GDT: Devils @ Philthadelphia Phailures 7:00 PM

MadDog2020

OK, in all fairness, what coach out there could get more out of these goalies that Hynes has?  He's in an absolutely horrible position at the moment.  He's basically got a guy who's failing his first real test as an emergency #1 in KK, a 30-year-old journeyman-in-the-making who was out of the NHL until dire circumstances helped him get back in Luck, and two AHL-ers, neither of whom are exactly inspiring confidence playing for Bingo.  Here you go:  syphilis, gonorrhea, the clap, or crabs. 

And as far as KK goes, no, I'm not in love with his play this year either, and I really hope Shero tries to upgrade that spot prior to the start of next season, but is it KK's fault that so much of the secondary "by committee" scoring has almost completely dried up?  That there was no Part 3 goal-scorer to Gibbons' Part 1 and Boyle's Part 2?  Outside of Hall, who can you really count on for goals right now?  Palms is kind of hot at the moment (5 goals in his last 7 GP), though on the whole Palms' year doesn't feel quite as productive as his offensive numbers suggest.  Wood has put up a very respectable 9 goals in his last 27 (a 27-goal pace over 82 GP), but he's not a guy you're expecting to go on some unconscious tear.  Bratt has three goals in his last 27 games (none in 10), and Hischier has 4 in his last 31 (one in his last 16).  Boyle has two points (one goal and one assist) in his last 20 GP...sh!t, by comparison, Travis' 6 goals and 3 assists in his last 18 GP makes him scorching hot.  A guy who clearly could've helped in MoJo is just having one of those seasons where all of his luck (particularly from a health standpoint) has been lousy.  Zacha is showing signs of life, but the back-of-the-net rewards just haven't come for him yet...the guy has two goals in his last 45 GP.

Not saying that every last decision that Hynes makes is perfect, but there's a lot more going on here than just KK not being good.  The guess here is that even if he went with Lack, he'd be just as bad, possibly worse...before you say "How?", just remember that the guy has an .897 save% in his last 60 NHL games, dating back to the start of the 2015-16 season, and if not for Cory getting hurt might not have even gotten another sniff of the NHL this year.

Hopefully someone (preferably multiple someones) not named Hall simply picks up his game soon...be it KK or Lack, Bratt or Hischier, Zacha, SOMEONE.  Like that Palms is on Hall's line for the moment...might as well see if they can help carry this team for a while.   

• Like 3

Called it.  Knew Kinkaid would be in net tonight.  Doesn't matter - we have two choices to try and fix that problem, and both options give us about the same chance of success.  There's 19 other problems and a greater probability of fixing one of those. 

Please score some even strength goals.  To do this, you must show some energy.  You must show some drive to the net.  

If we're lucky enough to get a Powerplay or two, please make one of them count.  Don't squander it.

Please don't take stupid penalties.  We can't afford it right now.  Use your heads.

Please show some toughness.  I know it's hard to play in that building, but we're up against one of if not our most hated rival.  You should want to murder them on the ice.  Make them know that.

Please play with a sense of urgency and an awareness of the situation.  Tonight's game matters.  It really matters. So play like it.

That is all. Let's Go Devils.

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Called it.  Knew Kinkaid would be in net tonight.  Doesn't matter - we have two choices to try and fix that problem, and both options give us about the same chance of success.  There's 19 other problems and a greater probability of fixing one of those. 

Please score some even strength goals.  To do this, you must show some energy.  You must show some drive to the net.  

If we're lucky enough to get a Powerplay or two, please make one of them count.  Don't squander it.

Please don't take stupid penalties.  We can't afford it right now.  Use your heads.

Please show some toughness.  I know it's hard to play in that building, but we're up against one of if not our most hated rival.  You should want to murder them on the ice.  Make them know that.

Please play with a sense of urgency and an awareness of the situation.  Tonight's game matters.  It really matters. So play like it.

That is all. Let's Go Devils.

Agree with the general gist of this post, in that the margin of error has been greatly reduced from earlier in the season.  Mistakes are a lot harder for them to overcome now.

I do think they're still trying very hard and I think they wanted that game against the Bruins very badly, but right now it seems like every big mistake they made just bites them in the ass.  Really hope they find a way to pull this out...I don't care how ugly of a win it is.   

