The Devils can offset getting doubled up in shots seemingly every night for only so long.

Not to mention a softer schedule lately, and better health.  Other than the Sharks or Pittsburgh in late December they really haven't beaten anyone in a playoff spot and the last time they played the Pens they got smoked.  If anything it's actually gotten worse since they've had more practice time and implemented the turtle system.

And this staff's fascination with Fraser is actually worse than Pete's fascination with Harrold or overplaying of Salvador.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Can't just look at W's and L's.

Look at what others have been saying here.

And this staff's fascination with Fraser is actually worse than Pete's fascination with Harrold or overplaying of Salvador.

And here we were thinking we'd get some relief from the illogical veteran defenseman roster decisions.

Crazy stuff. You can't make this up.

Maybe it wasn't PDB that whole time. WHAT A TWIST

Edited by Devilsfan118

Why both he and Harrold are in the lineup over Gelinas at this point is beyond me. I know Gelinas has his faults, but you'd think the new coaching staff would at least give him a chance to show that he can play.

It really makes no sense. I don't like Gelinas defensively, but he's way better than Fraser, and although I'd say he is equally bad as Harrold, his scoring ability and Harrold's complete absence of same make me prefer Gelinas.

If I were in charge, Greene, Severson, Gelinas, Merrill, Zidlicky and Larsson is a pretty good group of 6. Even better if you can move Zids & bring up another young guy from Albany, although it's good to have another veteran guy in addition to Greene rather than essentially 5 guys if rookie level experience.

You can say what you want about Fraser and sure the shot disparity is terrible, but the team is much more energized under this staff and it shows on the ice. They play with a purpose and energy now. It was half assed effort and no heart the last season or two under DeBoer. We had a sh!tty PK under that staff and a pretty dismal PP. At least now the PK is improving and sure you can say our better W/L record is partly due to better goaltending lately but we've also been much more responsible defensively. Whether you want to refer to that as turtling is up to you but you can't deny at least its a strategy and has been pretty effective, as opposed to going out there with virtually no strategy and just "winging it" with the personnel we have on the ice. This coaching staff is making the best of what they have to work with and I for one appreciate it. You want them to make diamonds out of dogsh!t and it just isn't going to happen, but as a fan I appreciate the effort.

i think you can blame the horrendous shot differential on the forwards as much as anyone - not just that they're not getting shots on goals themselves, but that they're not doing enough when they don't have the puck to stop shot attempts against. that comes from a lack of speed to keep up with attacking players as well as a system that doesn't have the aggressive forecheck that deboer had in place.

it's not just going to be players that change this around - it's gotta be the coaching staff. neither oates nor stevens should be part of the staff next year, but alas, they both almost certainly will be. it's really a shame.

i mean, lets say for arguments sake they can get a evander kane deal that has gelinas/jagr and a 2nd. and lets say they either win the lottery or go on a terrible losing streak and get themselves into a bottom 5 situation where they draft a (scoring) forward that makes the team out of camp. and we'll continue by saying they make a smart UFA signing with a defenseman who can play within the system and do well to block shots. that's a ton of ifs and you're still going to need a top 3 performance out of schneider to think about the playoffs.

forget about the record lately because it's really smoke and mirrors - this team has played worse since deboer was fired and that is a very scary thing. as TG pointed out, hopefully Sunny is charting these games and taking notes and then burning them to show the upper management that they've just got a real bad team assembled.

You can say what you want about Fraser and sure the shot disparity is terrible, but the team is much more energized under this staff and it shows on the ice. They play with a purpose and energy now. It was half assed effort and no heart the last season or two under DeBoer. We had a sh!tty PK under that staff and a pretty dismal PP. At least now the PK is improving and sure you can say our better W/L record is partly due to better goaltending lately but we've also been much more responsible defensively. Whether you want to refer to that as turtling is up to you but you can't deny at least its a strategy and has been pretty effective, as opposed to going out there with virtually no strategy and just "winging it" with the personnel we have on the ice. This coaching staff is making the best of what they have to work with and I for one appreciate it. You want them to make diamonds out of dogsh!t and it just isn't going to happen, but as a fan I appreciate the effort.

What are you even saying? The PP went into the sh!tter since Deboer and Barr were fired, they were top 10 last season and this season until they were fired and this is arguably the worst stretch of hockey they played in the last few seasons. Only reason why they were winning was Cory and Kinkaid putting up a .960 save percentage in those wins. WAKE UP, they have been outshot 198 to 108 in six games. Thats embarrassing and pathetic.

You call this energy? No its called very fortunate goal scoring and hot goal tending. What happened last night is whats suppose to happen with this team. Also they managed wins against GARBAGE opponents while getting outplayed. Its a complete joke.

Edited by Zubie#8

henrique is a solid player, yeah I wish he was a bit more slick and slippery with the puck and a bit faster. but his sense is keen and hes strong on his skates.  a timely scorer and any nhler that is part polish and part pot\rtugese is cool in my book

Edited by EdgeControl

The difference is Adam Henrique is solid defensively (usually, don't know the story this year stopped watching). He's been a typical devils forward for us. He doesn't carry the play though, hes going to need good line mates to make stuff happen. I'm not worried about him.

Edited by Sneax