Free Agent Frenzy - 2016

Zubie#8

As usual, a lot of activity. Okposo to Buffalo is a good fit. He should benefit from playing with Eichel. Count me as a proponent of Ladd to Islanders. The length is bad. But Ladd is a proven player who should help them in a leadership role. I also love Chimera. I wanted him. Great speed still. Strong PK. Scoring touch. Solid depth move. 

The Ranger signings are blah. Grabner will help the PK. He still has speed and will get breakaways and blow most of them. No hands. They added Gerbe, who is a midget. So two good skaters. I would guess Clendening is AHL fodder. 

Good: Detroit inking Nielsen. If the Vanek deal is for 1 year, it could work. Short term is always better with reclamation projects. 

Bad: Montreal with Radulov. Too much money. He has talent. I guess it depends on production. Habs made that awful trade too. Idiocy. Subban is such a better skater than Weber. Younger and doesn't have such a long contract. I mean it was star for star. A rarity. Weber will produce his usual 15-20 goals and provide leadership. But the last half of that deal. Yikes. Great deal for Nashville. Josi and Subban top pair. Ekholm so underrated. And Ellis. 

At least they're not the Oilers. What kind of franchise gives up Hall straight for Larsson? Funny enough, I always envisioned Hall winding up a Devil. I proposed Severson for him on this board once. I guess it just goes to show it wasn't too far fetched. He went for Larsson instead. Genius move by Shero. Then Edmonton went too many years for Lucic. The AAV of 6 per is fine. He doesn't miss many games despite his style. But at what point does he run out? Year 4 probably.

Anything else I miss?

7 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Not really UFA news but Shero said tonight that management and Elias have come to a general agreement that they will "see how he feels in August or September" to make a deal and Shero doesn't "see him playing for another team" essentially.

Don't want to take the "well if Lou was still here he would've done everything wrong" tact, but I find it hard to believe that Lou wouldn't have signed Elias to a one-year deal by now, almost automatically.  I like that both parties seem to know what Elias' situation is...it's questionable as to whether or not he has anything left (and I think every other team knows that too), so no rush to sign him...assuming Shero ever does.  I want to see the Devils move on myself...and see Elias' number go up to the rafters sometime during the 2016-17 season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't want to take the "well if Lou was still here he would've done everything wrong" tact, but I find it hard to believe that Lou wouldn't have signed Elias to a one-year deal by now, almost automatically.  I like that both parties seem to know what Elias' situation is...it's questionable as to whether or not he has anything left (and I think every other team knows that too), so no rush to sign him...assuming Shero ever does.  I want to see the Devils move on myself...and see Elias' number go up to the rafters sometime during the 2016-17 season.

agreed completely. The one and only reason i'd want Elias back on the ice next season is to play with Zacha... just cause it would be a great story and all.. also well Zacha could learn so much going on a shift with him and just with the chat they'd have on the bench after... you can't have that impact / insight if you're not a player or a coach. But we've been blinded by those "great stories" and blind loyalty for long enough. As hard it is for us fan we got to let go BUT hopefully Elias will remain with the organisation at some capacity and will be able to be around Zacha anyway. There's no doubt in my mind that Elias is going to be coach someday. Hopefully it will be with us

I think patty working with zacha for a year is worth bringing him back. Czechs always play with fantastic chemistry together anyway. Although he's a full step slower, Elias will always have world class vision. Let's not begin to fall into a trap thinking we're supposed to be pushing to be competitive this season. I think this has to be the last complete rebuild year.

1 minute ago, thecoffeecake said:

I think patty working with zacha for a year is worth bringing him back. Czechs always play with fantastic chemistry together anyway. Although he's a full step slower, Elias will always have world class vision. Let's not begin to fall into a trap thinking we're supposed to be pushing to be competitive this season. I think this has to be the last complete rebuild year.

i wouldnt be opposite to that but the bottom 6 is just so cramped now... our top 2 lines LW spot are set in stone basically. (until Cammalleri injure himself sneezing) 

Hall - Henrique - DSP

Cammalleri - Zajac - Palmieri

Boucher - Zacha - Bennett

Kalinin - Fiddler - wtv

Plus we have Blandisi, Wood, Lappin, Josefson and god knows what's coming... Plus Elias... i just don't see where we could put him without taking a young guys spot

Hudler and Fleischmann are still available.  Elias doesn't fit in with what the Devils are trying to do, they want to play fast, his complaint about DeBoer's system after Pete was fired was that there was too much skating.  I think there's less skating in Hynes's system (so far anyway), but still.

28 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Would have liked Demers at that price, would have been a good Larsson replacement.

Tdre3os.jpg

If the Stamkos situation has taught us anything, it's that it probably would have cost us a lot more for it to be a comparable offer once state taxes are factored in.