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

OK, in all fairness, what coach out there could get more out of these goalies that Hynes has?  He's in an absolutely horrible position at the moment.  He's basically got a guy who's failing his first real test as an emergency #1 in KK, a 30-year-old journeyman-in-the-making who was out of the NHL until dire circumstances helped him get back in Luck, and two AHL-ers, neither of whom are exactly inspiring confidence playing for Bingo.  Here you go:  syphilis, gonorrhea, the clap, or crabs. 

And as far as KK goes, no, I'm not in love with his play this year either, and I really hope Shero tries to upgrade that spot prior to the start of next season, but is it KK's fault that so much of the secondary "by committee" scoring has almost completely dried up?  That there was no Part 3 goal-scorer to Gibbons' Part 1 and Boyle's Part 2?  Outside of Hall, who can you really count on for goals right now?  Palms is kind of hot at the moment (5 goals in his last 7 GP), though on the whole Palms' year doesn't feel quite as productive as his offensive numbers suggest.  Wood has put up a very respectable 9 goals in his last 27 (a 27-goal pace over 82 GP), but he's not a guy you're expecting to go on some unconscious tear.  Bratt has three goals in his last 27 games (none in 10), and Hischier has 4 in his last 31 (one in his last 16).  Boyle has two points (one goal and one assist) in his last 20 GP...sh!t, by comparison, Travis' 6 goals and 3 assists in his last 18 GP makes him scorching hot.  A guy who clearly could've helped in MoJo is just having one of those seasons where all of his luck (particularly from a health standpoint) has been lousy.  Zacha is showing signs of life, but the back-of-the-net rewards just haven't come for him yet...the guy has two goals in his last 45 GP.

Not saying that every last decision that Hynes makes is perfect, but there's a lot more going on here than just KK not being good.  The guess here is that even if he went with Lack, he'd be just as bad, possibly worse...before you say "How?", just remember that the guy has an .897 save% in his last 60 NHL games, dating back to the start of the 2015-16 season, and if not for Cory getting hurt might not have even gotten another sniff of the NHL this year.

Hopefully someone (preferably multiple someones) not named Hall simply picks up his game soon...be it KK or Lack, Bratt or Hischier, Zacha, SOMEONE.  Like that Palms is on Hall's line for the moment...might as well see if they can help carry this team for a while.   

If coaches keep putting in goalies because they have the current "hot hand" then they have equal reason to take out goalies for stinking up the joint in recent games.  No one will confuse Lack as the second coming of Hasek, but he showed more competency in the 2nd and 3rd period of the last game than KK has shown in the last bunch of games he has played in.

Hynes' job is to put out the best lineup available to him.  If Lack right now (and I really really REALLY stress the words right now) is better, even if it is every so marginally better, he has to put him in.  Instead he is going with wishful thinking that KK can somehow break out of his slump which I have almost no faith he will.

• Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

If coaches keep putting in goalies because they have the current "hot hand" then they have equal reason to take out goalies for stinking up the joint in recent games.  No one will confuse Lack as the second coming of Hasek, but he showed more competency in the 2nd and 3rd period of the last game than KK has shown in the last bunch of games he has played in.

Hynes' job is to put out the best lineup available to him.  If Lack right now (and I really really REALLY stress the words right now) is better, even if it is every so marginally better, he has to put him in.  Instead he is going with wishful thinking that KK can somehow break out of his slump which I have almost no faith he will.

KK was actually doing a good job for a while against Columbus, before it all went to sh!t. 

I would've been fine with Lack getting the game tonight...to me it really is a choice between a wet loose stool sample and a cement-like turd.  I really wish there was that guy in our system that was screaming for a chance based on some tangible, instead of "well at least he's not KK"...like you told me, we're really seeing what life's been like for Flyer fans for so many seasons...only this is even worse. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Damn those are some sobering goal numbers all the way around especially for Bratt, Nico and Zacha.  Bratt and Nico I guess you can say hit the wall, but Zacha never got started.  I'm sure at least for the first two they will bring more consistency next year throughout the entire schedule. Boyle just isn't a guy to put up a lot of points so whatever he brought earlier was an added bonus.  Still plenty of room for improvement on this roster but they've made great strides.

Edited by titans04

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

KK was actually doing a good job for a while against Columbus, before it all went to sh!t. 

