GDT - Devils vs Rangers 12/21/17

NJDfan1711

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

I just love watching a hungry team every night. 

Long gone are the country club days of being the oldest, and most content to show up and collect a paycheck, team in the league.

Sadly I don't think that they weren't trying...I think they were most of the time...they really were just that bad.  Old, slow, and not much imagination. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

One thing I notice with Coleman and Gibby on the PK, these 2 guys just seem to read every opponents passes, specially in Neutral zone and the top half of the D zone. One mistake with puck, and their off to the races. Scary good......... :hail:

They are our new version of Madden and Pandolfo.    

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

One thing I notice with Coleman and Gibby on the PK, these 2 guys just seem to read every opponents passes, specially in Neutral zone and the top half of the D zone. One mistake with puck, and their off to the races. Scary good......... :hail:

This is very true. And Coleman never stops pursuing the puck. There were at least 5 times last night where I thought for sure the Rangers were coming away with a puck that Coleman just would not let go of, and there's Coleman right under foot ruining their day. And he does so by using excellent body position. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but I wonder if any other teams' boards pick apart their #1 goalie as much as this one does.  Maybe in some odd way it's a compliment...that we think that Schneider is capable of such greatness that he's barely allowed to give up a goal without it being heavily dissected and criticized.  As far as last night's game goes, I don't know what he was supposed to do about goals #1 and #3...he made a flurry of saves before the first one, and the third one went in off Severson's skate.  I'm guessing if you could watch every team's #1 (those who have a clear #1, anyway) for a full season, Cory's body of work would rank in or very near the Top 5, factoring in everything.  It would also be nice if some could acknowledge that for every "stoppable" shot that goes in, Schneids makes a hell of a lot of tough saves too...he made a bunch last night.  One of those games where his save% didn't really tell the whole story.  

For some in this fanbase, they just haven't realized that Schneider showed up right when the rest of the franchise was heading down the toilet.  Before this season, Schneider's maybe had one team better than the worst one Brodeur had, and Brodeur was here for 20 years.  I think they resent the way that the online fanbase turned against Brodeur in that 2013-14 year, but I can't be sure.  For some of these people, it's easy to imagine them hoping that the goalie the Devils got after Brodeur would be a pile of garbage so they could point to Brodeur's achievements and say 'We miss Marty in his prime', but that's a sentiment I don't see anywhere.

Anyway, I hear that there's a very vocal but small group of Rangers fans who wanted them to trade Lundqvist and play Talbot, who wanted them to trade Lundqvist and play Rantta - it's just not limited to Devils fans.  When you rely on one guy to get you a win most nights, it's easy to feel like he comes up short too often when the rest of the team isn't pulling its weight.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This is very true. And Coleman never stops pursuing the puck. There were at least 5 times last night where I thought for sure the Rangers were coming away with a puck that Coleman just would not let go of, and there's Coleman right under foot ruining their day. And he does so by using excellent body position. 

The 2 of them a Plus 13 and 9 respectively...........Not too shabby

Boys we need to come up with some nicknames for these guys, lol

Edited by Gunslinger27

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

For some in this fanbase, they just haven't realized that Schneider showed up right when the rest of the franchise was heading down the toilet.  Before this season, Schneider's maybe had one team better than the worst one Brodeur had, and Brodeur was here for 20 years.  I think they resent the way that the online fanbase turned against Brodeur in that 2013-14 year, but I can't be sure.  For some of these people, it's easy to imagine them hoping that the goalie the Devils got after Brodeur would be a pile of garbage so they could point to Brodeur's achievements and say 'We miss Marty in his prime', but that's a sentiment I don't see anywhere.

Anyway, I hear that there's a very vocal but small group of Rangers fans who wanted them to trade Lundqvist and play Talbot, who wanted them to trade Lundqvist and play Rantta - it's just not limited to Devils fans.  When you rely on one guy to get you a win most nights, it's easy to feel like he comes up short too often when the rest of the team isn't pulling its weight.  

