2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

29 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The thing is that this is still not a great deal for 2 years because Marleau looks like he's a bit of a passenger on SJ these days and while he's not going to be asked to carry the load in Toronto, I don't know how I'd feel about paying for a 38 year old guy to maintain his goal scoring ability.  

If it doesn't prevent Toronto doing something they might otherwise want to or need to do, the fact that they're paying an old guy a lot of money doesn't matter.  I have no idea if that's the case or not, not knowing what Toronto wants to or should try to do, but that's the ultimate logic of handing out free agent deals, especially if you're a team that could hand out $150 million in contracts a year and still be very profitable.  

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If it doesn't prevent Toronto doing something they might otherwise want to or need to do, the fact that they're paying an old guy a lot of money doesn't matter.  I have no idea if that's the case or not, not knowing what Toronto wants to or should try to do, but that's the ultimate logic of handing out free agent deals, especially if you're a team that could hand out $150 million in contracts a year and still be very profitable.  

The Leafs have Horton and Lupul on their books and they almost certainly cannot get rid of Horton for 3 years.  This means that unless the Leafs keep Horton off LTIR they will risk bonus overages with their young players on ELCs.  This is especially true in Matthews and Marner's final season - imagine a scenario where they earn $3M in bonuses and then are signed to contracts that equal $14M the next season, well now you are effectively paying $17M for them.  That's going to make it hard for the Leafs to do a lot of other stuff.

I like this Marleau contract idea in theory but I don't think he's that good of a player anymore.

Lovejoy for:
Orpik
Connoly
Lucas Johansen 
gives Caps cap room. Devils get serviceable RW and excellent defensive prospect. 

I will drive Lovejoy to the airport myself, and if the Caps want, I will take out a loan in my own name and pay Lovejoy's salary myself in order to facilitate this deal if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I wrote this this morning and I wish I posted it then, but it makes even more sense after this trade:

Shattenkirk is NOT the next Bobby Orr. He's a nice player who would have been overpaid in a bad UFA year. He wanted to go to the Rags and did, Ray did what he reasonably could. You have to remember that while most of the big names go on the first day, it's not a one day event, there are still a few players out there. I think that if we can get a Cody Franson, with today's trade, the draft, it'll be a nice off season for a team that is still rebuilding. I know it's hard to see other teams landing big ticket items and we don't, but once you get a good night's sleep it's easier to see the big picture. Personally I'm pretty OK with Ray's work so far.

Now let's get a damn defenseman and let's go Devils!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Marleau got a full NMC too? Good God Lou. emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou swinging for the cheap seats! Signs Marleau (38), Dominic Moore  (36), and Ron Hainsey  (36) all to multi-year deals. 

Edited by slasher72