I would've been fine with Lack getting the game tonight...to me it really is a choice between a wet loose stool sample and a cement-like turd.  I really wish there was that guy in our system that was screaming for a chance based on some tangible, instead of "well at least he's not KK"...like you told me, we're really seeing what life's been like for Flyer fans for so many seasons...only this is even worse. 

I agree both goalies suck but you have to go with what is probably the marginally lesser of two evils.  KK had maybe 1 decent period in Columbus and was terrible on 2 of the 3 goals against in the Calgary game and a pretty brutal Senators game.  Lack was at least able to pull together 2 straight periods where the goals he gave up wouldn't cause an NHL goaltender to hide in shame.

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

Damn those are some sobering goal numbers all the way around especially for Bratt, Nico and Zacha.  Bratt and Nico I guess you can say hit the wall, but Zacha never got started.  I'm sure at least for the first two they will bring more consistency next year throughout the entire schedule.

Bratt to me is the most glaring.  Nico is at least noticeable (at least to me) during most games.  There are entire periods now where I almost forget Bratt is on the team.  As CR1976 said in a post a day or two ago I hope he just hit a slump and doesn't become another flash in the pan casualty.

Zacha right now is having Zajac-like symptoms.  He does a lot of nice things except for scoring.  I have noticed him a lot more in the past 15 games than at any time in his entire career so far.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Bratt to me is the most glaring.  Nico is at least noticeable (at least to me) during most games.  There are entire periods now where I almost forget Bratt is on the team.  As CR1976 said in a post a day or two ago I hope he just hit a slump and doesn't become another flash in the pan casualty.

Zacha right now is having Zajac-like symptoms.  He does a lot of nice things except for scoring.  I have noticed him a lot more in the past 15 games than at any time in his entire career so far.

Agree completely on Bratt and hoping it's just a prolonged slump.  As for Zacha he has been more visible but at the end of the day 2 in 45 games is just not good enough.  I think it's fair to expect them to fall off the pace down the stretch, just can't have them fall off the map completely.  I also don't think you can count on Gibbon's being something he hasn't been his entire career to date.  Wood goal count is a great surprise to me.  But when you look at the whole group of forwards and the goals scored it's depressing. On D I think they have 23 goals with Serverson and Moore accounting for 14.

just give us this.  There was enough dogsh!t Philly defending in that other thread.  fvck Philly.  I want to see fights tonight.

Yeah I'm not here to blow the fvcking Flyers, fvck that and fvck them. If you couldn't tell, I'm reeeeeallly low on tolerance for other teams, refs and any other a$$holes whose job it is to beat the Devils. I'm also reeeeeealllly low on tolerance for Stinkaid and that zombie looking fvcker behind the bench. So if you wanna talk about how fvcking great the other team is, do me a favor- do it somewhere else and not in my GDT. I'm in an ornary mood, and I'd flat out knock a Flyer flush in the skull with a crowbar if that's what it took to win this game tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I don't disagree with you completely, but I also don't like that logic all that much, because it's a little simplistic if you ask me.  Example, and take it with a grain of salt, but in the days when we had Brodeur, he was head and shoulders above pretty much any backup we ever had.... be it Hedberg, Vanbiesbrouck, Clemmensen, etc.  Like any goalie, he would have off days, sometimes one or two in a row, maybe even three if it was pretty bad, but when that happened, the coach, whether it was Lemaire, Robinson, Ftorek, Burns, didn't just immediately insert backup X into the lineup simply because he was "the better goalie" at that time.  You don't do that for two reasons.   Your starter is your starter for a reason, and on most teams, the starting goalie is significantly better than the backup, and even if he's not immensely better, he's still better to the point where there's a clear cut #1, and a clear cut #2.  Obviously Kinkaid is no Brodeur, but the point is that with your starter, no matter who it is, there's a reasonable expectation that he will eventually start to play his way out of whatever slump he's in.  As a coach you can't make an assessment before the game and say "Well my starting goalie who I know is way better than our backup has sucked the last 2-3 games, so we're going to go with our backup, because who knows when he's going to come out of it, and we can't have another performance like last game".  And to that point, the other reason you don't just throw your backup in there is because goalies don't generally respond well to being tossed around like a yo-yo.  It's not a coincidence that most teams have a guy that plays anywhere in the neighborhood of 50-65 games a year, and the other sees a mere 15-30.  It doesn't matter if it's Kinkaid, Lack, or Brodeur, none of them are going to play very well if they go out onto the ice at the start of the first period and have a feeling in their gut or the back of their minds that they're going to get yanked if they make the slightest mistake.  Goalies thrive on consistency, and it's a huge confidence boost to them knowing that they're the guy, and that even if they have a bad game here or there, which is bound to happen, perhaps even a few back to back, they're most likely still going to get the nod the next game, and a chance to redeem themselves.  I think that's the thought process with Hynes and why he's riding Kinkaid this much and not putting Lack in a little more.  It's not going to do anyone any good (not Kinkaid, not Lack, not the team in front of them), if we are shuffling goalies night in and night out.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would've been fine with Lack getting the game tonight...to me it really is a choice between a wet loose stool sample and a cement-like turd. 