I like Cory, and think he's done very well with the hand he's been dealt here.  Following a HOF'er that has won 3 Stanley Cups and is one of the best to ever play the position is very difficult, and he's handled it well.  I think there's a segment of the fanbase that resents what they see as Cory pushing Marty out before he was ready to retire, which is ridiculous and unfair to Cory.  I also think that there is a portion of this fanbase that got so spoiled by the decades of success, so much so that they can't fathom having to rebuild the roster and deal with the losing that would come with it, and look to Cory as a scapegoat because, let's face it, goalies are easy targets when a team doesn't win.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Just an fyi but you should be able to click that down arrow on the right side and click copy link to tweet, then when you paste it here it will post the tweet instead of just a link like this... 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Uggh, well there goes our season.  Brooks is pretty much wrong about everything. Just this season it was Shattenkirk was a disaster until he wasn’t.  Lunqvist is finished until he’s keeping the Rangers comfortably in the playoff picture.   Vingeaut needs to be fired, until there’s a very good run of good hockey.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.  Hopefully we’ll get Rasmus Dahin, as my hopes for Shero pulling off a Karlsson trade for a Cup run are now dashed.  Actually scratch that.  Shero’s gonna trade Zacha and a first, for James Neal and we’ll miss the playoffs, and Vegas will win the lottery with our pick.

Brooksie has really really bad mojo.

Addendum:  And it goes without saying the Rangers will now win the next three Cups.  

Edited by Daniel
  • Haha 1

Just an fyi but you should be able to click that down arrow on the right side and click copy link to tweet, then when you paste it here it will post the tweet instead of just a link like this... 

Thanks for the heads up- I'll look for it next time, but I usually use Tapatalk to post in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

If not for Lundqvist, under siege for nearly all of the first 40 minutes in which the Devils generated 38 shots on net that included at least a dozen glorious chances, the Blueshirts would have been blown into the nearby confluence of the Passaic and Hackensack rivers. The Devils were irrepressible. They created havoc in the New York end and came through the neutral zone in electric waves that rode back to the top of the Metro Division.

Brooks is a hack but that was a fun read indeed. Thanks for posting, I don't think I would've seen otherwise.

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but I wonder if any other teams' boards pick apart their #1 goalie as much as this one does.  Maybe in some odd way it's a compliment...that we think that Schneider is capable of such greatness that he's barely allowed to give up a goal without it being heavily dissected and criticized.  As far as last night's game goes, I don't know what he was supposed to do about goals #1 and #3...he made a flurry of saves before the first one, and the third one went in off Severson's skate.  I'm guessing if you could watch every team's #1 (those who have a clear #1, anyway) for a full season, Cory's body of work would rank in or very near the Top 5, factoring in everything.  It would also be nice if some could acknowledge that for every "stoppable" shot that goes in, Schneids makes a hell of a lot of tough saves too...he made a bunch last night.  One of those games where his save% didn't really tell the whole story. 

I know you said this isn't directed at anyone but perhaps my comments spurred yours in some way, perhaps not. In any case, everyone needs to acknowledge how good Cory is. Some nights he's flawless, especially technically. I think it's worth pointing out when he gets outplayed though, as he did last night. The goals certainly weren't his fault though.

I've certainly given Cory his due on this board.

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lundqvist since 11/8:  .936 save%

Pavelec in the same period:  .941 save%

Anybody see those two keeping THAT up? 

I don't think anyone argues that Lundqvist is going to maintain a .940 save% but does he have to for the Rangers to win? They've scored almost 3.5 goals per game since mid October.

7 minutes ago, pattyelias said:

I really don't understand where their offense comes from.

As much as I'd like to say they are lucky, they aren't.  They skate well and get to the net for rebounds.  They don't have a superstar forward or big shooter in their lineup, and don't need one.  They transition the puck well out of their zone, create lots of odd man rushes, and they back off the opponents D with their speed, which opens up the middle of the ice for the late forward into the zone to get a shot as the other 2 crash the net for rebounds.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Uggh, well there goes our season.  Brooks is pretty much wrong about everything. Just this season it was Shattenkirk was a disaster until he wasn’t.  Lunqvist is finished until he’s keeping the Rangers comfortably in the playoff picture.   Vingeaut needs to be fired, until there’s a very good run of good hockey.

Well to be fair we all said the same thing about Shattenkirk, Lundqvist and Vignault around the same time lol