Can we just appreciate how dynamic and just good Hall is

roomtemp

I'm glad that he's scored a few goals right off the bat...and it's not like he's been buoyed by insane luck.  At least he has something to show for his good work.  Other guys need to shoulder the burden though...and soon.

6 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

We'll see. He's never scored more than 27 goals in a season professionally so we did get him based a lot on potential.

Part of that is due to not playing a lot of games in most of his seasons to date.  He has the ability to score 30+ if he can hit 75+ games played more often.  He has obvious talent.  Hope Shero can build a team around him that allows him to get the most of out it.

5 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

The crazy thing is Hall hasn't even begun to show how good he is 5 on 5. I believe Zacha is the only center who fits with him as well. 

Zacha has looked every bit like he belongs in the NHL, and a complete player at that. strong behind both nets, along the boards, big and strong ,shifty with decent hands, vision and a good shot. he and hall look like the medicine this team needed to push other talent down a line.

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

Zacha has looked every bit like he belongs in the NHL, and a complete player at that. strong behind both nets, along the boards, big and strong ,shifty with decent hands, vision and a good shot. he and hall look like the medicine this team needed to push other talent down a line.

Only problem is his faceoff %

Need to work on that ... But except that, fully agree ! 

42 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Thankfully. Otherwise this offense is still extremely week.  Love Hall.

Which is crazy, because between Cammy, Rico, Palms and now PAP you'd think this team could pot more than 2 goals a game.

I still think they will once things gel.

• Like 1

I'm hopeful but we need to relax. It's been 4 games, he's scored 3 goals. I'm not ready to anoint him as the second coming just yet. 

But things are looking good. I would like to see him setting up some goals as well, he needs to be making those around him better. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm hopeful but we need to relax. It's been 4 games, he's scored 3 goals. I'm not ready to anoint him as the second coming just yet. 

But things are looking good. I would like to see him setting up some goals as well, he needs to be making those around him better. 

As the second coming of what?  The guy is clearly going to be a very good player if he can stay healthy (and to be fair, playing a full season's worth of games has been an issue for him, though he did play in all 82 games last season).  He's been pretty productive already so far for his career and is hitting his prime.  

It's only five games so I definitely don't want to make any big declarations yet, but it's looking like the Devils won't be getting 60 goals from Henrique and Palmieri this season.  Not the end of the world (especially if they can combine for 50 or thereabouts), but that's 10 goals that will have to be made up by others.  I do think this team will be more productive than last season's...hard not to be, really.  But there's a lot of iffy guys in the lineup right now.  

They need to find players on this roster that can keep up with him. Zajac simply just can not. Zacha did a good job with him and Rico can as well. I think once they can find a line thats good with Hall, we'll be looking good. We also need some support from Cammy, Rico and couple others.

Hall's everything that he was supposed to be.  Great skater, great awareness, can make plays while skating - he's got it all.  Have even seen a few timely backchecks out of him.  

Henrique can keep up with him skating-wise but he's not a particularly good passer.     

I'm not that worried about the offense.  So far it's better than last year in terms of shots and pucks will start going in.

• Like 4

As far as metrics/numbers go, if there's a team in the NHL that's great at defying metrics (especially positive ones), it's the Devils. 

That being said, I agree that they will start to see some more pucks go in (duh, not like they're going to average less than 2 GPG for a full season, especially with some decent offensive talent)...I still think they can rank somewhere in the lower middle-of-the-pack (20th or thereabouts) in goals-for if everyone stays healthy...Hall will do his thing...I have no doubts that he'll find a way to score 25+ goals and put up 60+ points in 75+ GP, and that's more because the Devils might not currently have the right personnel to bring out his very best.  It's more the other guys who are iffy.  I wasn't expecting Henrique and Palms to match or increase last season's goal outputs (though Palms is off to a fine start in that regard). 

I also think that they will start giving up more goals...this is not a great defensive corp.   Cory's not going to finish the season with a .943 save%, and the Devils still give up a fair number of shots. 

Obviously this is all puny-sample stuff, but overall, what I've seen is about what I've expected early on.  Hall is going to help the team offensively and was definitely a key acquisition that can't be argued against, though having lost Larsson has hurt.  There's been both positives and negatives.  There was no reason to think that the team would come screaming out of the gate, but at least they haven't dug themselves a hole.  I was planning on being patient and will continue to be. 

He's just around Parise's numbers from 2008-2010 in terms of shots per/60 and shots on goal/60. Parise had 23 and 24 goals seasons at 5v5 those years, so that's promising. Obviously small sample for Hall this year but looking at his history he should be in that range going forward.

the great majority here thought the trade was grand larssony , 5 games in and I'm not changing my opinion!  this team needed a top line, hall makes one.  if zacha continues to impress and gains chemistry w hall, it will level our roster out nicely.. btw. hall is much stronger than I thought,  I actually thought he was a bit soft as an oiler... wrong!!!

40 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

the great majority here thought the trade was grand larssony , 5 games in and I'm not changing my opinion!  this team needed a top line, hall makes one.  if zacha continues to impress and gains chemistry w hall, it will level our roster out nicely.. btw. hall is much stronger than I thought,  I actually thought he was a bit soft as an oiler... wrong!!!

lol nice one there

Edited by Aznjsn

12 hours ago, Triumph said:

Hall's everything that he was supposed to be.  Great skater, great awareness, can make plays while skating - he's got it all.  Have even seen a few timely backchecks out of him.  

Henrique can keep up with him skating-wise but he's not a particularly good passer.     

I'm not that worried about the offense.  So far it's better than last year in terms of shots and pucks will start going in.

I feel like we were saying that with a team in the recent past, I wanna say 13-14 when we had the god awful shootout luck, but I cant remember which season for sure, the years are starting to blur together because of work and life.

Either way, tonight will be the 2nd game I can watch start to finish, freaking excited

39 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I feel like we were saying that with a team in the recent past, I wanna say 13-14 when we had the god awful shootout luck, but I cant remember which season for sure, the years are starting to blur together because of work and life.

Either way, tonight will be the 2nd game I can watch start to finish, freaking excited

The Devils had 26.2 shots per 60 minutes at even strength that year.  So far this year they're at 30.3.  They're also playing a different offensive system.