The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

Danis Zaripov looking possibly at NHL 2 year suspension in the khl.   Scored a lot in the K but shoots left, and is kind of old (36). Some NHL teams are looking into him. Wonder if Ray is one of them. 

18 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Danis Zaripov looking possibly at NHL 2 year suspension in the khl.   Scored a lot in the K but shoots left, and is kind of old (36). Some NHL teams are looking into him. Wonder if Ray is one of them. 

What do you have to do to get a 2 year suspension in the KHL?  Did he kill somebody? 

• Like 2

Zaripov is NHL eligible, just announced. Rumors are the NYR are interested - I couldn't imagine the Devils would be. 

Some quotes from our boy MoJo, written by TG: 

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-jersey-devils-marcus-johansson-ready-for-new-adventure/c-290782640?tid=280751054

"It's a good group, a group of young guys, [a] team and organization that's heading in the right direction," Johansson said. "It feels like coming there now you're part of that almost from the start. I'm feeling really good about this. It's going to be a fun year."

"That would be fun," he said. "That's a chance to take the next step as well as a player. I'm excited for new opportunities and new challenges. You get there and you don't really know anything, I don't know anyone, which is kind of fun too."

Johansson said he didn't know anyone with the Devils before the trade, but "pretty much the whole team has reached out" to him since then.

"It seems like a great organization with some great people in it," he said. "So far, I've only got positive stuff to say about everyone and everyone I've heard from. It's a good opportunity for me. I think I'm coming to a great place."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Zaripov is facing a 2 year suspension from the K for being caught for doping, which seems to be a substantial problem in Russia the past few years

2 years for doping in the KHL?  That's gotta be more steroids than were allowed at the SNL all steroid olympics, which I can't embed for some reason.

Edited by Daniel

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:43 PM, vadvlfan said:

Meh, guess he's had a pretty nice and consistent K career, but it's not like he shredded that league...you also wonder about an older guy like that hitting the wall during the last quarter of the NHL season (though he has played 157 KHL games the past two seasons, regular season and playoffs combined).  Seems like a big adjustment for a guy who's never played in the NHL to make so late in his career.  I'd pass.

20 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Meh, guess he's had a pretty nice and consistent K career, but it's not like he shredded that league...you also wonder about an older guy like that hitting the wall during the last quarter of the NHL season (though he has played 157 KHL games the past two seasons, regular season and playoffs combined).  Seems like a big adjustment for a guy who's never played in the NHL to make so late in his career.  I'd pass.

also, you don't have time/space in NHL.  He'll probably come play @ a city near you, but he'll need time to adjust to smaller ice surface. If were going to experiment with players, rather it be a young guy bucking for a spot.  

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Plenty of space on the new jerseys for that patch. Maybe they can run a ring of them around the bottom of the jersey like a stripe. 

And offend fans of the Newark Bullfrogs? No way. They're going to sell a lot of jerseys paying homage to such a storied franchise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

And offend fans of the Newark Bullfrogs? No way. They're going to sell a lot of jerseys paying homage to such a storied franchise. 

I think that this tradition was actually started by the East Rutherford Chickensmashers in 1935 when one one of the players wives accidentally sewed hundreds of patches onto the teams jerseys, the feature became lovingly know as the "god damnit prudence" band.  It's a feature Adidas intend to fully restore. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone else who would be excited to buy an East Rutherford Chickensmashers jersey???

Only if it's not an Indo version , I don't want to actually own anything that has come into contact with poor people or those who sleep on the floor. 

• Like 1