I don't really have anything to say but this sentence was worthy of recognition. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't disagree with you completely, but I also don't like that logic all that much, because it's a little simplistic if you ask me.  Example, and take it with a grain of salt, but in the days when we had Brodeur, he was head and shoulders above pretty much any backup we ever had.... be it Hedberg, Vanbiesbrouck, Clemmensen, etc.  Like any goalie, he would have off days, sometimes one or two in a row, maybe even three if it was pretty bad, but when that happened, the coach, whether it was Lemaire, Robinson, Ftorek, Burns, didn't just immediately insert backup X into the lineup simply because he was "the better goalie" at that time.  You don't do that for two reasons.   Your starter is your starter for a reason, and on most teams, the starting goalie is significantly better than the backup, and even if he's not immensely better, he's still better to the point where there's a clear cut #1, and a clear cut #2.  Obviously Kinkaid is no Brodeur, but the point is that with your starter, no matter who it is, there's a reasonable expectation that he will eventually start to play his way out of whatever slump he's in.  As a coach you can't make an assessment before the game and say "Well my starting goalie who I know is way better than our backup has sucked the last 2-3 games, so we're going to go with our backup, because who knows when he's going to come out of it, and we can't have another performance like last game".  And to that point, the other reason you don't just throw your backup in there is because goalies don't generally respond well to being tossed around like a yo-yo.  It's not a coincidence that most teams have a guy that plays anywhere in the neighborhood of 50-65 games a year, and the other sees a mere 15-30.  It doesn't matter if it's Kinkaid, Lack, or Brodeur, none of them are going to play very well if they go out onto the ice at the start of the first period and have a feeling in their gut or the back of their minds that they're going to get yanked if they make the slightest mistake.  Goalies thrive on consistency, and it's a huge confidence boost to them knowing that they're the guy, and that even if they have a bad game here or there, which is bound to happen, perhaps even a few back to back, they're most likely still going to get the nod the next game, and a chance to redeem themselves.  I think that's the thought process with Hynes and why he's riding Kinkaid this much and not putting Lack in a little more.  It's not going to do anyone any good (not Kinkaid, not Lack, not the team in front of them), if we are shuffling goalies night in and night out.

Making the comparisons to our situation now with Brodeur and whatever backup we had at the time is beyond reaching.  To compare Brodeur with X as backup to KK and Lack are two totally different worlds. 

If Beezer, Clemmer or Moose had a shutout I remember it not being too uncommon for the coaches to at least consider them an option for the next game.  Hell I remember the coaches sometimes giving them another start if they were coming off a shutout victory.  I know not exactly the same, but the coaches did consider the hot hand in those cases so don't try to make it like it is not unheard of that Brodeur didn't start back to back games due to a great performance from a backup.

And don't make this like Hynes is being unfair to KK here.  He has given KK a very long leash by starting him in the Calgary game and then even more so in the Columbus game after he pretty much cost us the game against the Flames.  I don't know how much more he can let KK cost the team to try to regain whatever remains of his shattered confidence back.  And goalies thriving on consistency is overblown.  What happens when the consistency they provide is utter crap like in KK's case? 

Also with the bolded sentence, I cannot even begin to list the number of times teams have at least gotten by with shuffling goalies.  Vegas has iced, what 4 or 5 goalies so far this year and they seem to be doing fine as an example.